Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: October's Targeted FAT-BUSTING tips: (leave your tips here) page

  1. #1
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795

    October's Targeted FAT-BUSTING tips: (leave your tips here)

    Shop Now
    Well, I'm embarking upon my 4th month of Paleo living and it's been awesome. I am 8 lbs away from reaching my goal weight and I'm hoping that this goal will be realized by Halloween.

    I need your tips on how to FAT BUST the last remaining fat that just wants to hold onto me. I'm 5'11" with a small build (I have small wrists). My goal is to move from 148lbs to 140lbs by Oct 31st.

    The last bit of fat seems to be hanging onto me just around the belly button area, and on my back, just above waist area. It's not a LOT OF FAT, but it's stubborn fat.

    To date, I do not eat fruit, sugar, wheat or any processed foods. My ratios are 70/20/10 (F/P/C).

    The only items left to eliminate is dairy and red wine. Are these the culprits?

    I don't lift heavy due to a herniated disc, but I walk daily and do body weight exercises at home.

    I would appreciate any TIPS on how to bust through this last layer of fat. I'm looking forward to slipping into my new binkinis for my winter holiday but not until this last layer of fat is gone.

    THOUGHTS anyone? Thanks for your help!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

  2. #2
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    Which dairy you eat? I haven't noticed much impact myself, but fresh dairy, aka yogurt, kefir and quark was quoted to me as problematic. I eliminated them, but I kept hard cheese and butter/cream. I don't drink, and never did, so I can't give any tips there.

    The biggest success I had stripping fat was on huge carb refeeds alternating with very low carb and calories days. It did not stick, but the weight loss was nothing short of miraculous. But it is a hard diet and exercise regimen to follow. It's called Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonalds. I think what I did wrong was not eating low carb/high fat right after the diet, instead trying to go to Lean Gains.

    Atm, I am doing Savory Primal with similar ratios to yours, with no sweet flavors of any kind, including tubers.

    My goal is 120 lbs by Oct 31st (from ~ 122 lbs right now). If I don't hit that, I will (sigh) go on the UD2.0 again. I really hate these stubborn fat!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  3. #3
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Which dairy you eat? I haven't noticed much impact myself, but fresh dairy, aka yogurt, kefir and quark was quoted to me as problematic. I eliminated them, but I kept hard cheese and butter/cream. I don't drink, and never did, so I can't give any tips there.

    The biggest success I had stripping fat was on huge carb refeeds alternating with very low carb and calories days. It did not stick, but the weight loss was nothing short of miraculous. But it is a hard diet and exercise regimen to follow. It's called Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonalds. I think what I did wrong was not eating low carb/high fat right after the diet, instead trying to go to Lean Gains.

    Atm, I am doing Savory Primal with similar ratios to yours, with no sweet flavors of any kind, including tubers.

    My goal is 120 lbs by Oct 31st (from ~ 122 lbs right now). If I don't hit that, I will (sigh) go on the UD2.0 again. I really hate these stubborn fat!
    All right, thanks for some good tips here. The only dairy that I'm eating are:
    - 35% cream in my coffee
    - 18% cream in my coffee
    - butter (Kerrygold).

    I gave up high fat greek yogourt last month. I consume a lot of coconut milk/oil (this is the easiest way for me to increase my fat ratio daily, while keeping the carbs <50.

    I've never done refeeds. My calories are always between 1000 - 1300 daily.

    Appreciate your suggestions. /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

  4. #4
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    I would try a careful carb refeed. Don't get scared because your weight will jump up a huge deal the very next day (expect 4-6 lbs jump). Then see how the weight drops after. If you achieve a good drop of weight over a week (1-2 lbs), you can repeat the process. Your refeed will be plain boiled potato with some vinegar or herbs, no fat and minimal protein (<30 g) for about 2500-3000 calories for one day (that's about 5-6 lbs of potato, so get a big bag) - I emphasize, you NEED that much for it to be effective. Don't use sweet potato. You want pure starch. Chickening out will be pointless, you have to have huge surplus. It will be hard to eat it all but it may be worth it. Then go to your normal eating pattern for the rest of the week. You might get sleepy and struggle with the caloric count the next day & have dire mood swing.
    Last edited by Leida; 10-05-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  5. #5
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I would try a careful carb refeed. Don't get scared because your weight will jump up a huge deal the very next day (expect 4-6 lbs jump). Then see how the weight drops after. If you achieve a good drop of weight over a week (1-2 lbs), you can repeat the process. Your refeed will be plain boiled potato with some vinegar or herbs, no fat and minimal protein (<30 g) for about 2500-3000 calories for one day (that's about 5-6 lbs of potato, so get a big bag) - I emphasize, you NEED that much for it to be effective. Don't use sweet potato. You want pure starch. Chickening out will be pointless, you have to have huge surplus. It will be hard to eat it all but it may be worth it. Then go to your normal eating pattern for the rest of the week. You might get sleepy and struggle with the caloric count the next day & have dire mood swing.
    Holy potatoes! Is this for real? What type of potatoes should I buy? Yellow? White? Yukon Red? Do I eat the potatoes all in one sitting or spread them out throughout two meals in one day? I generally eat two meals a day. How does eating all those potatoes eliminate stubborn fat? I'm trying to understand the mechanics behind this.

