Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One way I can tell when I'm in ketosis... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

One way I can tell when I'm in ketosis...

Primal Fuel
    Whenever I hit ketosis, my body temperature seems to drop. It has nothing to do with fasting specifically, but just the general state of ketogenesis. I can fast for 24 hours after a reefed and still not be in ketosis and body temp is normal. Or I can eat a high fat meal and enter into ketosis, and bam, body temp drops.

When I'm in ketosis, I get cold all over. Not, like, unbearably so, but it's definitely noticeable. I've noticed this for a while, and it seems to be a pretty reliable indicator.

Am I the only one that has noticed this? I wonder if it means anything.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I notice it, too. I get goosebumps, I've been wondering if maybe they have something to do with fat cells emptying out fat for energy?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I notice it, too. I get goosebumps, I've been wondering if maybe they have something to do with fat cells emptying out fat for energy?
    Possibly. I was also thinking that the reduction of fat cells means less "insulation" on your body. But then, I'm pretty skinny, so if that were true, I'd be cold all the time, and it just seems to be when I'm in ketosis.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Low carbohydrate diets can slow thyroid and therefore metabolic rate. Since ketogenic diets are the lowest carbohydrate diets possible, you may want to get your thyroid checked, particularly T3, T4, TSH and rT3 to make sure you aren't suffering. It wouldn't hurt to get your estrogen and testosterone checked as low testosterone/elevated estrogen are signs of stress. If you're cold, it sounds like your body is under stress and your thyroid is taking a hit. You may want to consider significantly elevating your sodium intake, taking kelp for iodine...or eating some carbohydrate.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed it too, but I'm not really concerned about it. Overall I feel great, it feels nice to wear a long sleeved shirt. Of course it is Autumn now, the air is drier and the temp is lower so I'm not sure if it is just the ketosis.

I monitor ketosis with the wee pee sticks and I'm typically in light to moderate ketosis. Interestingly, when I fast (I'm nearing the end of a 48-hour fast now), I warm up on the second day.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230.5
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Low carbohydrate diets can slow thyroid and therefore metabolic rate. Since ketogenic diets are the lowest carbohydrate diets possible, you may want to get your thyroid checked, particularly T3, T4, TSH and rT3 to make sure you aren't suffering. It wouldn't hurt to get your estrogen and testosterone checked as low testosterone/elevated estrogen are signs of stress. If you're cold, it sounds like your body is under stress and your thyroid is taking a hit. You may want to consider significantly elevating your sodium intake, taking kelp for iodine...or eating some carbohydrate.
    I get some seaweed in my diet twice a week at least, sometimes three. So iodine levels should be normal. I eat a lot of eggs which are also a decent source of it.

Also, if my thyroid were the problem, wouldn't it seem more likely that I was cold ALL the time, and not just while in ketosis? I mean running on glucose for a short period wouldn't act as a "magic" fix for the thyroid if it was having issues, would it?

My testosterone levels are likely normal because my libido is healthy, my energy levels are fairly solid (most of the time, anyway), and my workouts are progressing nicely.

I probably could stand to get a bit more sodium in my diet however, I will agree with that. I should really make a point of that.

It's not like I run entirely on ketosis all the time either. Couple of days ago I went to a baseball game and had an entire plate of fries and a beer. Not exactly primal, I know, but come on, I was at a baseball game which I rarely go to anyway, so cut me some slack.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I notice that, as well. It's interesting to me, because I don't perceive the often-cited acetone breath. But the ketone urine strips (blood meter would be better, but ...) coloration correlates well with the coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    I notice that, as well. It's interesting to me, because I don't perceive the often-cited acetone breath. But the ketone urine strips (blood meter would be better, but ...) coloration correlates well with the coolness.
    Yep, this is totally the case that I am finding. ChocoTaco suggested thyroid issues, but to me, it wouldn't make sense that this is the cause because I would be cold ALL the time, not just while in ketosis, as a dose of glucose or carbs wouldn't just magically act as a temporary fix.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Yep, this is totally the case that I am finding. ChocoTaco suggested thyroid issues, but to me, it wouldn't make sense that this is the cause because I would be cold ALL the time, not just while in ketosis, as a dose of glucose or carbs wouldn't just magically act as a temporary fix.
    Thyroid function can be normal but VLC/ketosis MAY inhibit thyroid hormone conversion. Some literature suggests that at least 50 grams of carbs/day is needed for T4 (storage hormone) to be converted to T3 (active hormone). What may be happening while in ketosis is that T4 is converted into the unusable reverse T3.

Getting adequate glucose might "act as a temporary fix"because it allows T4 to be converted to the usuable T3 instead of the unusable rT3.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cahco is confused. There is a reduction in some thyroid hormones but that's equivalent to the reduction in some of your pancreas hormones when you go low carb.

I don't get cold at all when I'm in ketosis. In fact, I'm more cold tolerant, more energetic, have more energy for aerobic activities and feel clearer of mind and with more of a sunny disposition. These are not the symptoms of someone with a defective thyroid.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast