Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I start running? I cannot Run. Or Can I? page 3

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree with everyone saying take it slow. Alternate walking and running and gradually increase the distance. Take at least every second day off. Don't try do it on same day or in same session as your sprints. Take good music!

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    When I am training for a marathon I am averaging around 30 - 40 miles per week. I run 4 times a week, and run a 10 miler every weekend. I have to laugh when I say that statement about 3-5 miles 3 times a week is chronic cardio. I have a friend that runs 50 mpw and has been doing this for years.

MaverickBris is offline Junior Member
    Just to chime in here - I am a massive fan of the Couch 2 5K Running Plan - I have the podcasts - I think they are from Robert Ullrey (I think I found them on iTunes store for free). He has set the whole plan to music and gives you all the changes. Made the program so much easier.

I have done it about many times - I always stop running and get lazy so have to start from Week 1 again, this time I have gone strong - back to Week 4 Run 3 now and getting better every day.

It is a great way to start running - you only have to manage 60second runs in the first week, which for me felt like an hour but it gets better.

As a warning though - if you are dramatically overweight or have any pre-existing injuries please take it easy - also don't feel like you have to sprint each interval.

I also use an app called RunKeeper on the phone to keep track of my mileage and time - I am a nerd so have to track everything and I have to run with more technology that what took man to the moon.

Good luck with your running though. The C2-5K Program is where I would start.

Ross...

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    [

As a warning though - if you are dramatically overweight or have any pre-existing injuries please take it easy - also don't feel like you have to sprint each interval.

Ross...[/QUOTE]

Whoa! No beginner should feel like they need to be "sprinting" as "running/jogging". There are high level athletes out there who are truly distance RUNNERS, speedwise they are actually running and not jogging. Most of us recreational folks are jogging. If you are sprinting you're going too way too fast and of course you can't keep that up for distance. Just go slow, you will get to the point of a good breathing pattern and feel more comfortable. It just takes time. I say this as a 46 year old who has been "running" (ok jogging) since I was 14-15 years old.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Walk a bit each day until you feel like walking at a brisker pace. Walk at a brisker pace each day until you feel like having both feet in the air for a bit, simultaneously. That's running. Repeat as desired.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    + 1 for intervals, and bear in mind that as you get fitter, chronic cardio becomes increasingly challenging to achieve (i.e. heart rate >75% max).
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    + 1 for intervals, and bear in mind that as you get fitter, chronic cardio becomes increasingly challenging to achieve (i.e. heart rate >75% max).
    So true!

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I have been wanting to start running for a long time, and this week I finally had success. One obstacle was my weight. I am still 175 lb at 5'7". Also, 47 years old with a history of joint pain, so I was afraid I was going to hurt myself. But I have been hiking for years and doing a lot of inclines on the treadmill for four months. The first few times I tried jogging on the treadmill, I couldn't go for more than ninety seconds, but after reading the forums here I realized I was going too fast, at 6.5-7 mph. So yesterday, I was bored walking the treadmill and said, heck with it, let's go for 4.5 mph. It so slow it was annoying. I bumped it up to 5 miles an hour and went for five minutes without stopping. It was such a thrill! I never jogged for that long in my life. I awoke today with no joint pain. I jogged 5.5 minutes again today, also with 30 min elliptical and more walking. My goal is 5k without stopping, and maybe a mini-triathlon someday. I will check out the Couch-to-5k link, it sounds perfect for me.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    I have been wanting to start running for a long time, and this week I finally had success. One obstacle was my weight. I am still 175 lb at 5'7". Also, 47 years old with a history of joint pain, so I was afraid I was going to hurt myself. But I have been hiking for years and doing a lot of inclines on the treadmill for four months. The first few times I tried jogging on the treadmill, I couldn't go for more than ninety seconds, but after reading the forums here I realized I was going too fast, at 6.5-7 mph. So yesterday, I was bored walking the treadmill and said, heck with it, let's go for 4.5 mph. It so slow it was annoying. I bumped it up to 5 miles an hour and went for five minutes without stopping. It was such a thrill! I never jogged for that long in my life. I awoke today with no joint pain. I jogged 5.5 minutes again today, also with 30 min elliptical and more walking. My goal is 5k without stopping, and maybe a mini-triathlon someday. I will check out the Couch-to-5k link, it sounds perfect for me.
    Woohoo Jennifla! That's exactly what you do.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    so there ya go, congrats,
    try taking it outside, fresh air, a little trail in the woods or park, fresh air,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast