Quote Originally Posted by PhiPsiJB View Post
I don't see why the book couldn't be applied to any endurance sport...in fact, I would suggest the guidelines proposed in The Paleo Diet for Athletes would work great for any event pushing past the one or two hour mark, which mountaineering surely does. I think it was likely a marketing move, for better or worse, on Cordain's part. After all, his co-author is Joe Friel, a noted triathlon coach.
Probably true, and probably for the better. Mountaineers don't exactly make up a huge percentage of the population, and the paleo diet has gotten a fair amount of shunning from mainstream climbers who are obsessed with cowpie-flavored soy cakes AKA Clif Bars.

And as for the book "being an application of the paleo diet to an overwhelmingly CW approach to athletics", I know what you mean. I read the book three years ago and I still struggle with that concept today, although I won't go entirely into why at the moment. Regardless, the point I keep in mind is one I made in my first post...if you want general fitness you can easily forego a lot, if not ideally all, of the otherwise taboo foods Cordain permits within the guidelines of the book. As I said, I feel by and large endurance athletes (again, those pushing past the two-hour mark) need more carbohydrate. And while I may get some flak for saying so the easiest sources of carbohydrate are clearly those not permitted on a more strict Paleo or Primal nutrition plan.
No argument here about endurance sports needing more carbs. Eating rice or potatoes with dinner the night before a day of climbing works wonders for my energy and stamina. But I don't get the food timing thing. If I'm hungry, I eat, if I'm not, I don't. I tend to trust my body on the mountain, it's usually right