Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unschooling page 4

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I like this concept... but ultimately I still think it's important for kids to get SOME curriculum (ie maths skills etc.) that they may not get from that approach. Well, I suppose it depends what they want to do AFTER school, but it seems that having some sort of formalised curriculum would at least pave the way for them to get a university education, if that's what they choose.

Although, I guess if their interests lay in that direction, you'd end up going there anyway? I still think it'd be a bit hard to do something like calculus (for example) without any formal textbook type education (unless the parents were really good at it ).

Maybe I'm missing the point, though?

There was a time I liked the idea of homeschooling my kids, but I would have done it with a curriculum, and probably concentrated more on extending in those areas that the kids' interests lay.
    My kids go to an 'unschooling' public school, if you can imagine such a thing exists.
    Place-Based, Imaginative and Ecological learning and teaching will be experiential, in context, and through activities that engage the mind, body, and heart.
    They meet the standard learning outcomes - curriculum - through different means than textbooks and math quizzes. Multi-age learning groups ebb and flow by subject and activity. They emphasize personal and community responsibility, environmental stewardship, critical thinking, compassion and leadership.

I'm not interested in letter grades. I want my kids to learn how to learn. I want them to be passionate and capable lifelong learners. If you can learn how to learn while studying topics that interest and engage you, then you can apply those skills to any subject as needed throughout your life.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I'm not interested in letter grades.
    Me, neither. To put it very bluntly: letter grades are bullshit. This comes from a K-12 public schooler who now homeschools her own. I run my eclectic homeschool very much like my daughter's piano teacher runs her school: no letter grades, just repeated practice in what isn't sticking or what needs more engagement to stick until it DOES stick. Ergo - in my homeschool the kids are always "A" students simply because we just don't stop until the material (whatever that may be) is understood. So that "A" is an honest "A" grade as the kiddos DO understand (the material in question).

I went through my public school life essentially liking school (my mom always made sure to live on the "right" side of town so I got into "good" schools, but that is another schooling issue altogether), but only doing it to get that "A" grade (and the pats on the head from proud teachers) that would magically get me into a good college, which would then guarantee me a "successful" life. Hah - all real adults know that life is so much more complicated and deep than a good showing on a school transcript.

When I graduated high school, I was almost completely lost. There had always been Persons of Authority and Knowledge who decided what I was to learn, on what schedule, in what ways I was allowed to engage with the material, how I was to perform the assessment of the material I had "learned", and what the rewards and punishments were for not meeting the "standards". What?!?! I now have to decide that for myself?!?!? But, but, but HOW do I do THAT?! You never taught me how to think for myself!! I NEED Your external validation! JUST TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO!

Not with my kids, you don't. Now I know better. One of the most satisfying moments of the recent months: my girls' piano teacher, while normally teaching from a (rigorous) curriculum, told me that she has had to break with her expensive, purchased curriculum and essentially write original "curriculum" for my oldest two because they have such definite and wide-ranging interests in the piano pieces they wish to play (and don't want to play) that the books they had been using were no longer usable. And... that she finds the experience (with my always-homeschooled kids) a refreshing challenge.

That is the model I want for my kids: a mentor who truly knows her craft, coupled with an expectation of hard work and excellence (I shudder at that word, but this lady really means it - if you don't believe me, take a piano lesson from her!), passionate about what she does, willing to work outside some box, where the assumption is that a student will basically forever be honing and improving her ability because that is exactly what the mentor is doing. None of that requires "grades".
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 11-14-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234