Thread: Hugh F-W rabbit recipes page

badgergirl is online now Senior Member

Hugh F-W rabbit recipes

Shop Now
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    yumm. i like rabbit gumbo too. you can make pretty much any chicken recipe with rabbit except it is much lower fat so you need to consider that when you cook it.

there is some real nice recipes here
    Rabbit, Hare and Squirrel Recipes - Recipes for Rabbits and Hares | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook i just need to get a rabbit now to try them with.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    *swoon*

I hunted rabbits often as a kid... fond memories.

Now... I make do with domestics.
    It would be nice to have access to cottontails again though. FL just really doesn't have them like up north.

That pot of rillettes... coked apple relish and toast be damned...
    How about piled onto slices of fresh gorgeous Honey Crisp apple.
    Pork belly and Rabbit... I could honestly KISS you...
    I might even stab my husband if he gets too close!

I had duck for dinner today (duck and swordfish)...
    Time to find some Rabbits!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

we got rabbits for africa around here. i just have to get off my ass and shoot them. for some reason i only ever see them when i am out and nowhere near the gun cabinet lol what did you make with duck and swordfish? pretty cool combo

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    we got rabbits for africa around here. i just have to get off my ass and shoot them. for some reason i only ever see them when i am out and nowhere near the gun cabinet lol what did you make with duck and swordfish? pretty cool combo
    I had saved up a set of legs separate... because I usually do seared breasts rare, then break down the rest of the carcass and roast it, remove the fat for cooking, put back the legs and thighs for later, and bag the other bones for broth.
    So had I roasted them until all tender slow and put them back.
    I thawed them, spiced up the outside (just a hint if allspice)... and seared them off in bacon grease to get them hot and a little crispy.

I had a couple of the little legs and so did husband with a salad.
    Kind of a treat for Friday night.

Then he had a steak and I had a swordfish steak.
    With a lovely mixed veg. and husband got garlic mash potatoes as well.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

totally yummy! i had venison liver which is a once in a blue moon food. i think i still have a duck in my freezer which i can try allspice with. it hadnt occured to me as a flavour combo before. one of the kids took the others out and put them in my pet food fridge without telling me when they had to put some birthday party icecream away. grr. i spent about a week wondering how something had managed to remove the ducks from the freezer as i knew no small child who came to a kids party would steal them. then i went to the dog tucker fridge to get the dog's dinner. moved a few bags around and accidentally found them well and truly thawed. i had to feed them to the hawks as the dog wouldnt touch them

The allspice requires a very light hand, just a whisper you know... but I like it. It kind of sings with the duck and bacon flavors.

Wasted ducks... someone should be keel hauled!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Wasted ducks... someone should be keel hauled!
    i know! but it was too late and i got to see the hawk just sitting on my compost heap really close up so i try to look on the positive. i am now very careful about letting the kids put anything in the freezer after that.

Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Marvellous! We bought 2 rabbits from our local butcher just yesterday morning! Love the first recipe, though I will probably make a stew out of mine. Maybe like the pie, but without the pie crust..

Pollyanna12 is offline Member
    H F-W's bunny burgers are a big hit in my house. light and very tasty. the only problem is that getting rabbit mince is difficult, so it involves a lot of butchery on a smallish carcass to get enough for a large family.