    Thanks for your help.
    /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

  6. #6
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,855
    Stand up more. Just by standing, rather than sitting, you burn more calories per hour simply because your body has to keep adjusting for balance.

    That and you probably just naturally move more when you stand in general.

    Standing desk ahoy!

    [/WaysToBurnCaloriesYouDon'tEvenHaveToThinkAbout]

  7. #7
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    You will have to spread the potatoes out throughout the day to get the quantity. 6 or so meals, of 2-3 potatoes each. It is for real, and it does work. It works on the fast-feast principle of depleting and reloading your muscle with glycogen, basically mimicking the impact of anabolic drugs and re-setting your hormones (you are running in continuous deficit so your body hoards; over-eating resets the ghrelin in addition to glycogen repletion). I assume you lift or do some sort of muscular strength exercise. You want to lift very heavy the next day after potatoes, and do the light and many sets during the depletion phase. If you want the whole science apparatus behind it, I can send you a pdf. PM me and stuff

    If the huge load like that is scary, there is post on the Odds and Ends from someone who had a success with a long refeed on boiled potatoes for about 1000-1200 cals a day of just spuds. Look for a thread about losing lat 3-5 lbs, it's about 3 pages into there.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  8. #8
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    ...there is post on the Odds and Ends from someone who had a success with a long refeed on boiled potatoes for about 1000-1200 cals a day of just spuds. Look for a thread about losing lat 3-5 lbs, it's about 3 pages into there.
    That was me! I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat and it will fly off.

    This will work best with potatoes, but rice also works. The success of this trick lies in the amino acid content of the lowly potato. A potato has exactly the same essential amino acids as the best grass-fed prime rib or salmon steak. Rice is missing a few amino acids, but not by much. Potatoes and rice, in the absence of added dietary fat and protein, are extremely thermogenic. This means when you eat it, your body will increase it's metabolic rate, and temperature, to burn it off. Starch, in the absence or fat and protein is also extremely satiating, meaning you won't get hungry. Add butter and you'll be hungry really fast (think chinese food--oily rice).

    Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes (or rice). The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.

    Eat according to your hunger and not for a caloric goal. Typically you will feel full on about half your normal daily calories. If you weigh out 25lbs of potatoes, it will take you about 10 days to eat them. That will be approx 12,000 calories total. It will also be about 272g of fat, 187g of protein, and 2200g of carbs.

    Here's how to eat plain potatoes:
    -- Shred two potatoes with a kitchen grater, rinse under hot water, fry in a non-stick pan until brown and crispy, drench with vinegar and salt (my favorite!)

    -- Wrap in tinfoil and bake at 375 degrees for about 90 minutes, unwrap last 20 min for crispier skin. Make a whole bunch for lunches. Eat with just salt or vinegar or whatever spices.

    -- Boil the potatoes for about 25min, mash or chop or let cool and eat whole. Probably my least favorite, but easy.

    -- Chop boiled potatoes into 1/4" cubes and dry fry in non-stick pan until browned--eat with a little ketchup...mmmm mmmm

    -- Slice raw potato paper thin. My grater has one side for shredding, one side for slicing. Fry in non-stick pan. Very good.

    Anyway, once you get past the first couple days you will start looking forward to your next meal especially if you get creative in cooking them. They are very tasty and you will be getting pretty good nutrition throughout. If you take any vitamins, continue. Drink all the water and coffee you want. Just don't eat ANYTHING else.

    You won't see a jump in weight on day 1, you will see a drop in weight. What's going on is you are eating at a huge deficit, but feeling satisfied and your body is happy because it's getting fat and protein, but since your metabolism is ramping up, it needs fuel. It will get this from your muffin-top!

    Please don't flame me or try to tell us this won't work. Instead try it. If it doesn't start working by Day 2, quit--then come here and say it didn't work.

  9. #9
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    Mine is getting enough sleep. I feel like crap if I don't. My skin looks dull. I'm extra hungry than usual and I'm too tired to workout.

  10. #10
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That was me! I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat and it will fly off.

    OMG, how could you be holding out this information!!!!

    I have been racking my brain, trying to figure out what I needed to do. I finally came to the conclusion via Perfect Health Diet, that I need to cut my fat. Back to where I was pre-primal and losing 10lbs per month. And the Perfect Health Dude said cut my fat and eat potatoes. (and he is normally a high fat dude but not when you are trying to lose fat) So.... I ate potatoes the past two days, and I have already lost 2lbs, exactly 2 pounds.

    And way back when, between child number 3 & 4, I ate mostly potatoes - mostly baked & quartered w/bbq sauce or sometimes smashed with a can of tuna - every single day, and lost 50lbs. I have been thinking about this ever since my weight loss slowed down. I was still losing, but just nothing like before. But I have been afraid to eat them since trying to keep carbs so low.

    I can't tell you the relief I have felt the past few days. I have cut my fat in half, and my carbs have double to tripled, but still in the 100-150 range. I thought I might even play with the zig-zag of my calories, as I tend to keep them too low I think, like 1200 or less. So today, I am coming in around 1600, yesterday was 1300. But I feel such a weight lifted off my shoulders, and now I think it might lift off my ass & tummy as well!!

    I almost didnt read this thread because I read this and that, and want to try this and that, and I told myself, Self you need to give this other a chance.

    Potatoes. I would like to flame you, but only for holding out!!!!!!
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-05-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •