Thread: Howzit from Joburg South Africa page

Quentin is offline Junior Member

Howzit from Joburg South Africa

Hi,

Stumbled upon this today and thought I'd take a look. It makes sense to me and I like the fact that it is not prescriptive or evangelical - the fact that you must do a wide range of exercise types, have fun and eat pretty much what and when you want on condition that it - or something similar - would have been available 10k years ago works for me.

What I found interesting is that I had unwittingly done this on my on a few years back and just didn't know that it had a name.

I was very overweight and had just gone through a divorce. To fix this I cut out all "white" (colour not race) food - rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc and did moderate basic exercise at home - long walks, skipping (what you probably call jump rope), push ups and sit ups/crunches.

In three months - without noticing - I dropped 30kg / 66lbs to take me from 130kg / 286 lbs. I was never miserable, hungry or depressed - it just worked. The fact that I partied my brains out and caroused wildly during the process probably helped ...

Eight years later I'm very happily married with two small boys. However, I've picked up 25kg of that lost 30kg and am looking to repeat the exercise. Being being over 40 makes it a bit harder and I was looking for some help to ensure that I will not only see my grandchildren get born but that I will be able to actively play with them.

For me this is not about looking good - it is about staying strong and healthy enough to be an active and involved parent who plays with my kids and, one day, grandkids and, finally, die in my sleep and not the victim of the gross morbidity caused by poor lifestyle choices.

Diets don't work for me and I am very bad at being told what to do so this holistic approach ticks the boxes.

Well done Mark.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    ... To fix this I cut out all "white" (colour not race) food ...
    Don't joke about it.

A "science" website is claiming that celiac disease is a "trendy disease for white people".

Celiac: The Trendy Disease For Rich White People:

Celiac: The Trendy Disease For Rich White People

How brain-dead stupid can you get?

And just after this comes out, too!

Remission without insulin therapy on gluten-fre... [BMJ Case Rep. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The damage that food can do ...

Good luck with your food changes. Nice to see Tim Noakes standing up for sensible diet advice over there.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    For me this is not about looking good - it is about staying strong and healthy enough to be an active and involved parent who plays with my kids and, one day, grandkids and, finally, die in my sleep and not the victim of the gross morbidity caused by poor lifestyle choices.
    The best reason ever!

Welcome to the MDA - here's hoping we all get to know you better and have a good time in the process!

Quentin is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tim - who I have met - has caused a major outcry here and because of his standing in the local exercise and scientific community he is being taken seriously.