Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Time for an interesting thought experiment... page 2

  1. #11
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    I always go over the RDA for Vitamin C and A. Calcium and Iron I always seem to be under since I don't drink milk. I can reach the RDA if eat about 200 g of liver in a day but it's not something I do on a daily basis.

    Is it a big deal if i don't meat the calcium and iron RDA? thoughts?

  2. #12
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I always go over the RDA for Vitamin C and A. Calcium and Iron I always seem to be under since I don't drink milk. I can reach the RDA if eat about 200 g of liver in a day but it's not something I do on a daily basis.

    Is it a big deal if i don't meat the calcium and iron RDA? thoughts?
    Calcium is probably a bigger concern than iron. But two great sources of calcium for those who don't drink milk are actually very primal. Deep green veggies and shrimp are both great sources of calcium as far as my knowledge on the subject goes.

  3. #13
    RobinNM's Avatar
    RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I always go over the RDA for Vitamin C and A. Calcium and Iron I always seem to be under since I don't drink milk. I can reach the RDA if eat about 200 g of liver in a day but it's not something I do on a daily basis.

    Is it a big deal if i don't meat the calcium and iron RDA? thoughts?
    Possibly. If you're a menstruating female, then you're very possibly losing iron on a regular basis. I type medical reports for oncologists and hematologists, and I see a lot of reports for women who are in their active child bearing years who are anemic because of heavy blood flow every month.

    When you're young and active, low amounts of calcium may not be an issue, either. As women age and our bodies go through menopause, the calcium in our bones starts to decrease. If you are not actively supplementing with calcium or getting lots of calcium in your diet and participating in weightbearing exercise on a daily basis, your bones could become weaker than you would want them to be.

    Conversely, the iron isn't as important as women age and stop regular blood flow every month.

  4. #14
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    Possibly. If you're a menstruating female, then you're very possibly losing iron on a regular basis. I type medical reports for oncologists and hematologists, and I see a lot of reports for women who are in their active child bearing years who are anemic because of heavy blood flow every month.

    When you're young and active, low amounts of calcium may not be an issue, either. As women age and our bodies go through menopause, the calcium in our bones starts to decrease. If you are not actively supplementing with calcium or getting lots of calcium in your diet and participating in weightbearing exercise on a daily basis, your bones could become weaker than you would want them to be.

    Conversely, the iron isn't as important as women age and stop regular blood flow every month.
    I guess I'm okay then. I lift weights 3 x a week and have doing this for the last 8 years. I'm only 30. I have never broken anything in my life so that sure is a good sign. I actually started eating beef liver around the time of the month for the extra iron.

  5. #15
    peril's Avatar
    peril is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinNM View Post
    Possibly. If you're a menstruating female, then you're very possibly losing iron on a regular basis. I type medical reports for oncologists and hematologists, and I see a lot of reports for women who are in their active child bearing years who are anemic because of heavy blood flow every month.

    When you're young and active, low amounts of calcium may not be an issue, either. As women age and our bodies go through menopause, the calcium in our bones starts to decrease. If you are not actively supplementing with calcium or getting lots of calcium in your diet and participating in weightbearing exercise on a daily basis, your bones could become weaker than you would want them to be.

    Conversely, the iron isn't as important as women age and stop regular blood flow every month.
    The problem usually isn't too little calcium but malfunction of the calcium metabolism due to other deficiencies. Vitamins D, A and K are key here, along with magnesium and zinc. Vit D, K, Mg and Zn are often deficient. Sun, fermented food and seafood are the key. Vitamin D is so important here that the common paleo recommendations to supplement it at much greater rates than the RDA need to be counterbalanced by monitoring of calcium as it can cause an overload
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

    Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

  6. #16
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,186
    Just a thought - but way back in the day......as in caveman times........the food that was ingested would have to have been more nutrient dense than today??????? wouldn't it ????? so todays foods might just be totally different ???
    just wondring !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  7. #17
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Just a thought - but way back in the day......as in caveman times........the food that was ingested would have to have been more nutrient dense than today??????? wouldn't it ????? so todays foods might just be totally different ???
    just wondring !
    This is very likely the case. It doesn't mean that we can't, or shouldn't, be on the lookout for a way to get our entire RDA of nutrients daily. In fact, it probably means that this is even MORE important.

  8. #18
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,219
    Isn't
    Step 1: acquire beef liver
    Step 2: Fill in the gaps
    Step 3: Profit??
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  9. #19
    Jena's Avatar
    Jena is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    480
    My friend did this through most of her pregnancy and for the year that she breast fed. She also took prenatal vitamins, but tried to get her rda of micro nutrients outside of the vitamins. She is primal... she's not on this forum, but she is the one who introduced me to MDA She said it could be very challenging. I don't think she was too strict on the calories though.... she's one of those people who can eat whatever she wants and not gain an ounce anyway though... lucky girl

  10. #20
    cayla29s's Avatar
    cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    456
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The problem usually isn't too little calcium but malfunction of the calcium metabolism due to other deficiencies. Vitamins D, A and K are key here, along with magnesium and zinc. Vit D, K, Mg and Zn are often deficient. Sun, fermented food and seafood are the key. Vitamin D is so important here that the common paleo recommendations to supplement it at much greater rates than the RDA need to be counterbalanced by monitoring of calcium as it can cause an overload
    So are you saying that a calcium supplement is also needed for proper absorption of vitamin d. Maybe I'm not understanding what one truly needs in terms of supplements in order to be as healthy as possible. I thought paleo brings you as close to being healthy without needing too many vitamins from pills.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •