Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help, please, with fiber page

Squirrelly is offline Junior Member

Help, please, with fiber

Shop Now
    Guys, I'm brand new to this forum, and am having a lot of trouble navigating. [Hey, at 67 years old I can claim "old age" as the problem? Maybe? LOL]

I apologize for interrupting this blog, but I can't figure out where to go to ask my question, so I'm putting it here.

As a life-long sufferer of IBS [iritable bowel syndrome] I desperately need to add tons more fiber [soluble and insoluble] to my 80% Primal diet or I'm going to "die" of what I call "cement in the gut." I know Oat Bran is the single best source of fiber, but I'm having trouble finding a really healthy source of Oat Bran without adding so many calories to my diet that it would constitute a 4th meal, which, trust me, I can't accommodate on any level without putting back on the 8 pounds I've lost in the last 2 months.

I found a few supplements in bottles online tonight, but none of them--despite some having very high prices--offer more than 5 or 6 grams of fiber in a single dose. This is totally not acceptable. I'm looking for something that adds 13 or 14 or 15 grams of fiber per dose. Less than that won't make a "dent in my cement."

I eat "tons" of dark green salad greens every day, and cruciferous veggies [I adore broccoli], but it's just not enough to keep the old bowels regular, or even semi-regular.

I'm more at less at my wits end in trying to figure out how solve this constipation problem, and I would be extremely grateful for any help/advice anyone has to offer. Please keep in mind that I'm only moderately active, by necessity; I walk at a regular to brisk pace for close to an hour every day, do my own version of aerobic dancing twice a week [good old Creedence Clearwater Revival's Greatest Hits help with that enormously], and--or BUT! I have to be very careful how and when I dance aerobically because of a chronically weak lower back and bad knees, both of which can act up at the drop of a hat. As we speak, I'm nursing the remains of muscle pulls and spinal snafus that resulted from too much vigorous dancing to "Bad Moon Rising." My brilliant/generous/amazingly affordable chiropractor has set the recovery in motion, but I must be very careful for the next week or two.

In the meantime, and even after I recover, since I can't do sprints--maybe one or two every 3 months or so--and I can't run or jog--none of the physical activity that tends to get the bowels moving--I really, really, really need some help with getting a ton more fiber incorporated into my diet without adding calories or too many unhealthy carbs.

Please, anyone, any suggestions?

Thanks so much for listening--and for any responses.

Squirrelly

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Just eat tons of veggies if you think it's so important. And eat the rinds/peels of your veggies and fruit wherever possible.

You can get up to pretty high levels of fiber just by doing this.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Did you know that insoluble fibre could, possibly, be making your IBS worse?

Healing is what I would focus on. Remove all known irritants (grains, sugars, dairy, harsh fibrous veggies, caffeine), and keep adding in healthy fats (avocado, butter, bacon, bone marrow, coconut oil), and try some bone broth.

Fat is a very healthy way to speed up "transit time"... and be sure to get enough water, both by drinking, and by eating water-rich fruit & veggies (squash, jicama, cucumber...).

You might try only eating cooked cruciferous veggies... and not the stems of broccoli. Saute the dark green leafies.

Mark has a blog post on fiber issues... plus, several people have reported good results by following the information available on "gut sense" dot com (I think that's the web URL).

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Dried fruit and cocoa are my favorite non-veggie sources of fiber....dried cherries and tons of cocoa powder in my Greek yogurt for the last few days - >50 grams fiber/day.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    Did you know that insoluble fibre could, possibly, be making your IBS worse?

Healing is what I would focus on. Remove all known irritants (grains, sugars, dairy, harsh fibrous veggies, caffeine), and keep adding in healthy fats (avocado, butter, bacon, bone marrow, coconut oil), and try some bone broth.

Fat is a very healthy way to speed up "transit time"... and be sure to get enough water, both by drinking, and by eating water-rich fruit & veggies (squash, jicama, cucumber...).

You might try only eating cooked cruciferous veggies... and not the stems of broccoli. Saute the dark green leafies.

Mark has a blog post on fiber issues... plus, several people have reported good results by following the information available on "gut sense" dot com (I think that's the web URL).
    I so agree with this, I have found that fat, fat and more fat works wonders for me. Also veges and water, and I don't "evacuate" every day. But that doesn't matter. You will find what works for you - just don't give up !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    I so agree with this, I have found that fat, fat and more fat works wonders for me. Also veges and water, and I don't "evacuate" every day. But that doesn't matter. You will find what works for you - just don't give up !!!!!!
    Absolutely!!
    And also +1 to the previous comment about fibre being an irritant.
    If you haven't yet, have a look at
    Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Cal. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
    As a life-long sufferer of IBS [iritable bowel syndrome] I desperately need to add tons more fiber [soluble and insoluble] to my 80% Primal diet or I'm going to "die" of what I call "cement in the gut."
    If I were you I'd take a route 180 to the one you're thinking about (as below):

But then of course, I'm not you and YMMV. Here's to your success whichever route you take.

Thank you, Cal, for your response. Although I'm not sure what you mean by "doing a 180." I've watched the video, and I have to say I am thoroughly confused. While I've become convinced of the dangers of wheats and grains--whole or otherwise, it's my own experience that has me scratching my head. Before Primal, I ate a modicum of very high fiber whole grain breads every day to keep my body regular. It worked, more or less. After going Primal, giving up ALL breads, grains, pasta, etc., constipation got so bad I was in tears from the "cement in the gut" feeling I had live with almost 24/7. I eat "tons" of vegetables, stick to berries for fruit, and get a good amount of protein from meats and fish every day. But I had to do something to relieve the constipation misery. And so, I added Konsyl. It's been working--but not without the bloating that the doc in the video talks about. [And since it's working to regulate me, I have to retiterate how confused I am about the doc in the video saying fiber DOESN'T work to relieve constipation.]

Long story short, if I can't safely use the product I've been using to add enough fiber to my diet to keep me regular [Konsyl, which its label claims has nothing in it except psyllium husk, unlike Metamucil--and my taste buds tell me that is absolutely true; no sugars, no aspertame, no nothing to make it taste any better than powdered cardboard in water would taste], what the heck CAN I do to relieve constipation?

There has to be some solution. And what I need is a practical solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for taking the time to give thought to my question.

And, in advance, I want to thank anyone else who has any concrete, specific suggestions. I am one desperate lady.
    Last edited by Squirrelly; 10-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Do you drink enough fluids? Because no matter how much fiber you consume, if you are not properly hydrated, you'll be constipated. Constipation is not really defined by the number of BMs you have daily/weekly, but rather by stool consistency (dry, hard stools that may hurt to pass). Your colon is the major site of water reabsorption. When the digested food reaches your colon, it's fairly liquid, but then your colon reabsorbs all the water your body needs. If you're dehydrated, it'll reabsorb so much as to result in dry, constipated stools.

Hello, RaeVynn. Now this looks promissing. Especially since bacon is one of my favorite foods! The one thing I have a problem with is coconut oil. To my palate: Yuch! Water I drink enough of to float me out to sea. Broccoli--I never eat stems, but I eat tons of florettes. Broccoli is one of my 3 favorite veggies. Broccoli, spinach and asparagas. And I eat a fair amount of cauliflower as well.

I will check all of this out. Including Mark's blog on fiber issues.

P.S.: I love your quote at the end of your post. I am ROFLMAO at it. How true indeed. Which is why I promise to check out all you've suggested.

Thanks so much for your post.
    Last edited by Squirrelly; 10-11-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast