Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October's Targeted FAT-BUSTING tips: (leave your tips here) page 3

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Oh geesh, always someone worried about sparing lean muscle :P (just kidding) Maybe take some BCAA also? Oh wait, he said something about this works in the ABSENCE of protein?
    Hey gopintos! Sorry to hold out on this, but I wanted to try it again to make some notes on what was happening. I have a few friends from morbidly obese to 'can only pinch an inch' and this works on everybody who can do it. Not everybody can eat potatoes for 10 days, it takes some desire.

If somebody wants to do it and take BCAA, that's cool, I don't think it would make any difference. Just don't eat any other food or fat. This works in exactly the same way ketogenic diets work. Your body can only use two things for fuel: Fat and Carbs. In ketogenic diets, you are completely carb-starved, so you burn body fat. In the potato diet, you are completely fat-starved, so you burn body fat. Your body doesn't burn protein for energy per se, it uses the amino acids contained in the protein as building blocks for life-processes and rebuilding muscle etc... Potatoes and rice have all the amino acids you need for life.

the reason this works better than normal calorie restriction with a diet of protein-fat-carbs is that your body will process the simple starch first, then look for other fuel and find only body fat. The simple starch is processed very fast in the gut and not the liver like sugar, protein and some fats. If you have blood sugar issues, this will actually help you. If anyone has a blood glucose meter, do some testing while eating potatoes, my FBG dropped from 100 to 90 and stayed there. After several months of paleo, it crept back up to 103 it is now 90.

Another reason this works, is that the micro flora in your gut responds very well to simple starch. It responds very well to the easily digested potato and it's signaling is vastly improved. I start getting gassy about day 3 and it goes away by about day 6. If you peel the potatoes this won't happen as badly, this happens because there are undigestable enzymes in the peelings that are dealt with in the large intestine in a gas-producing way.

I would say the only people that may not want to do this are people who are working out super-hard, heavy lifters, or distance runners who are in the active muscle recovery/building phase. these people probably need more protein than this supplies.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I may try the potato trick if my partner ever goes out of town again. Otherwise, I don't see how I could do this and endure all the commentary.
    Ear plugs. Discreet and effective. Just smile and nod a lot.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    otzi, are you a man or a woman ?
    Your strategy seems interesting, however, I'd be worried about protein requirements too.
    47 year old guy. Protein is very low on this diet, but not absent. It's a hack for fat-loss, nothing else. No health benefits to doing this, just fat-loss. Compare this to SAD that people do for years and it's not bad nutrient for nutrient. Plug 1 pound of potato in a nutrient calculator, you'll be surprised how nutritious they are. Rice, too.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Doesnt matter, I am in LOVE and think I want to marry him (umm or her but since she is into bikinis, probably a him... could be a her!! Doesnt matter, I wuv him!
    If you still have some fat to lose, wait til you try this while doing the CT thing. It is complimentary since both ramp metabolism.

I have eaten potatoes my whole life, but I don't think I ever ate one without added fat (butter, sour cream, cheese, cooking oil). You will be amazed how good they are plain.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I may try the potato trick if my partner ever goes out of town again. Otherwise, I don't see how I could do this and endure all the commentary.
    I was thinking the same thing.. I catch enough hell now about why I won't eat bread.

otzi Guest
    Since I do most of the cooking, my wife didn't even know I was doing it. I made huge heaps of potatoes and other stuff--she ate the other stuff I just ate potatoes, she didn't even realize it. Ha.
    Last edited by otzi; 10-05-2012 at 03:48 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you still have some fat to lose, wait til you try this while doing the CT thing. It is complimentary since both ramp metabolism.

I have eaten potatoes my whole life, but I don't think I ever ate one without added fat (butter, sour cream, cheese, cooking oil). You will be amazed how good they are plain.
    Oh I know, sometimes when I wouldnt know what to eat, I would just go eat a baked tator! That was last time I lost weight, couple decades ago. Havent hardly touched them this time, until two days ago

This is exciting.

And my icepack, I am sleeping with it every night, but I think I have sprung a small leak :/
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That was me! I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat and it will fly off.

This will work best with potatoes, but rice also works. The success of this trick lies in the amino acid content of the lowly potato. A potato has exactly the same essential amino acids as the best grass-fed prime rib or salmon steak. Rice is missing a few amino acids, but not by much. Potatoes and rice, in the absence of added dietary fat and protein, are extremely thermogenic. This means when you eat it, your body will increase it's metabolic rate, and temperature, to burn it off. Starch, in the absence or fat and protein is also extremely satiating, meaning you won't get hungry. Add butter and you'll be hungry really fast (think chinese food--oily rice).

Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes (or rice). The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.

Eat according to your hunger and not for a caloric goal. Typically you will feel full on about half your normal daily calories. If you weigh out 25lbs of potatoes, it will take you about 10 days to eat them. That will be approx 12,000 calories total. It will also be about 272g of fat, 187g of protein, and 2200g of carbs.

Here's how to eat plain potatoes:
    -- Shred two potatoes with a kitchen grater, rinse under hot water, fry in a non-stick pan until brown and crispy, drench with vinegar and salt (my favorite!)

-- Wrap in tinfoil and bake at 375 degrees for about 90 minutes, unwrap last 20 min for crispier skin. Make a whole bunch for lunches. Eat with just salt or vinegar or whatever spices.

-- Boil the potatoes for about 25min, mash or chop or let cool and eat whole. Probably my least favorite, but easy.

-- Chop boiled potatoes into 1/4" cubes and dry fry in non-stick pan until browned--eat with a little ketchup...mmmm mmmm

-- Slice raw potato paper thin. My grater has one side for shredding, one side for slicing. Fry in non-stick pan. Very good.

Anyway, once you get past the first couple days you will start looking forward to your next meal especially if you get creative in cooking them. They are very tasty and you will be getting pretty good nutrition throughout. If you take any vitamins, continue. Drink all the water and coffee you want. Just don't eat ANYTHING else.

You won't see a jump in weight on day 1, you will see a drop in weight. What's going on is you are eating at a huge deficit, but feeling satisfied and your body is happy because it's getting fat and protein, but since your metabolism is ramping up, it needs fuel. It will get this from your muffin-top!

Please don't flame me or try to tell us this won't work. Instead try it. If it doesn't start working by Day 2, quit--then come here and say it didn't work.
    Would eating raw potatoes give the same results? I love raw potato slices with salt and pepper.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Do you have to do it for 10 days? Can you just do it for two or three?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Do you have to do it for 10 days? Can you just do it for two or three?
    Earlier I saw some info on a tator fast, for 4 days. I am thinking that any number of days that you could stand it
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast