Thread: Diabetic Medication and going Primal page

TigerBeard is offline Member

Question Diabetic Medication and going Primal

Primal Fuel
    Hi

(Apologies if this is the wrong subforum. I couldnt see one on "PB and Medication")

Im starting my journey into Primal. Ive always been described as a caveman - the bushy beard sort of helps

8 years ago, at age 37, after years of eating and drinking what I loved - bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits, full sugar Coke - I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

In spite of dietary changes, weight had been pretty constant. (I've been 220lb +/- 7lb for the last 20 years). Even killing most direct sugars made little difference (its the carbs, you numbskull!!).

Anyway, at the beginning of this year, I set myself the goal of getting fit so I could pass the medical to learn to dive, so started swimming regularly. Fitness improved great, and even with careful (not obsessive) watching what I eat, weight only came down a little. I did convert quite a bit of fat into muscle, so some of the lack of weight loss is re-distribution into heavier muscle. My diabetic blood sugar levels are well controlled, and overall health has massively improved this year. Yay!!

After spotting Mark's Daily Apple in an advert on the MaxiMuscle website, I was pretty much convinced that it (and Dr Briffa's book) was the way to go. Made considerable sense.

OK... so after all that personal background/intro, back to my question.

I am on 3 sorts of prescription meds for my diabetes Type 2; pioglitazone, gliclazide, and metformin. Not being a research chemist or biologist, I'm not sure whether any of these meds will conflict with the goal of a low-insulin creating diet.

Do any of those meds stimulate insulin production? I'm pretty sure pioglit doesnt (it seems to be aimed at reducing the liver's insulin resistance.)

Can someone medical on here explain the general function of each med, with respect to PB? ie. are any of them keeping my blood insulin level artificially higher than it should be.

I will not stop taking the meds, unless my blood workup indicates that something is no longer needed, and only on my doc's advise/management. No cold turkey stupidity here!

Any help appreciated.
    TigerBeard

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    I would talk to my Doc as he is more familiar with your situation. My guess is, if he's a good Doc, he will be pretty psyched you are going at it via diet. The gliclazide has a direct effect on insulin release but the other 2 do not so you definitely want to talk to him about it. Pioglitazone increases insulin sensitivity at the cell and metformin blocks the liver from releasing glucose. Having your Dr. involved is absolutely necessary because he will be monitoring you to lower or eventually eliminate the meds. You should not, under any circumstance, do that on your own. Good luck and congrats on making the right choice!

patsyruss is offline Junior Member
    As modern medicine continues to progress, diabetes patients will likely want to learn all they can about the diabetic medication that they have been prescribed.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Metformin reduces glucose production by the liver (mostly a process that occurs at night to keep your blood sugars up as you're fasting through the night).

Gliclazide stimulates beta-cells to release insulin.

Pioglitazone decreases glucose production by the liver and also increases insulin sensitivity, causing muscle and other tissues to take up glucose from the blood more efficiently.

TigerBeard is offline Member
    So does that mean that gliclazide is working counter to a low-carb, low-insulin blood workup, or is it that the beta-cells do a better insulin release job when confronted with carbs?
    Embracing my inner Caveman since Sept 2012
    Start BMI: 31.9 (if include "bigbone" 10% allowance: 28.7)
    Start Waist: 40in

CW [06/Aug/13]: 198lbs. Current Waist: 36in. BF%: 19.6%. Various Calcs
    BMI: 29.2/26.3 BF%: 16.45% Naval Research BF Method