Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can you remain upright without sitting? page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

How long can you remain upright without sitting?

Primal Fuel
    I've posted on this topic before, but I'm doing it again because I really think this is something we could all benefit from doing every once in a while.

Mark has posted on more than one occasion about the importance of being upright more often than not, and he's even encouraged those of us that work in offices to get standing desks if at all possible. It increases circulation in the legs, decreases the risk of blood clots, promotes good posture, and even just standing in place burns more calories than sitting.

So, here's a little challenge I propose each of you try sometime:

I want each of you to see how long you can remain fully upright without sitting or laying down.

Just a few simple rules to keep in mind...

1) You must remain fully upright for the time to count. This means you can be running, walking, standing, anything that keeps you fully upright and on your feet. You can stand on one leg, two, or three (if you're that special).
    2) Time begins as soon as you undertake this challenge and get upright. Time ends when you either sit, crouch, or lay down.
    3) I think it's fair to make an exception for bending over to pick something up, as long as you're not off of your feet.

And there you have it. How long can YOU last? I'm deep in the challenge myself right now and curious to see just how long I can last.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I think remaining standing while your body screams at you to lay down is probably just as unhealthy (in a reasonably fit individual). Remember that ancient humans wouldn't force themselves to keep moving if their survival wasn't at stake. And how many situations can you think of that would have you walking nonstop for an entire day?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    God, I do it routinely in surgeries and I hate it so much. It's NOT good for you. Walking - maybe, but definitely not standing. I used to have fainting episodes because my blood pressure would drop so much after standing for hours - this has resolved as my body has adapted to standing for >6 hours. However, my ankles are still really edematous at the end of the day. The back pain is not exactly fun, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I think remaining standing while your body screams at you to lay down is probably just as unhealthy (in a reasonably fit individual). Remember that ancient humans wouldn't force themselves to keep moving if their survival wasn't at stake. And how many situations can you think of that would have you walking nonstop for an entire day?
    Mark is in favor of standing workstations. If you get one, because of the raised table, you likely would not have the option to sit down at work very often. There is some element of forced standing in that right there.

By the way, it's just a challenge. I'm not asking anyone to force themselves to stand up any longer than is comfortable. And besides, the length of time it remains comfortable could be one indicator of overall levels of health.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    God, I do it routinely in surgeries and I hate it so much. It's NOT good for you. Walking - maybe, but definitely not standing. I used to have fainting episodes because my blood pressure would drop so much after standing for hours - this has resolved as my body has adapted to standing for >6 hours. However, my ankles are still really edematous at the end of the day. The back pain is not exactly fun, either.
    Well, I make exceptions for walking and moving around somewhat. I'm not asking anyone to park themselves in one spot and not move for hours on end. Besides, it's just something to try a time or two. You're not likely to be doing this on a daily basis.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I have started hiking at around 8am, eaten lunch on-the-walk, and finished up the hike around 5pm. So, about 9 hours, and because it was walking, no "pain" other than normal muscle tiredness at the end of the day.

I have a Crossfit friend who does ultra marathons, which are often 18+ hours of slow running/fast walking.

I think there's a big difference between keeping moving with nice scenery, and mostly standing in one place or walking around a warehouse.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    I'm a chef and back in my catering days I worked more 12 hour catering events nonstop on my feet than not, it's not that hard IMO

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    I don't do it any more, but routinely would do 8 or 9 hours at a stretch when working in the hotel business. On days it was especially busy, there were times when the only time I sat down was when I went to the ladies room. It got to the point where I would stand up in front of the television at home and eat dinner that way because I was so used to eating my dinner standing up at work in between guests and phone calls.

I sit for a living now (and am older) so not sure I could do it any more.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    If I was standing still, probably not more than 20 mins - I just need to move. However, if I am moving around, I easily can stand/walk/do smth while standing (like cooking) for hours. I have never really tried to do it as a challenge but I have hiked/walked for well over half a day without sitting down or done work in the kitchen (nowhere to sit down) for hours, so I imagine for a challenge I could easily do a whole day. Now where to find that whole day to try that out?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Look up standing sadhus sometime.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast