Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I start running? I cannot Run. Or Can I? page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    au contraire, no it isn't. An example of chronic cardio would be high intesnity running everyday, for an hour or more, such as training for a marathon. Three to 5 miles 3 days a week is not chronic.
    Agreed. Or even medium-intensity (I don't know anyone who can do high intensity for that long) in an anaerobic mode, without sufficient recovery time.

Some people can run pretty fast without transitioning to aerobic- I try to run as fast as I comfortably can while breathing through my nose on long runs. I almost never feel sore afterwards, but I am getting measurably faster.

So:
    running a few miles every day at an slow/aerobic pace: not chronic cardio.
    running a few miles every day at a medium to fast pace: might be chronic cardio, depending on your recovery abilities
    running several miles every day at a slow pace: walking would probably be better (less impact, more fat-burning) but probably okay
    Running sprints every day: no recovery time for the intensity. Same effects as chronic cardio.
    Running sprints a few times a week: dependent on your recovery time. More than twice a week is probably not necessary.
    Running long miles every day at a medium to fast pace: the very definition of chronic cardio
    Running long miles once every 1-2 weeks: not really a problem

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Been running for years and would also suggest a walk/run start. Lots of programs you could use. I think 2 minutes alternating with each is a good way to go... slowly increase the running intervals as you get used to it. Go VERY slowly...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Go even more slowly. I use a heart rate monitor and keep my heart rate below 133 beats per minute. Sometimes I have to walk. Sometimes I have to slow down when walking. I run this way about an hour a day. At this pace it is slow movement, not chronic cardio. If you like endurance exercise you should not fear it just because Mark calls it chronic cardio. He doesn't get everything right. He didn't do it right when he was a runner so now he just writes it off. He has since moderated his opinion but that chronic cardio thing is what stuck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I'm scared of running shoes. THey are so expensive and have to be just right, blablabla, and then we are supposed to wear vibrams now. What do I do there? Shell out a hundred bucks for a shoe I'm not sure I'll use, in case I don't take kindly to running? Start running in my hiking boots or city sneakers? Barefoot is too cold and too injurious.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Run in cheap, thin-soled sneakers. They don't have to be fancy, and you can possibly find something that will work even at a drug store. An old lady hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in Keds so you can certainly run a little here and there in simple sneakers. I run in a pair of thin-soled sandals. It's hot here and too hot to go barefoot so sandals feel good. When it gets cold, I'll add socks. I think the VFF toe shoes are sort of a fad. I do wear them, but not for running. Too sweaty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Comma is offline Senior Member
    So my city sneakers should be fine, right? Doesn't get any more thin-soled than that.....we've got a beach here and it'd be pretty easy to walk/run 30 min back and forth while the kids potter around. Hmmm. This sounds really good....

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    So my city sneakers should be fine, right? Doesn't get any more thin-soled than that.....we've got a beach here and it'd be pretty easy to walk/run 30 min back and forth while the kids potter around. Hmmm. This sounds really good....
    Be careful running in sand. I strained my Achilles running in sand and it took a long time to heal
    Last edited by Lynna; 10-09-2012 at 07:46 AM.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    walk,
    walk down the street, 4 driveways, then come home,
    do same in other direction next day,
    each day go a little further than last time,
    walk around the block,
    next day go other directiion,
    now do it faster, still walking,
    bored yet ?
    I got bored with it,
    run a little, no specail shoes, what ever you were walking in,
    but don't run too much, 30 seconds tops, then walk 30 - 60,
    repeat,
    when you get into it you may want the running shoe,
    careful running down hill, stress fractures,
    i went from 265 to 210, 4 driveways to 4+ miles, sprints, fun runs, woods runs,
    walk
    and read Lynna's Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    I started couch to 5k 3 weeks ago, well the app on my phone via itunes is called 5k runner. It's great if you haven't run for a long time. It starts off with 1 minute walking, 1 minute running and increases from there. When i started i was out of breath and had a stitch after the first minute but i can feel myself getting better and quicker. I'm determined to get to the end of the 8 weeks!!!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree Galloway's Book of Running is a great resource. When I retired from the Navy, I quit running and didn't start again until 13 years later (oh about 3 months ago). I started by walking 30 minutes a couple of days a week, after a couple of weeks I added 10 minutes every week until I got to a 60 minute walk. Then I added intervals to the walk. I lengthened the intervals until I was jogging for 2 minutes during the walk. Then I transisitoned to a slow jog for 30 minutes. Today I finished a 5 mile course. If you want to jog, start slow and work your way up.... You just have to get off of it and get on with it.... Good luck to ya! I'm sure you will be running in no time!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast