Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here - longish post with questions page

tokyorose is offline Junior Member

New here - longish post with questions

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys,

Sorry in advance for the long post!

I am very new to the Primal Blueprint and primal eating in general. I practice several martial arts and train approximately 5 to 6 days a week when I'm not injured - currently I am injured.

Over the last few years I have eaten 'clean' and bulked up but then laziness, injuries and life in general have got in the way at different points and things have started to slide. I haven't been able to train properly for the last 7 months or so and as a result I've piled on the weight.

I am 36 years old (male) 5 ft 10 inches and I currently weight 92kg (203lbs)

I compete in BJJ and fight in the under 88kg category, ideally I would like to weight 85kg so that I don't have to cut weight before each tournament. My longer term goals would be to get down to about 80 - 82KG and give myself a chance to fight in the lower weight bracket.

I am just now returning to light training and I have a competition in January that I am aiming to compete in. I'd like to have lost most of the weight by then if possible, but if I realise this may not be the case and I may have to roll with the big boys while I continue to lose weight!

So after reading everything I could on this site I decided to try the Primal approach as it is quite similar to the eating patterns I have followed to cut weight in the past (albeit with a lot more fat). I have worked out some macros etc on fitday with a view to consuming between 2000 and 2300 calories per day, however I am not sure if I am getting everything I should be getting to eat 'proper primal'. I tried to stick to 100g of carbs (a little more as my training intensity will be ramping up) 50% of cals from fat and the rest protein but I just don't seem to be eating enough vegetables and etc.

I supplement with a multi vit and omega 3 capsules.

I was wondering if anyone could cast an eye over this and give me more informed view. Are my macros correct, ma I getting what I should be - should I forget about macros or calories and simplify? Any other idea/corrections/observations?

I apologise if this is the wrong place and, again, for the length of this post. Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Here is what I have come up with:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tokyorose; 10-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum!

Your attached pictures will probably take a day or so to get approved. If you want faster feedback, use imageshack, photobucket, or something like that and then post those pictures. From your description it sounds like you're doing pretty good though.

Hi Yodiewan,

thanks for the welcome and the advice! I have attached images from photobucket.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyorose View Post
    I have worked out some macros etc on fitday with a view to consuming between 2000 and 2300 calories per day
    I'm 5'11" and had to drop to 1800ish calories a day to lose about 1lb per week. Mind you, I haven't been strictly primal (apart from grains) so weight loss has not been as quick as others have experienced.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Hemming is offline Junior Member
    Which program are you using calculate all those figures?

Nigel,

So you think it would be best to reduce my overall calorie intake to 1800?

Hemming,

The macros etc are from Fitday, the calorie intake is from freedieting it claims that 2000 to 2300 calories per day will see steady weight loss.

I should say that in May I cut 6kg in 3 weeks for a tournament by cutting all carbs and eating greens with a single chicken breast per day - although that was a little too fast and I didn't feel particularly strong or full of energy, something I want to try and avoid this time around!

Thanks again

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    What strikes me about your list of foods is that several entries aren't really food. If you're really wanting to be fully primal, skip the "scoop of" stuff, as this is not natural. Instead, replace with actual food to get more vitamins and minerals into your diet.

Hi Teach,

Yes, ideally I would do away with the protein powder and veggy powder and replace these with proper food but I have kept these for now as they form my breakfast and pre and post workout meals - I have trouble eating in the mornings and I've found that a shake with flax oil goes down much easier. For the pre and post workout it's just more convenient than taking food with me.

There's also the issue of the sheer cost of good meat and organic food, unfortunately powder works out cheaper than the good stuff...

However I will try to perform the switch and see how I get on (although I may have to stick with a shake for breakfast as I have so much trouble getting food down my neck).

Thanks again for the advice

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Add some eggs for inexpensive great protein, they are real food and boiled eggs are easy to take with you for i.e. lunch

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyorose View Post
    I have trouble eating in the mornings
    Then don't eat. A big thing that Mark advocates is eating WHEN - when hunger ensues naturally. No need to force yourself to eat when not hungry just because it's morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast