Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Young to be Old page 2

Diogenes is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Today's workout:

Pushups. I love pushups. Probably too many reps, but I wanted to see how my body reacted. Result--some tired arms. It will probably be several weeks before I am doing regular pushups, got to make sure my elbows and shoulders are ready for the stress. By spring I hope to be doing pushups heavily favoring one arm, working toward strict one-arm pushups.

Wall Pushups 1x40
    Incline Pushups 3x30
    Knee Pushups 1x20

Exercise descriptions:

Wall Pushups:
    - Stand about arms length from wall
    - Place hands on wall
    - Bend arms until forehead touches wall
    - Press back to starting position
    - Intensity may be increased/decreased by positioning feet further/closer to wall
    - 2 seconds down, pause 1 second, 2 seconds up

Incline Pushups
    - Lean on kitchen counter so your body is straight and your arms are perpindicular to your body
    - Lower your chest to counter
    - Press back to startig position
    - Increase/decrease intensity by using a lower/higher surface
    - 2-1-2 timing

Knee Pushups
    - Similar to regular pushup, but with knees on floor
    - aka "girl pushups"
    - 2-1-2 timing

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Primal Primate, what is Flapper Pie? Or maybe I don't want to know.
    Flapper pie is a Canadian dessert common on the prairies - its basically a custard pie with meringue topping and a crumbled graham cracker crust. There is nothing healthy about it but damn it sure does taste good! This is why I avoid it at all cost…now.
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Diet could have been better the last several days, too much birthday cake, too many grain-based munchies, etc. Exercises are going well, I'll probably take a 3-day break now to give my body a rest. I'm starting to feel like a buff guy who is wearing a fat suit, lol. Tentative plan is to be down to 215 for New Years, 200 around Easter, and my goal weight of 185 for the 4th of July. Current weight 225. Wish me luck!

Today's workout:

Flat Knee Raises 3x40
    Planks 1 x 95 seconds
    Side Planks 1 x 50 seconds, each side

Exercise descriptions:

Bent Knee Raises:
    - Lie on your back and bend your knees 90 degrees, with feet just off floor
    - Raise your legs so thighs are perpindicular to the floor
    - Lower your legs to start position
    - 2 seconds down, pause 1 second, 2 seconds up

Plank:
    - Lie face down
    - Lift yourself up on elbows and toes, keeping body straight
    - Hold until you don't feel like dealing with the pain anymore : )

Side Plank:
    - Lie on your side
    - Lift yourself up on your lower elbow and foot
    - Raise arm on high side to be parallel with other upper arm
    - Hold this position
    - Top leg may be raised also

Had a rough night last night involving chocolate pudding, a custard-filled donut and cheese puffs. Fasting today. Currently taking a one-week break on my LHT.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I ran in to the Convict Conditioning program, and read the book. Started the New Blood schedule this week.... have to fight my impatience... since I was doing what he calls half push ups, I want to jump in right there, but I have decided to follow his program as described, despite my desire to jump in with both feet to the deep end of the pool!

I also read the The Purposeful Primative, also from Dragon Door..... lots of good info about nutrition and mental attitude...

Hey doc,

If you have been working a regular program and are having no issues with soreness anywhere, you can probably skate through the initial steps fairly quickly. If you are very strict with your form and 212 timing, you'll be surprised how much you can get out of even Step 1 moves. I would spend 2 or 3 weeks on the Wall Pushups and move on to Step 2. I did the Incline Pushups on the kitchen counter and got a nice deep press because of the free clearance. I am graduating to girl pushups now, but I will still do incline pushups for warmup.

One tip: the Step 2 horizontal pulls call for a hip-high bar. Do not use a bar this low, use one at sternum level. I am currently on Step 2, and even at that height, I may cut Step 2 a bit short and move on to Step 3. Right now I am doing two sets of Horizontal Pulls and one set of Jackknife Pulls. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference effort-wise, and I want to work primarily on the vertical pullup motion sooner rather than later.

If you don't have the Super FAQ, be sure to check that out, too.
    Also, A Dirty Dozen
    Last edited by Diogenes; 10-25-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add link

Yes, I had been doing a regular work out 3 day cycle of of circuit training followed by joggin/walking and on the following day rest, Rinse and repeat.... This CC schedule seems really "effortless" at this point, and I know that won't last long! I was going to do Wall Push ups for 2 weeks, then progress to Inclines the following week. I find myself having to fight the impulse to do inclines at my desk at work to Grease The Groove because of the impression that I a not working hard enough. I know... that will change and in the future I will be crying gosh not push ups again! lol..

3-month Update

Somehow, I managed to reach 3 milestones on the same day today.

1. I reached the halfway point to my weight loss goal, having lost 35 of a projected 70 pounds.

2. I weighed in at 220 pounds, which classifies me as overweight, no longer obese (I hate that word).

3. I am at the 3-month mark of my bodyweight workout program. When I started, I could only do a few pushups and squats before I had to quit because every muscle, joint and tendon was screaming. Pullups--forget it. I could barely move an inch from the dead hang position. I could do 0.0 pullups.

My current workout is:
    Jackknife Pullups: 5 x 10
    Pushups: 3 x 15
    Side to Side Squats: 3 x 20
    Hanging Leg Raises: 2 x 5

I have been carefully limiting my progress, and I have to say that I feel great. The only discomfort I have is a small amount of rotator pain in my shoulders. It is not enough to interfere with daily activity, or even my workouts, but I am still being careful about agrivating it. Previously, my left shoulder had been quite bothersome; my right shoulder was significantly reduced in function for most of 2012. I have been following the advice in "Shoulder Pain? The Solution and Prevention" by John M Kirsch and I believe it has helped.

It is a challenge fighting the urge to press for faster strength gains, but my plan has been to take it slow and easy at least until the new year. I am not a young man anymore, I have to accept my limitations. But patience comes with age, and I am pleased with where I am right now. Three months ago it was difficult just getting up off the floor. Everything ached, no strength, no flexibility... Now I jump up like a cat. Well, comparatively. I'm hoping that by spring, I won't be embarrassed to take my shirt off.
    Last edited by Diogenes; 11-25-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: speling

Congrats on the landmark achievements! Keep at it. You have a plan, work the plan and you will get there.

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like awesome progress! Nicely done and keep on keeping on!
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast