Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: October's Targeted FAT-BUSTING tips: (leave your tips here) page 2

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That was me! I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat and it will fly off.

This will work best with potatoes, but rice also works. The success of this trick lies in the amino acid content of the lowly potato. A potato has exactly the same essential amino acids as the best grass-fed prime rib or salmon steak. Rice is missing a few amino acids, but not by much. Potatoes and rice, in the absence of added dietary fat and protein, are extremely thermogenic. This means when you eat it, your body will increase it's metabolic rate, and temperature, to burn it off. Starch, in the absence or fat and protein is also extremely satiating, meaning you won't get hungry. Add butter and you'll be hungry really fast (think chinese food--oily rice).

Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes (or rice). The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.

Eat according to your hunger and not for a caloric goal. Typically you will feel full on about half your normal daily calories. If you weigh out 25lbs of potatoes, it will take you about 10 days to eat them. That will be approx 12,000 calories total. It will also be about 272g of fat, 187g of protein, and 2200g of carbs.

Here's how to eat plain potatoes:
    -- Shred two potatoes with a kitchen grater, rinse under hot water, fry in a non-stick pan until brown and crispy, drench with vinegar and salt (my favorite!)

-- Wrap in tinfoil and bake at 375 degrees for about 90 minutes, unwrap last 20 min for crispier skin. Make a whole bunch for lunches. Eat with just salt or vinegar or whatever spices.

-- Boil the potatoes for about 25min, mash or chop or let cool and eat whole. Probably my least favorite, but easy.

-- Chop boiled potatoes into 1/4" cubes and dry fry in non-stick pan until browned--eat with a little ketchup...mmmm mmmm

-- Slice raw potato paper thin. My grater has one side for shredding, one side for slicing. Fry in non-stick pan. Very good.

Anyway, once you get past the first couple days you will start looking forward to your next meal especially if you get creative in cooking them. They are very tasty and you will be getting pretty good nutrition throughout. If you take any vitamins, continue. Drink all the water and coffee you want. Just don't eat ANYTHING else.

You won't see a jump in weight on day 1, you will see a drop in weight. What's going on is you are eating at a huge deficit, but feeling satisfied and your body is happy because it's getting fat and protein, but since your metabolism is ramping up, it needs fuel. It will get this from your muffin-top!

Please don't flame me or try to tell us this won't work. Instead try it. If it doesn't start working by Day 2, quit--then come here and say it didn't work.
    Otzi: This is brilliant. Couple questions come to mind:

1. Do I continue with my regular daily walking and light body weight lifting?
    2. Do I need to fast or do anything differently leading up to Day 1 of Potato Day?
    3. How many days should I do this for?
    4. Do I just continue with potato eating days until the muffin top disappears?
    5. On the day after my last potato day, do I just continue eating my VLC (I generally stay in ketosis all the time and feel very good.
    6. I've never thought about vinegar on potatoes --- what does that add, just flavour?
    7. What types of potatoes should I use? Yellow? White? Red? Baked potatoes?
    8. Skin on or off potatoes?
    9. Is there any downside to eating potatoes for a week?
    10. What's your address in case this doesn't work --- I'll be mailing my bikinis to you if I grow into a large potato myself.
    11. How often do you 'cycle' through this potato fast? Is this only used to blast through the last stubborn fat?

Thanks a bunch -- I'm away for the weekend until Sunday but will begin this Monday morning. I'll document my daily experience. Thanks so much!
    /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    The potato diet looks good in theory. My only concern would be that if that is your ten day nutrient total, 187g of protein doesn't even come CLOSE to the 1g per pound of lean body mass recommended for muscle maitinance.

Otherwise, I bet you would lose a bit of fat. At least from calorie restriction if nothing else.

gopintos is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    doesn't even come CLOSE to the 1g per pound of lean body mass recommended for muscle maitinance.
    Oh geesh, always someone worried about sparing lean muscle :P (just kidding) Maybe take some BCAA also? Oh wait, he said something about this works in the ABSENCE of protein?
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Oh geesh, always someone worried about sparing lean muscle :P (just kidding) Maybe take some BCAA also? Oh wait, he said something about this works in the ABSENCE of protein?
    He's talking about the fat loss, and I agree that it would probably do that. But there are other things to consider than just pure fat loss when undertaking any sort of diet.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Otzi: This is brilliant. Couple questions come to mind:

1. Do I continue with my regular daily walking and light body weight lifting?
    Yes

2. Do I need to fast or do anything differently leading up to Day 1 of Potato Day?
    Nope

3. How many days should I do this for?
    I can handle 10 easily, 14 is stretching it. Try 10 at first.

4. Do I just continue with potato eating days until the muffin top disappears?
    Not really because you are missing vital nutrients doing this B12, calcium, Vit E for starters--do 10 days then eat lots of good, primal food for a couple weeks. Then do it again.

5. On the day after my last potato day, do I just continue eating my VLC (I generally stay in ketosis all the time and feel very good.
    Go right back to your normal diet.

6. I've never thought about vinegar on potatoes --- what does that add, just flavour?
    Flavor. It may be a regional thing, i love it.

7. What types of potatoes should I use? Yellow? White? Red? Baked potatoes?
    Any kind. The fresher the better. Not sweet potatoes, though!

8. Skin on or off potatoes?
    Doesn't matter, I do both.

9. Is there any downside to eating potatoes for a week?
    Nope. People have eaten only potatoes forever. Think about a paleo famine where all there was were potatoes. They actually have a really good nutrient profile. Mark Sisson even likes potatoes.

10. What's your address in case this doesn't work --- I'll be mailing my bikinis to you if I grow into a large potato myself.
    You'll see at Day 2 what's going to happen...I'll give you my address so you can come over and show off your bikini in person!

11. How often do you 'cycle' through this potato fast? Is this only used to blast through the last stubborn fat?
    I've done it twice. The first time I lost 8lbs in 10 days and it stayed off forever. That was 6 mo ago. I did it again last month for 10 days and lost 8 more pounds. And I didn't have much to lose. I'm 5'11 and weigh 160 now.

Thanks a bunch -- I'm away for the weekend until Sunday but will begin this Monday morning. I'll document my daily experience. Thanks so much!
    Please do!

/louisa
    See if this works, I added in answers to your quote above

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    otzi, are you a man or a woman ?
    Your strategy seems interesting, however, I'd be worried about protein requirements too.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    otzi, are you a man or a woman ?
    Doesnt matter, I am in LOVE and think I want to marry him (umm or her but since she is into bikinis, probably a him... could be a her!! Doesnt matter, I wuv him!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I may try the potato trick if my partner ever goes out of town again. Otherwise, I don't see how I could do this and endure all the commentary.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    See if this works, I added in answers to your quote above
    This is brilliant and I start Sunday at dinner. Hopefully my body will 'know' to drop the muffin 'ridge' (it's not big enough to be a muffin top) and not lose from from the boobs --- otherwise the strapless bikini top will fall onto my thigh and become a garter .....ahahahahahahahahahha Of if you can't laugh at yourself --- what can you laugh at. Thank you so much, everyone, for your input and thoughts. The potato famine begins Sunday pm! I'll start a new document thread Sunday pm.

love to all!

/louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast