Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long can you remain upright without sitting? page 2

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    between drum corps (like marching band on steroids), catering, and photography... I've had days where I'm on my feet for 16-20 hours carrying heavy things... but to be fair, I'm sure I sat down for lunch at some point during the day...

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I regularly spend anywhere from 8-14 hours on my feet at work. Occasionally I'll sit down to eat or poo, but not always.
    ďThe whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Blanchy is offline Member
    I work a job that at times requires me to stand in place, or with minimal movement, for basically an entire shift (retail/warehouse work). Working the cash register definitely gets a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day, but other than that I've never had any problems with it.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I stand all day, almost every day, at my job (at a desk). I do sit to eat lunch.

While it may be better than sitting all day, I still don't think it's good for you, at all. Anything that makes you stiff, grouchy, drained and sore in the feet, legs, back and shoulders is probably not what you should be doing all day.

Walking all the time, on the other hand, makes me feel good. Days when I am away from my desk and walking around the office most of the time are much better.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Standing desks are a bourgeois thing.

I was an art model for a while. I have to tell you there is no single position you can maintain for three hours that doesn't hurt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Standing desks are a bourgeois thing.
    Well I made my own out of a regular cheap office desk and some concrete blocks. Not very bourgeois IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I was an art model for a while. I have to tell you there is no single position you can maintain for three hours that doesn't hurt.
    True dat. I think it's not moving and living indoors that's killing us more than anything. And stress.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I had a gig once as a server for a catering place. OMG I thought I would die, my legs and feet hurt so much after each and every shift. But then I figured out that the cheap-ass shoes I had bought were most of the problem...

The longer I live, the more I agree with Uncephalized - we need more outdoors, more real moving around - and less stress. And more barefoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12