Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D supplement page 2

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    That made me giggle because that's exactly what I was doing all summer, in the backyard. Bra and short shorts, often for an hour. Anywho, for the original question, my doctor recommended 2,000 a day. You could raise it higher if you have a deficit, but if you've been going to the beach you probably don't.
    yeah I really did get a lot of sun this summer as in I was 2 shades darker than I normally would be in the winter.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    You really must get your Vit D level checked before 'experimenting' with mega doses of it.

Although, IMO, and in my own experience, toxicity is not easy to achieve as long as you're monitoring your levels with blood testing. I take 10,000 IU sublingually of vit. D per day and my level stays at 80 - 85 ng/mL which is were I want it (cancer survivor). But, I got the level tested every 6 months for 2 yrs just to find out what dose was right for me and my immune system.

Also, if a person lives in northern regions of the world, 2,000IU per day will probably be insufficient, IMO.
    Since I don't know my vitamin d levels then I figured 2000 would be a starting point. I will be going to my dr for a physical check up soon though I don't think vitamin d level checks is not part of the standard routine unless the dr thinks there's something wrong with me.

kelisrad is offline Junior Member
    I was tested and my levels were 28 for D3 so I prescribed 20,000 iu every day for a fortnight and now am on 5000 a day until December when I will get retested. My brother was tested and was 16, so was put on 40,000 a day for a month. I live in the UK and am feeling so much better, my husband and my children now take vitamin D.

DigiSurg is offline Member
    Humans have a Vitamin D savings bank in our body. It is supported by a good protein diet and a leads to a better Vitamin D level. An Epi-paleo Rx is an optimal choice for this bank account. It works by making a protein called Vitamin D binding protein (DBP). It acts like albumin does in the blood. The vitamin D-binding protein (DBP) is a highly specific carrier for vitamin D and all of its metabolites found in the plasma. This allows us to store vast amounts of Vitamin D. Why do we need that from an evolutionary standpoint you ask? Vitamin D synthesis from cholesterol by the sunlight is thus maintained within physiological limits estimated to be 0.01 to 2.5 mg of cholecalciferol per day. 2.5 mg per day translates to 100,000 IU per day from the sun!!!!

Neely is offline Member
    I've been taking general vitamin supplements with 100% RDA of vitamin D. This equals 5.0 IU, when all the other vitamin D supplements are at 2000IU or 5000IU, what's going on? Why 5.0 IU as RDA, surely that is a complete waste of time?

Neely is offline Member
    Any help on what vitamin D supplement I should order, amount wise. I want to order some quickly seeing as it is now permanent darkness here in the UK. Thanks.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking 10,000 at the mo. Seems like a few others are, although I'm unsure whether to drop to maybe 5,000 once I'm done? Most recommendations seem to be 2-5k. I order from Big Vits Neely.

Neely is offline Member
    Thanks, I think I'll go for the 5000 ones then.

I had a look on Big Vits but Amazon was cheaper by a fair bit. Nearly half price. I've gone for these:

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Healthy Origins, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 360 Softgels

360 tablets will keep me going for quite a while too.

Cheers.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I get this one Healthy Origins, Vitamin D3, 5,000 IU, 360 Softgels - iHerb.com

because it's high potency so I don't feel like I have to take it every day. I usually only take it monday-friday with lunch, so I average 25,000IUs/week

kindra is offline Banned
    You have given a very good and a nice information about the benefits of vitamin D supplements. The information which you have given for the benefits of vitamin D supplement are beneficial for me also for others who wants to know this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast