Thread: Primal food ideas page

Milliarde is offline Junior Member

Primal food ideas

Shop Now
    Hi all, I was hoping to get some ideas for what I can eat that would be healthy and fitting a primal lifestyle.

To give you an idea, I'm pretty picky and end up eating the following generally every day. I used to eat out (fast food) a whole lot but several months ago began working out and eating healthier, and recently I came across Mark's website.

I used to think Subway was healthy and eat there occasionally, but I realized that a typical sub I get has over 1000 g of sodium... It seems more and more to me that unless I cook everything at home most food has tons of sodium.

Stuff I eat regularly:
    Eggs (when I don't eat cereal for breakfast)
    Apple (sometimes bananas too)
    Peanut butter sandwich (crunchy PB)
    Turkey or ham sandwich (generally with 2 slices of wheat bread)
    Protein bar and protein shake pretty much every day
    Bagels
    Sometimes I'll make chicken/hamburgers on stovetop Foreman grill

As you can see, I'm not a complex cook, as most of this stuff is minimal to no cooking/preparation.

I would like to start eating eggs more regularly instead of cereal to cut out the grains, but what are some other simple things to do? If it involve more than 3 ingredients chances are it's not something I'll want to do regularly.

I'm sort of curious what other people do to eat healthy, since the majority of working folks I know don't take a healthy, home-prepared lunch every day, if at all. Unfortunately I'm picky so I don't like yogurt, most other fruit, or salad with any sort of dressing. I would also love to eat stuff like fish everyday, but it's pretty expensive, so maybe that's just something I'll have to deal with?

Thanks for any input!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    When I am lazy, I just stir fry everything together. Heat oil on pan and add meat. When cooked, add any chopped vegetables of choice. Add salt to desire when vegetables are cooked. Plate and serve.

Boiled eggs can be made in huge batches. A crockpot can help with the simplicity. Raw vegetables are generally easy. If you need a sauce, whipping stuff together in a blender is pretty quick and easy.

Milliarde is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input, sakura_girl. Stir fry sounds promising, although honestly I've never done it before so I'd have to look into it.

What sort of meats do you typically stir fry? If I'm right you can throw eggs in which I would like. However, the few meats I usually buy and cook are ground beef, turkey, chicken, or fish occasionally. These take forever to cook it seems and I'd be afraid if I did stir fry I wouldn't cook the inside completely, which has happened to me before using my stovetop Foreman.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Meats in a stir-fry? Anything you want!

Traditional proteins are eggs, thin steak strips, shrimp, pork medallions, ect...

But we're all primal here. Just use bacon!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I actually usually use ground beef, since that is the cheapest cut out of everything I can buy as actual meat from my farmer (as opposed to organs). Sometimes I throw in fish chunks or chicken breasts as my meat, and I simmer that in coconut oil. If I use fish, I throw it in after the vegetables because it takes like 2 minutes to cook. I use eggs occasionally in a stir fry, but I like the taste of meat better

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I actually usually use ground beef, since that is the cheapest cut out of everything I can buy as actual meat from my farmer (as opposed to organs). Sometimes I throw in fish chunks or chicken breasts as my meat, and I simmer that in coconut oil. If I use fish, I throw it in after the vegetables because it takes like 2 minutes to cook. I use eggs occasionally in a stir fry, but I like the taste of meat better
    Or just use eggs AND meat.

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Buy Crock Pot. Buy roast (pork or beef...doesnt matter). put roast in crock pot. Cover with water. Turn crock pot on. Go to work. Come home...eat roast. You can add onions and spices too...then you have meat for lunch the next day. Buy those little green beans or veggies in a bag and steam them or simmer them in water with butter in it.

It sounds to me like you dont have much experience cooking. Maybe you could buy a primal or paleo cookbook and experiment on the weekends. Make two or three times the normal serving and freeze some for later in the week.

Also, the list of things you eat has a lot of bread in it...do you mean that is what you used to eat before you started eating primal...or what you are eating now? Because bread isnt parting of the primal way of eating...

Good Luck!
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles