Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: October's Targeted FAT-BUSTING tips: (leave your tips here) page 5

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OP- away from this whole potato idea, I think your 'culprit' may be time. You have only been doing this 4 months, and you have very little left to lose. Your body may just need time to readjust. Are you desperate to get down to 140 NOW? Or just to get there? Or just to lose the fat around your middle, regardless of your weight? I would try to hold steady for a few months, taking measurements, to see if your body redistributes that fat. That may be all it takes.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I have 8 potatoes wrapped in tinfoil and oven is warming up!
    OMG, Great Minds!! So do I! Well it is a cookie sheet full of smaller size, so more than 8, but I thought it would be great to take the chill off the house too!

Then I can just eat them, or fry them up or whatever later and they won't take as long to cook

I can't wait to go back to my Dutch store. I can buy 50# for like $12! Last time I did that, I then started my low carb journey and ended up throwing them all away!

I am stoked! Can you tell?!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Here's a description of how we digest starch, sugar, and fat. Eating only potatoes will supply you with glucose, the most easily digested of the sugars.

Digestion of Simple Carbohydrates
    Cells in the digestive tract are only able to absorb monosaccharides into the bloodstream. Therefore, additional enzymes in the small intestine break down maltose and other disaccharides into their component monosaccharides. These sugars --- glucose, fructose and galactose --- then enter the blood. However, because glucose is the preferred source of energy for many cells, fructose and galactose must be converted into glucose by the liver. Fructose, and to a lesser extent glucose, exist in their monosaccharide forms in some foods and beverages; in these instances, they require no digestion at all.

Digestion of Lipids
    Whereas dietary carbohydrates come in many forms, the vast majority of the in foods is in the form of triglycerides. A triglyceride is a molecule that contains three fatty acids. Unlike carbohydrates, fats are not water soluble. To break up fat into small enough droplets, the digestive system needs bile from the liver. Bile acts like a soap that enables the mixing of water-soluble digestive enzymes and the fat droplets. This mixing enables enzymes from the pancreas to break down triglycerides into fatty acids, which can then enter intestinal cells, where they are repackaged for transport to the blood via the lymphatic system.

Read more: Difference Between Carbohydrate & Lipid Digestion | LIVESTRONG.COM

msfish is offline Junior Member
    Will there be the issues of carb hangover after the 10 or so days? Does your body want to store fat after the potatoe days when you add the fat and protein back in?

froggie is offline Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I may try the potato trick if my partner ever goes out of town again. Otherwise, I don't see how I could do this and endure all the commentary.
    You crack me up sb, pretty sure our husbands could be brothers

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    70/20/10? Reduce fat intake significantly. You can't burn stored fat until you burn through dietary fat, so the more dietary fat you consume the more you will burn and the less you will store. Purchase leaner meats, use less oil, and most importantly, don't replace it with other stuff.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    70/20/10? Reduce fat intake significantly. You can't burn stored fat until you burn through dietary fat, so the more dietary fat you consume the more you will burn and the less you will store. Purchase leaner meats, use less oil, and most importantly, don't replace it with other stuff.
    This has def. been my n=1. Ketosis is not the way for me to go. And more fat is not the way for me to go, not at this point anyways. I think the only reason I lost any weight at higher fat, was because I was full much faster, so overall not consuming very many calories so my deficit was always there. But the higher the fat %, the less weight I was losing.

So, it is kind of a trade off. With more fat, I was full on less, but not losing as much. Now with less fat, I need to eat more often it seems though yesterday it was just 3 times, but if I make it less fat, then I am losing weight again. I was trying to not make this a "diet" but rather a lifestyle change, and it was nice to not eat as often or as much and it was nice to eat things that I never thought I could - like butter and cream etc, but for right now, I just want to get the weight off, and then I can go back the other direction and find my macros for maintenance.

I do remember when I made the switch to primal, it was a relief, as before that I was eating every few hours it seemed, and it was just wearing me down thinking about it. I was constantly trying to figure out what to eat next and how to make it work in my macros and calories. I was hungry all the time, and going to bed hungry, waking up hungry. So the higher fat and primal was a nice switch for a change. The difference now in taking the fat back out, is that I have a good grip on my hunger. I know more what I can and can't eat, and maybe that is why eating potatoes is working well for me. Since I just started making this transition back, it is easy to just eat taters and not think about it. Anyhow, I dont feel the same this time as I did before I went primal. I've got a good grip on what I need to do and I have no cravings or desires for bad stuff. Before, I wouldnt leave the house without packing snacks, like I was going to be gone for a week. Now, missing a meal or two is no big deal so this second half of my journey, I am hoping should be a breeze I wish I had figured it out months ago, but I might not have been in "this place" months ago. So anyways, I am here now
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-08-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

emmie is online now Senior Member
    Eating potatoes would not work for someone like me. I happen to be extremely sensitive to carbs and do best without any sugar, grains, or starch.

I lose by eating Primal but with lower fat than most--and watching my calories.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    this thread hints at one larger truth... caloric deficit... whether you do it with a ketogenic diet, a pure starch diet, you just can't escape the ultimate reality on this one. people shout, pout and do the craziest shit. but a mild caloric deficit, built around healthy foods, is what works.

also, don't eat raw potatoes - antinutrients abound. cook 'em.
    Last edited by jakey; 10-08-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Actually that sort of ratio works for me. I was averaging 1.25 pound per week loss until I upped the fat and reduced both carbs and protein slightly. Now I am able to lose 2 pounds per week, at least for the time being. Perhaps you have to tweak your diet at different points in your weight loss program.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast