Thread: "Practical Paleo" 30 day Autoimmune Condition Meal Plan page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

"Practical Paleo" 30 day Autoimmune Condition Meal Plan

Shop Now
    Has anyone followed the 30 day meal plan for autoimmune conditions in Practical Paleo? I love this book, wondering what results others may have had with the specialized meal plans. While it is just for 30 days, it calls for me to give up eggs and nuts as they have immunological responses (and other things but those weren't a surprise). Who knew?

It is hard for me to consider this as eggs are the least expensive protein source I have. It would be helpful to hear what experience others may have have. It makes sense that diet would play a role in autoimmune conditions.

I will rephrase my question

I am looking for research that shows that eggs aggravate autoimmune disorders. I've spent some time searching, but can't seem to find anything outside of occasional mentions that they shouldn't be eaten by those with such disorders, but then I read references on other sites that say they are GOOD for those with autoimmune disorders.

I know the authors of "Practical Paleo" are strong paleo advocates and experienced nutritionists, and I don't doubt they are correct, but I would like to educate myself further on the role of eggs and my over-active immune system before I drop my favorite food for 30 days. This will have a significant impact on my budget...

If anyone knows of any good research sources on this please post the link, meanwhile I will continue my search this evening after work.

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Has anyone followed the 30 day meal plan for autoimmune conditions in Practical Paleo? I love this book, wondering what results others may have had with the specialized meal plans. While it is just for 30 days, it calls for me to give up eggs and nuts as they have immunological responses (and other things but those weren't a surprise). Who knew?

It is hard for me to consider this as eggs are the least expensive protein source I have. It would be helpful to hear what experience others may have have. It makes sense that diet would play a role in autoimmune conditions.
    I'm coming up on a month of following the autoimmune meal plan from the book. I don't know the answer to what research shows eggs aggravate autoimmune disease. I've done whole 30's where I've given up dairy or I've given up nuts individually. I've never had a problem with eggs. I just figured that I wanted to know once and for all if there are any synergies between the different foods.

Thus far, I feel pretty good and I've lost six pounds. I did have a couple of autoimmune issues (TMI so I won't go into them) but they were pretty short in duration. I ate some nasty things like canned salmon and rediscovered some old friends, like fried plantains. Actually, plantains were one of the things that made me sick, because I gorged on them. I haven't missed eggs at all because there has been enough variety in the meal plans. I've had a tbsp of coconut manna here and there when I was craving nuts.

I spent a lot of money in the beginning then when I started finding myself with leftovers that the plan didn't account for I started substituting the leftovers for new menu items until they were used up. Or, if a recipe called for beets, I'd buy beets with the greens on them, then use the beet greens later to replace spinach. Or I would forgo the lettuce in a recipe that called for lettuce boats. The meat was definitely the most expensive part. I've done comparison shopping, but could still use hints on how to make this part cheaper.

This is helpful information. While I've had more...aggressive autoimmune problems in the past I always have at least one that is ongoing, though it is much milder than it once was. She suggests that this will also help with arthritis.

I am wondering the same thing you did with the synergies between different foods. I will keep your experiences in mind, I would like to do this 30 day menu to see how things go but my food budget can't go up any higher so I also need hints on how to deal with this. It does say that certain meats can be substituted for others, and it IS just me so I can cut the amounts for meat in half since the shopping list assumes two people. I am unaware of any problems with eggs, but considering how many I consume it is probably worth checking out... I do like that they provide shopping lists for the different menus on the Balanced Bites website, that is very helpful.

I am also single. I ended up cooking the recipes as-is, then following the same menu twice. So although I've been on the plan for 25 days, I am following the menu for day 12. It works for me because I don't like cooking every day.

It lets me save money, because a lot of perishable items like greens for example, come in one size. So if I buy a bunch of asparagus or romaine lettuce, and then I don't use it again, I'll have to throw it out.

Other $ experiences:
    I did manage to substitute the leftover asparagus from the salad for one of the vegetables in the beef stir fry recipe. You only needed like a half cup or less for the salad.

I bought the fresh sage, then got too lazy to make the flavored salt from scratch, and used some dry sage instead.

I bought a whole package of fresh dill for $2.79, but only needed like a tbsp for the recipe. I chopped and froze the rest as an experiment to see if freezing will preserve it.

I bought canned artichokes because I couldn't find fresh or frozen. i had leftovers after using the amounts called for in the salad.

The only place I could find the sunchokes was at a pricey market ($5.99/lb). Now they are showing up cheaper at the Korean grocery store. Not price related, but I find it irresponsible for any recipe writer to have people eat sunchokes without warning them of the...after-effects.

The cheapest I found scallops for in my area was $19.99/lb. They were pretty tasty, but I'm not sure I'd make them again for that price.

Turkey legs were hard to find and pricey. They might be easier to find now that we are headed into Thanksgiving season? Anyway, as someone who has never had turkey legs before, they tasted OK but I was squicked out by the tough, stringy tendons. If I make that recipe again, I would just use cheaper chicken legs.

Some measurements were off: 1 pomegranate = 1/4 cup of seeds. Luckily, I really like pomegranates. There was a similar disconnect with lemons/lemon juice if I recall correctly.

tl;dr - I wouldn't follow the Practical Paleo shopping list blindly. I'd figure out what I like to eat/am willing to do/how much of an appetite I have, and adjust accordingly.

Oh, and the flank (skirt?) steak was inedible. I don't have a grill so I cooked it in the oven. Maybe that is why it was so tough and chewy. I wish I had bought a different cut of meat that I have more experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    Oh, and the flank (skirt?) steak was inedible. I don't have a grill so I cooked it in the oven. Maybe that is why it was so tough and chewy. I wish I had bought a different cut of meat that I have more experience with.
    This is good to know, I will probably replace it with another cut. I don't have much experience cooking beef yet anyway...