Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One way I can tell when I'm in ketosis... page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Thyroid function can be normal but VLC/ketosis MAY inhibit thyroid hormone conversion. Some literature suggests that at least 50 grams of carbs/day is needed for T4 (storage hormone) to be converted to T3 (active hormone). What may be happening while in ketosis is that T4 is converted into the unusable reverse T3.

Getting adequate glucose might "act as a temporary fix"because it allows T4 to be converted to the usuable T3 instead of the unusable rT3.
    Hmmm... I see.

There are lots of reasons to do occasional carb refeeds, and this is another one.

I actually don't believe that long-term ketosis is necessarily harmful, but it should include occasional doses of carbs to keep the metabolism in check, keep leptin levels regulated, ect...

That of course, translates less to long-term ketosis than more of a cyclical ketosis I suppose...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Cahco is confused. There is a reduction in some thyroid hormones but that's equivalent to the reduction in some of your pancreas hormones when you go low carb.

I don't get cold at all when I'm in ketosis. In fact, I'm more cold tolerant, more energetic, have more energy for aerobic activities and feel clearer of mind and with more of a sunny disposition. These are not the symptoms of someone with a defective thyroid.
    I notice all of what you are saying, that I am more energetic, have a clearer mind, and am generally in a better mood when in ketosis. The only difference is the bodily temperature. And as I've said, I don't know what the cause is, or what it may be trying to tell me if anything.

And it's not like I become a frozen mess either. I just notice I feel a little, well... Cooler.

PetrusNebraska is offline Junior Member
    I was looking for symptoms of ketosis and stumbled on this. I have been eating quasi-primal for several months. Certainly not in ketosis but my fasting blood sugar has been steadily declining. I am not diabetic but about every 5 days will check with a glucometer. My latest reading was 97 which is waay better than in had been thanks to eating more primally.

Anyway I've got little kids so the thermometer is always close at hand and I ALWAYS registered 98.7. Since dropping my carbs way down it always seems to be much lower perhaps 97.1. Didn't make much of it but perhaps there is a nexus with blood sugar/ketosis. I would agree with Drumroll-I feel great and my thyroid is pretty closely watched (hoping to drop the Synthroid pill). I'm sure my thyroid and sex hormones stuff is all near normal.

I wonder if a lower temp might equate to a body attempting to find a new normal with diet/exercise behaviors changing?

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I eat too few calories, I get cold. Whenever I eat too many calories, I am hot for hours. Maybe because when you're in ketosis, you tend toward eating fewer calories? I don't think there are any metabolic advantages or disadvantages of being in ketosis, but generally speaking, when you drop calories, your body compensates a little bit by burning less, and an easy way of doing that is decreasing body temperature.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Whenever I eat too few calories, I get cold. Whenever I eat too many calories, I am hot for hours. Maybe because when you're in ketosis, you tend toward eating fewer calories? I don't think there are any metabolic advantages or disadvantages of being in ketosis, but generally speaking, when you drop calories, your body compensates a little bit by burning less, and an easy way of doing that is decreasing body temperature.
    Bingo! Even in deep nutritional ketosis, as long as I enough food, I feel just fine temperature wise. If anything, I tend to feel warmer. Generally more tolerant of both temp extremes.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Whenever I hit ketosis, my body temperature seems to drop. It has nothing to do with fasting specifically, but just the general state of ketogenesis. I can fast for 24 hours after a reefed and still not be in ketosis and body temp is normal. Or I can eat a high fat meal and enter into ketosis, and bam, body temp drops.

When I'm in ketosis, I get cold all over. Not, like, unbearably so, but it's definitely noticeable. I've noticed this for a while, and it seems to be a pretty reliable indicator.

Am I the only one that has noticed this? I wonder if it means anything.
    STOP SPREADING LIES ABOUT THE ULTIMATE METABOLIC STATE KETOSIS.
    Seriously though, it's one of the unpleasant side effects people can experience as it slows your metabolism. Even atkins and rosedale acknowledge this, thought don't say it here or you'll be attacked by ketosis apologists.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Why is a decrease in metabolism bad? Doesn't a constant increase mean that you're killing yourself faster?

Jan
    Jan is offline Junior Member
    Wow. I can't believe I just ran across this post. I have been so cold lately and I thought it was really weird. I was thinking with the change in my diet maybe my iron was low. My sister is always cold and after going to the doctor they said it was because she was anemic. I was thinking maybe I should have that checked although it's never been a problem before. I just turned up the heat and put on a sweater. Glad to know this seems to be somewhat normal. My pee strips are pretty purple and I am pretty cold so...... there you have it. I don't know much about thyroid function but I do know that every time I go to the doctor for my weight issue they always think it will be my thyroid and the blood work always comes back fine.

Jan
    Jan is offline Junior Member
    BTW - forgotmylastusername made me laugh out loud. (the username - not the post)

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I know when I am in ketosis because I feel I smell like acetone. Also, my skin is very dry (in particular the hands) which is quite disturbing.

These were the negative aspect. The positive aspect is that I feel full of energy despite being fasting. Also, the bloating is completely gone (I get bloated easily with starches and milk, nothing unheard of I think...).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast