Thread: Sprint alternatives w/ pulled hamstring page

heatherdarbs Guest

Sprint alternatives w/ pulled hamstring

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My hamstring is tight and when I tried to do sprints Monday, it just wasn't going to happen without further injury. I did 4 sets of tabata that day and a jump rope version of Peak 8 today.

Any idea if this is a worthwhile substitute until my hamstring lets me sprint, again?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that was my whole summer. i pulled my hamstring early on, and when it felt better i started sprinting again and pulled it again. i took off two full months and changed up my whole sprint routine, including a dynamic warm up. i'm finally back to doing them, just lighter than before.
    here are a few of the things i tried/considered during my convalescence:
    HIIT burpees/ladder burpees
    tuck jumps/squat jumps
    stationary bike HIIT
    stair runs
    hill sprints carrying a sandbag (can't go much faster than a jog...easy on the joints and hamstrings)
    depending on your fitness level, jump rope or jumping jacks can be good too.

from a metabolic standpoint, you can do just about anything that will get your heartrate up nice and high, but these movements really work those deep, fast twitch muscles like sprinting.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that was my whole summer. i pulled my hamstring early on, and when it felt better i started sprinting again and pulled it again. i took off two full months and changed up my whole sprint routine, including a dynamic warm up. i'm finally back to doing them, just lighter than before.
    here are a few of the things i tried/considered during my convalescence:
    HIIT burpees/ladder burpees
    tuck jumps/squat jumps
    stationary bike HIIT
    stair runs
    hill sprints carrying a sandbag (can't go much faster than a jog...easy on the joints and hamstrings)
    depending on your fitness level, jump rope or jumping jacks can be good too.

from a metabolic standpoint, you can do just about anything that will get your heartrate up nice and high, but these movements really work those deep, fast twitch muscles like sprinting.
    Sorry to hear it takes so long...damn! Glad I skipped the sprint attempt this morning.

Ok good - I'm glad you responded, because I did the burpees and squat jumps during my tabata session, in addition to high knees at the fastest pace I could get and was pretty famished afterwards....felt that weird buzz you get (or maybe that's just me?). Ladder burpees? I'll have to look that one up.

Also, good to the heart rate comment; that was my goal. My monitor this morning read high during the jump rope session. Although, not as nigh as sprints, but nothing feels quite the same as sprints! I'll try stair runs this weekend - thank you!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdarbs View Post
    Sorry to hear it takes so long...damn! Glad I skipped the sprint attempt this morning.

Ok good - I'm glad you responded, because I did the burpees and squat jumps during my tabata session, in addition to high knees at the fastest pace I could get and was pretty famished afterwards....felt that weird buzz you get (or maybe that's just me?). Ladder burpees? I'll have to look that one up.

Also, good to the heart rate comment; that was my goal. My monitor this morning read high during the jump rope session. Although, not as nigh as sprints, but nothing feels quite the same as sprints! I'll try stair runs this weekend - thank you!
    true, nothing feels like sprints, and in my opinion, nothing is as good as sprints. once your leg starts feeling better, you could also try some interval running. it's basically sprinting, but with more distance and endurance than actual 100 yd dashes, or whatever you were doing. run 1/4 mile sets at the fastest pace you can manage for that long, get a good long recovery, and repeat. these are obviously easiest on a track. you can't go all out, or you're done after 20 seconds, so try for a pace that will knock you out in about a minute or so.

ladder burpees...do the following reps as quickly as possible: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. that equals 100 and a certain desire to barf all over the place.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    true, nothing feels like sprints, and in my opinion, nothing is as good as sprints. once your leg starts feeling better, you could also try some interval running. it's basically sprinting, but with more distance and endurance than actual 100 yd dashes, or whatever you were doing. run 1/4 mile sets at the fastest pace you can manage for that long, get a good long recovery, and repeat. these are obviously easiest on a track. you can't go all out, or you're done after 20 seconds, so try for a pace that will knock you out in about a minute or so.

ladder burpees...do the following reps as quickly as possible: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. that equals 100 and a certain desire to barf all over the place.

Ah - that's what I'll try tomorrow on the track. If I feel I can ease into a sprint, I'll give it a shot, but otherwise keep a quicker pace for a longer duration. I tried the Peak 8 (full 30 second sprints 8X) the first time I did sprints and thought I was going to collapse from lack of catching my breath - ha! I thought my lungs were rockstar, but I was WRONG WRONG!

Maybe I'll attempt the barf burpees next week...

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Ladder burpees --

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ... 7 ... 8 ... 9 ... 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1

That middle third can suck, in a wonderful way, especially if you're careful about form (strict, not sagging your back).

total = 100 burpees (go to 11 and the total is 121; 12 --> 144. see the pattern? square the high number)

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try swimming as your sprint workout while your hamstring heals up.
    You still use your legs, but not to the degree that you would on land, and you would still get the benefits of going all out, and working with an oxygen defecit like you do with regular sprints.
    Something to consider.....

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Ladder burpees --

1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5 ... 6 ... 7 ... 8 ... 9 ... 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1

That middle third can suck, in a wonderful way, especially if you're careful about form (strict, not sagging your back).

total = 100 burpees (go to 11 and the total is 121; 12 --> 144. see the pattern? square the high number)
    I see - and holy crap; gonna try that for sure. Hopefully I'm alive to reap the benefits! My problem seems to be not knowing how much is enough. Before I know it, it's an hour later by trying to squeeze in so many different moves.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Maybe try swimming as your sprint workout while your hamstring heals up.
    You still use your legs, but not to the degree that you would on land, and you would still get the benefits of going all out, and working with an oxygen defecit like you do with regular sprints.
    Something to consider.....
    I always forget about swimming - that was the main option when I'd have (regular running) injuries. In retrospect, this is an old injury from trying to push a water-filled base stand with my leg - not even related to fitness! Stupid. I went to the track today and tried a mini sprint and my form sucked, because I was favoring that leg, so I just trotted for a couple miles and called it a day. Then some guy sped past me in his own sprint. Erg.

Thanks for all the suggestions; it gives me a lot to choose from - phew.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Ladder burpees --

Any rest in between these guys or just go and see what you can pull off? Any other moves added or is this enough to wipe me out?