Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help, please, with fiber page 2

redskater is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How is the magnesium in your diet? I take "natural calm" in the eves and it works wonders. I don't know if your body eventually gets used to it or not but I was having leg cramps at night and when I started taking the magnesium it helped with that too.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Does your Chiropractor have any recommendations? I'd go head and get him on board. I know many people around here that have constipation seem to find relief by adding a magnesium supplement and eating more fat (coconut products seem to be especially good for getting things going). Since you have been a long time sufferer you may consider something like GAPS. Home Page It is much like Primal, but a bit more strict in the sense that it is especially for a distressed gut biota.

Squirrelly is offline Junior Member
    Hello, Eye. If I drink any more water than I do every day, I'll float away to Never Never Land. I'm so well hydrated that if you squeeze a chunk of my skin, you're likely to get some water squirting out.

Just kidding, of course. Just saying that hydration doesn't seem to be the problem. This problem is one I've had ever since I can remember--and I'm going back to when I was 4 years old in 1949 when SAD wasn't the problem it is today. And while we're on the very graphic subject, we're talking maybe 2, sometimes 3, BMs a day--but all 3 are dry, hard stools hurt to pass and come out as pellets, much like deer scat. Talk about pain. I'd almost rather have a toothache. LOL

Thanks for your post, Eye. I really appreciate it, and all the other posts as well. One way or another, I will get to the bottom [no pun intended, well maybe yes] of this wretched, painful issue.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yes, drink enough water (don't drown yourself, but when you think you're thirsty, drink a little).

DO NOT try to use fiber as a way to make yourself poop. In the short run, sure, it works. In the long run? Not so much.

Look at it this way - if you were a lumberjack floating logs down the river in a canyon, and then they started to get backed up, would you think the best way to get them moving along would be to start shoving more and more logs down until they finally broke free? Yeah, they'll eventually force their way through and head down the river, but you're going to do a whole lot of damage to the walls of that canyon in the process.

Lower the amount of fiber (trust me) and make sure you're getting enough fat. Also, try taking a magnesium supplement before you go to bed. The vast majority of people are deficient anyway, it helps you sleep better (bonus points!) and you wake up in the morning with a poop ready and waiting.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Thank you, Misabi. I will get to your links as soon as I can. Right now I'm off to watch the Vice Presidential debate. Thank you so very much for posting.

Redskater, not sure how my magnesium is. I'll have to check on that. I don't know how much is in the meats and/or veggies {veggies??} I eat, or in my daily supplement. But I will check it out. Thank you so much for your suggestion.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelly View Post
    Redskater, not sure how my magnesium is. I'll have to check on that. I don't know how much is in the meats and/or veggies {veggies??} I eat, or in my daily supplement. But I will check it out. Thank you so much for your suggestion.
    I guarantee the amount you need is more than in your multi.

I take 800mg every day for migraines, but probably half that (400mg is good for most people).
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Hello Rita. You're the second person to recommend magnesium. And you've explained the "screwy" fiber issue so very well, it finally makes sense to me! No, of course I would not want to add more logs to the already jammed up logs trying to float down the river. Very clear metaphor indeed.

I would have thought I'm getting enough fat, but maybe not! Bacon twice a week--no draining on paper towels--I so adore bacon and the taste of all the fat that goes with it that I could never find the discipline to drain the fat away! I use olive oil all day long--put it on all veggies I eat, including breakfast meats, and cook all meats with it.

I will have investigate how to get more magnesium. Maybe this is the "magic bullet." Thanks so much for your post.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I agree with what everyone says about more fat! I will also say tha whenever I make anything wih coconut flour (pizza crust or cookies) that really gets things moving. And I am no expert on bowels, but anyone that has private dance parties to CCR definitely has a healthy soul <3
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

I promise, NZ, I won't give up. I've been trying to knock off this extra 20 pounds for well over 20 years. Having begun the Primal process on August 4, I'm almost, but not quite, up to 10 pounds gone. Still can't believe those almost 10 pounds are gone with no sense of culinary depravation whatsoever.

Heck, I don't even miss all those huge plates of pasta!!! Amazing in the extreme.

Thanks so much for your post.

Everyone has been so generous--and so gracious. You guys are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast