Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be lifting weights at all, given my condition? page

Sabre is offline Senior Member

Should I be lifting weights at all, given my condition?

Primal Fuel
    Straight to the point: I got extremely ill last year with viral inflammation of the brain (very, very rare), and it screwed me up pretty badly. I didn't lift weights for 8 months.

I'm doing MUCH better these days, and have started back into some weight lifting. But I'm not fully healed: I still have residuals (fuzzy vision, fatigue, headaches), and I don't know whether I should be ADDING to things my body needs to work on healing (such as damaged muscle tissue, as that's how muscles grow). If I don't lift weights, would I be shoring up energy for my body to work on healing?

It would kill me to cut out weights entirely, even if temporarily, but if it's wise in these circumstances, I'll do it.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    This is a question for your physician. I would like to say that doing some mild bodyweight work wouldn't hurt, but I'm not qualified to say that.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    If your Doctor gives you the go ahead. Take it slow and listen to your body. Rest when you need, and anything that aggravates your condition stop doing. If something makes you feel better, that is where you should focus. But like iniQuity said, "This is a question for your physician."

My doctor recommended I "focus on physical fitness", but I didn't ask him specifically about weights. Truth be told, doctors know very little about my condition. It's extremely rare, affecting about 1 in a million people.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    My doctor recommended I "focus on physical fitness", but I didn't ask him specifically about weights. Truth be told, doctors know very little about my condition. It's extremely rare, affecting about 1 in a million people.
    in my experience, "focus on physical fitness" coming from a doctor can mean anything from walking for 10 minutes to training for ironman. they don't give much fitness advice because they need to keep a broad knowledge of tons of stuff, and a specific fitness plan would just take up too much brain space.
    talk to you physician, but i would also figure out a plan that you are interested in following, along with your current related healthy stats, and get the advice of an expert in your condition.

Ask your Dr. if there is anything that you are not to do. I would bet his answer will be to try whatever makes you happy and feels comfortable.

Thank you for the replies. Any more input is much welcome, you guys probably know more than most doctors about fitness and the effects of weight lifting on the body. I read Mark's posts on inflammation, and as he notes himself, there's no consensus, much of it is up in the air (as to how to work out and what effect inflammation has on the body), but any relevant information is much appreciated.

I guess my question comes down to this: Is weight lifting a bad idea for someone whose body is (or should be) busy healing a preexisting condition?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    I guess my question comes down to this: Is weight lifting a bad idea for someone whose body is (or should be) busy healing a preexisting condition?
    that actually sounds like a great question to ask Mark. while your condition may not apply to many people, the question and the answer does. he might just get back to you, but i'm guessing he and the worker bees will do their research and get you closer to an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that actually sounds like a great question to ask Mark. while your condition may not apply to many people, the question and the answer does. he might just get back to you, but i'm guessing he and the worker bees will do their research and get you closer to an answer.
    Interesting, I'll get on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Landen10 View Post
    Yes, You can lifting weights to build your body but it should not be to much of your capacity.
    Could you elaborate? Is that based on any particular evidence or just "common sense"?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Let your body be your guide. If it feels like your pushing to far, slow it down and drop the weight down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast