Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One way I can tell when I'm in ketosis... page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Wow. I can't believe I just ran across this post. I have been so cold lately and I thought it was really weird. I was thinking with the change in my diet maybe my iron was low. My sister is always cold and after going to the doctor they said it was because she was anemic. I was thinking maybe I should have that checked although it's never been a problem before. I just turned up the heat and put on a sweater. Glad to know this seems to be somewhat normal. My pee strips are pretty purple and I am pretty cold so...... there you have it. I don't know much about thyroid function but I do know that every time I go to the doctor for my weight issue they always think it will be my thyroid and the blood work always comes back fine.
    The coldness is likely due to a metabolic slowdown. There are those that always say that ANY metabolic slowdown is bad, but if your blood work and thyroid figures are in shape then you're probably just fine.

Also, there's the interesting theory that a slower metabolism is good for preventing chronic diseases like cancer that rely on energy to spur the cell growth of the disease and it also slows signs of aging as a result of slower cell growth and aging. But that's just speculation.

I still don't see being a bit colder as a real problem though, unless your numbers start coming back a bit wonky. Then, MAYBE you need to rethink your diet a bit.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I'm cold. Cold at work, cold at home - I sleep with a blanket and a comforter doubled up on me. The only time I feel warm is when I am at the gym working out. Just was at the doc too - thyroid function is great. This always happens when I am hard-core primal and am keeping my carbs below 35 gm... Other than that, I feel great!

Plus, Ohio is too damn cold anyway!!!!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Also, there's the interesting theory that a slower metabolism is good for preventing chronic diseases like cancer that rely on energy to spur the cell growth of the disease and it also slows signs of aging as a result of slower cell growth and aging. But that's just speculation.
    I somewhat agree to this. I feel like people around here shoot down anything that has to do with slower metabolisms, but I kind of feel that it can have its positives, too. I wouldn't want to stay in either boat for very, very long periods of time (I like periods where I eat lots!), but there are advantages and drawbacks to everything, and the balancing act is a quite nice fallback.

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I somewhat agree to this. I feel like people around here shoot down anything that has to do with slower metabolisms, but I kind of feel that it can have its positives, too. I wouldn't want to stay in either boat for very, very long periods of time (I like periods where I eat lots!), but there are advantages and drawbacks to everything, and the balancing act is a quite nice fallback.
    This is one arguement for running off ketones for a while and then transitioning out of it and then after a while, going back in. You get the benefits of a slowed metabolism for a while without having to worry about long-term damage. I like to fast for example, when I feel any kind of sickness coming on. Lately I have found that fasting (or forced ketosis as it were) has been amazing at stopping any kind of sickness or illness before it has a chance to really take hold.

TrevorSorensen is offline Junior Member
    I have noticed that recently my feet have been getting extremely cold. I assumed that it was the temperature (20 degrees yesterday), but I have dropped my carbs the past couple of days.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Lao-tzu

Nutrition, Wellness, and Lifestyle Blog http://trevorsorensen.weebly.com

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Q: when using ketone strips to test, will a large dose of vitamin C or other vitamins throw the test off?

Noticed since doing large dose of C they turn extra red...

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Q: when using ketone strips to test, will a large dose of vitamin C or other vitamins throw the test off?

Noticed since doing large dose of C they turn extra red...
    I've heard that citric acid, which is added to many beverages (even unsweetened ones) can trigger an insulin reaction and knock some people out of ketosis. It is either derived from citric fruits or made synthetically.

But I've never really heard much of a connection between vitamin C (absorbic acid) and ketosis before.

This article (yeah, yeah lactating cows, but it's the best I could do on short notice) seems to indicate little or no connection between vitamin C levels and ketosis: Plasma vitamin C concentration is not related ... [J Vet Med Sci. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Yeah I wouldn't think C would impact ketosis, just wondering if it confuses the test strip?

For some reason after starting mega C dose it reads much higher ketosis. Turns deep red instantly.

...I know these strips are quirky, should get a blood meter.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't think C would impact ketosis, just wondering if it confuses the test strip?

For some reason after starting mega C dose it reads much higher ketosis. Turns deep red instantly.

...I know these strips are quirky, should get a blood meter.
    Urine test strip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wiki says vitamin C can in fact "confuse" ketone strip results. Who knew?

That must be it. Found another site which says the same thing.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/urin...alse-positives

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123