Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bare feet - socially unacceptable?? page

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member

Bare feet - socially unacceptable??

Primal Fuel
    My brother came to visit a week ago. As he was coming down the long drive on his big ole' motorcycle we all (myself and the four kids) went out to greet him in the driveway. We live rurally, the weather was glorious, and we all are happy running around in our bare feet (and always have) so that is how we met him once he had turned the bike off - barefooted. Right after "hello" we all got a comment about how we are turning hillbilly because of our shoeless state (we moved to the country 7 years ago).

It wasn't said sarcastically, but I have been getting a lot of that from the in-laws (who truly are wonderful in-laws) and my own father as well. It doesn't matter if we are indoors or not, our houses or theirs - the lack of some kind of footwear seems to be getting a lot of commentary lately. (We always make sure to have clean, neat feet...)

Does this happen to you? It is not like I am trying to go barefoot into a restaurant - this is at home. How many of you spend your private time barefooted (outside of the beach or pool, that is) and/or how much time are your feet au naturel??

My sister-in-law goes one further - she categorically states that feet are gross, hers included, and should never see the light of day outside of the bath tub or podiatrist.

Foot feelings, anyone?

Westly is offline Senior Member
    My grandma grew up poor, like they didn't have any shoes.

She always made sure that I wore shoes because not wearing shoes was "poor" and it was kind of a thing with her.

It turned me into, as I've heard it called elsewhere, a soft-paw. A person who has to pick their way through the concrete for fear of stepping on a pebble. Also, HOT!

But, yeah, it's a thing. You get called redneck, or hillbilly, or whatnot for not having shoes. O.o
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    My sister-in-law goes one further - she categorically states that feet are gross, hers included, and should never see the light of day outside of the bath tub or podiatrist.
    You have only one recourse. Gain gymnast level flexibility and only pass things to her with your feet.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    The local sheriff here tried to tell me it was against the health code for me to walk into a store barefoot. Of course he was wrong.

I regularly walk into stores barefoot these days, although it does draw a lot of attention to me and I'm not used to all the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    You have only one recourse. Gain gymnast level flexibility and only pass things to her with your feet.

Archaeloidic is offline Junior Member
    It is unfortunately "socially unacceptable" due to preconceived notions of what constitutes "normal" and/or "acceptable". The only way to change that is for more and more individuals to do it, and together (in groups), no less...

Btw, are you a member of the Society for Barefoot Living (Facebook)?

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeloidic View Post
    It is unfortunately "socially unacceptable" due to preconceived notions of what constitutes "normal" and/or "acceptable". The only way to change that is for more and more individuals to do it, and together (in groups), no less...

Btw, are you a member of the Society for Barefoot Living (Facebook)?
    No, but I just clicked on this, and it looks really interesting!

Thank You!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I spend most all of my private time at home barefoot... inside and outside of the house as long as I'm in my yard or there about, unless I'm doing some task that sort of make shoes more necessary IMO. Yard work types of things.

I do not, and will not, go into public buildings such as gas stations, grocery stores, or whatever barefoot.
    The idea of possibly needing to use the ladies room while on my errand... ummm... NO!
    Not happening.
    I won't barefoot on sidewalks/parking lots and in high foot traffic areas... partially because FL is just too HOT most of the year, and partially because people are often gross.
    They spit, spit tobbaco juice or just wads of dip/chew, flip lit cigarette butts, hock flem/snot wads, chewed gum... the list goes on...
    It's a mine field of grossness. Certain times of year there are crazy numbers of birds in the parking lots... poop anyone?
    I'd rather relax and walk than try and watch for all of that.
    I wear my VFFs when away from the house.

When heading somewhere like the beach I have a pair of VFFs wit me for possible stops in public businesses and such.
    When in other public places such as parks with grassy areas I certainly feel free to shuck them though.

**edit...

-It is not against the law to go barefoot into any kind of establishment including restaurants.

-It is also not against any health department regulation.

While both of the above statements are true, it is also true that an independent, privately owned business has the right to refuse service to anyone... and sometimes they do.
    Last edited by cori93437; 10-05-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I spend all my time at home barefoot - in fact I chose my flat based almost only on the fact that I loe the floors here - beautiful oak. Most of the time in my office I am barefoot too - but I have my own office and obviously put on some nice heels to trot around I also try to walk barefoot outside as much as I can - having spent most of my childhood summers outside&barefoot, I have high tolerance to pebbles/sticks etc. I just wish I could be barefoot all the time

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm always barefoot at home, although in winter I wear socks because my feet get cold. I sometimes garden barefoot, but usually wear flip flops for that. When I was a kid I went barefoot nearly all summer long.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast