Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bare feet - socially unacceptable?? page 4

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    My brother came to visit a week ago. As he was coming down the long drive on his big ole' motorcycle we all (myself and the four kids) went out to greet him in the driveway. We live rurally, the weather was glorious, and we all are happy running around in our bare feet (and always have) so that is how we met him once he had turned the bike off - barefooted. Right after "hello" we all got a comment about how we are turning hillbilly because of our shoeless state (we moved to the country 7 years ago).

It wasn't said sarcastically, but I have been getting a lot of that from the in-laws (who truly are wonderful in-laws) and my own father as well. It doesn't matter if we are indoors or not, our houses or theirs - the lack of some kind of footwear seems to be getting a lot of commentary lately. (We always make sure to have clean, neat feet...)

Does this happen to you? It is not like I am trying to go barefoot into a restaurant - this is at home. How many of you spend your private time barefooted (outside of the beach or pool, that is) and/or how much time are your feet au naturel??

My sister-in-law goes one further - she categorically states that feet are gross, hers included, and should never see the light of day outside of the bath tub or podiatrist.

Foot feelings, anyone?
    I love my feet. That is why they are my avatar. One is bigger than the other, which make them all the more spectacular!

From a health standpoint, going barefoot is better for your body from what I can tell. You are in your own home so you do what you wish and laugh or shrug off the comments. I suppose, for politeness' sake, you can slip on a pair of socks when you are at your in-laws?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Your home, your rules. So, barefeet in your home is cool. Someone (even family) commenting negatively on it is rude. As a guest in someone's home (even family) the guest respects the host and his/her rules.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I spend about 80% of my time when off from work barefoot and I'm a member of the SBL on FB. Once you get used to it, you never want to put on shoes again but there is a social stigma associated with going BF in the USA. Wrong opinions on laws and regulations, etc. In Egypt nobody seems to care, I do get the odd looks but come to think about it, I get them with shoes on.

There is a ton of information out there on the reasons to go barefoot for your health. My personal expierence is that I have much less knee pain when I'm either barefoot or wearing something like VFFs. Our feet were just not designed to be incased in modern shoes.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    This post kinda reminds me of my dad. He's never criticized mom and me, but he wears shoes all. The. Time. It drives mom a little batty sometimes when he tracks snow into the house.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234