Thread: Squat form check please page

zilog is offline Senior Member

Squat form check please

Shop Now
    I started SS about 4 months ago and though I've now changed to a LeanGains style RPT program I'm still using Rip's book/DVDs as the basis for form, etc.

I video all my lifts so I can check my form and am happy with all my lifts except the squat. My form has definitely suffered as I increased the weight so for the last couple of weeks I've been deloading and concentrating on doing the movement correctly. The main problem I think was that I was moving my knees too far forward. Anyway I think I managed to sort it today - I did lots of reps at low weights until I was happy with the form, then slowly increased the weight up to about 80% of my previous maximum. The video below is my last set of 3 which was the heaviest weight of the session. Yes, I know the third rep does not have much depth - my legs were really tired at this point! It is mainly the knees I am concerned about, but I'd like to hear any other tips anyone has too.

Thanks in advance.

Squat 5/10/12 - YouTube

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Looks good. 2 things: (and I'm not saying you're doing them wrong, it's just very important and goed wrong easily) try to keep your chest forward as much as possible all the time and keep your core tight
    Billie trips balls

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    keep your chest forward and your head up. and sit down into the squat.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    this may be the same thing in different words but I think you should keep your chest up not forward. If your chest is dropping your back is not strong enough for that weight. Is that what you guys mean?

Thanks for the replies so far

keep your chest forward and your head up.
    Rip says to look downwards... do you mean I should be doing that by leaning my chest forwards and keeping my neck straight rather than by bending my neck?

and sit down into the squat.
    could you elaborate on what changes I might make to achieve this, based on the video?

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far

Rip says to look downwards... do you mean I should be doing that by leaning my chest forwards and keeping my neck straight rather than by bending my neck?

could you elaborate on what changes I might make to achieve this, based on the video?
    thats what i do. chest forward and neck straight. i pick out a spot on the floor or wall in front of me and focus on that

here's a quick clip from exrx.net Barbell Squat (power lift)

this youtube clip is good too How To Squat - Form Tutorial - YouTube

Koobs is offline Member
    It looks like you just have the bar a little too high. If you are following Rip he advocates the low bar position. And like you said he does say to look down.

The form that everyone else in here is talking about with the chest high and looking up is high bar form. The reason they are telling you this is because the bar is in the high bar position on your back.

The part about the knees coming forward... I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your knees were not going too far forward. The placement of the bar affects that. If the bar is high the knees must come forward more because the hips dont go back as far. The biggest part to worry about with the knees is making sure they don't come inward. Always push them out. Can't really see that from this angle though.

The only thing I see wrong here is the bar is too high and its pushing you forward a little bit on your descent. This will hurt your back. Try getting it lower and I bet everything will feel a lot better and you will be able to lift the heavier weight with good form.

The only thing I see wrong here is the bar is too high and its pushing you forward a little bit on your descent. This will hurt your back. Try getting it lower and I bet everything will feel a lot better and you will be able to lift the heavier weight with good form.
    thanks, I'll try that next time

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    sit back more, use your hips, you break at the knees before your hips, hips should break first.