Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating chicken gives me stomach pain, anyone else? page

cookie is offline Senior Member

eating chicken gives me stomach pain, anyone else?

Primal Fuel
    this may sound odd, but it seems that every time i eat a lean cut of chicken (my mother-in-law made me a half a boneless, skinless breast on the grill, she loves low fat), i get horrible stomach pains. i ate it atop a small salad with plenty of oil and pecans for fat, and it was a really small piece of chicken. but it NEVER fails that i have crippling stomach pain in my upper abdomen, right between my ribs, every time i eat a lean cut of chicken. i then have a horribly painful, loose, and time consuming (45 minutes, twice today!!) bowel movements 2 days afterward. this isn't a one time thing, it is every freakin time! it possible that it's too lean? am i crazy? i love to eat fatty skin-on drumsticks etc, but i just can't digest lean chicken. is it possible to not possess enough bile to digest it? anyone else?
    ps sorry for the gross toilet story. it wasn't pretty.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Could be a number of things including lack of HCL, undercooking the chicken, ect... What happens when you eat other meats? If you're not producing enough HCL it could cause stomach pains when consuming proteins...

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    It could be a poultry allergy. Do you get the same reaction from dark meat?
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

i'm not certain what hcl is, i just know it has something to do with digestive enzymes. is it possible to try adding something to my diet to increase the hcl in my body?
    i feel like if i eat small meals, very slowly, i can digest chicken somewhat. but still with difficulty.
    it seems as though dark meats don't give me such a volatile reaction. i eat such small portions of beef and other meats at a time that it's hard to say. i have been eating small bits of meat throughout the day because i feel a little more ease when i'm not eating big meals. i had been thinking all along that i wasn't producing enough of some digestive liquid/enzyme at one time to digest big (normal sized) meals. it's getting old. and painful.
    thanks for any help, guys!

Might want to get your HCL tested (digests protein), if you're not producing enough then you're not digesting or absorbing it. Eating the fat makes it easier on your digestive system because more enzymes are released, and eating in small portions is ok because maybe you can produce small amounts of HCL, just not enough.

You can supplement with HCL, but Id advise you go see a GOOD practitioner first. Might want to run a IgG antibody test to see if you have any sensitivities with poultry.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

i just moved to a new city, and don't have insurance or a doctor for a while. i think i'm going to have to try and crack this one on my own for a while. any tips? just small meals and good fat intake?
    can't thank you enough for the help!

Yeah if it hurts, don't eat it. Your body won't lie to you if you're not lying to it with fake processed foods.

i wonder if there is a way to stimulate my body to make more hcl on it's own? what would cause such a drop in the first place? my appetite used to be outrageous. can you recommend any foods or supplements to try?

More protein haha... There are HCL supplements, but I really don't recommend that without proper testing. A deficiency of HCL could be caused by gastrointestinal stress and problems from eating inflammatory foods, and bad lifestyle factors..

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Actually, there's a pretty simple way to tell whether or not you have low HCl. Get some supplements (with betain, another digestive enzyme) and take one after you eat. If you feel nothing, the next time you eat, take two. Do that until you begin to feel heartburn, and reduce the number of pills until you don't have heartburn anymore. If your levels are good, you may get heartburn when you take the first one. Have a cup of water with a teaspoon of baking soda in it ready just in case.

There are other things that you can get that will stimulate digestion.
    Bitters
    ginger tea
    chewing gum
    aloe vera juice

If low stomach acid is indeed your issue, the small meals are best, chewing your food very thoroughly and very little water or other liquid (unless it's ginger tea before or after your meal) while you're eating and for some time afterward so as to not dilute your stomach acid any more.
    Last edited by fyrespryte; 04-07-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast