Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A question of mass page 3

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I love my squatter's bubble butt. Makes it harder to buy pants, but that's like complaining because your amazing breasts make it harder to buy blouses. It's a good problem to have.

As my beloved pointed out when we were watching videos on squat form last night, that particular movement gets the attention of every straight man in the gym when there's a woman in the squat rack.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TheTeddy is offline Member
    Women may not bulk up overnight, but this thread sure did. Look at this thread, eating all high protein and lifting heavy. Anyway, thanks for the advice, all of you. I'm going to try to be as consistent with my protein as I can. I'm 5'11, about 175, so correct me if I'm wrong but the bare minimum for that is about 122 grams, yes? Is that just to maintain muscle, or will that add density too? I'll take dense muscle over huge muscle.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msfish View Post
    What is moderate protein to you?
    That's probably pretty individual to you. What's your protein intake now? Try starting at the low end of the spectrum, say .7g/lb of lean body weight, and tinker from there after a few weeks.

Also, seriously, don't stress on the bubble butt. For real.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTeddy View Post
    Women may not bulk up overnight, but this thread sure did. Look at this thread, eating all high protein and lifting heavy. Anyway, thanks for the advice, all of you. I'm going to try to be as consistent with my protein as I can. I'm 5'11, about 175, so correct me if I'm wrong but the bare minimum for that is about 122 grams, yes? Is that just to maintain muscle, or will that add density too? I'll take dense muscle over huge muscle.
    If you want to keep muscle, that's probably enough protein as long as you lift heavy, but if you want to gain muscle, eat more protein and more overall calories. Like probably more than you think you need to. A lot.

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTeddy View Post
    I've been doing pf for going on four weeks now. I'm on level 5 pull ups and push ups, and level 7 Squats and planks. Because I can't readily afford it, I've been limiting my high protein days to when I strength train. I'm trying to build muscle while losing fat, so I'm staying as low carb as I can, typically 60 and under. I know it may seem contradictory, but I'm fairly certain you can build muscle while shedding fat. However, even though I'm getting stronger, I'm adding no noticeable mass to my upper arms. My shoulders have become more defined, and my forearms are quite muscular now, but my triceps and biceps are still, well, insignificant in my opinion. So my question is, if I'm adding muscle to my calves, thighs, chest, back, forearms, and shoulders, then why aren't my tri's and bi's getting any love? Also is it better to go high protein th day of training, or the day after?
    If you want more impressive looking arms then i would do some "direct" arm work. Dont worry about gaining size(mass) on your arms, instead strive to make them more muscular/defined/vascular etc.

Im only 150lbs (5'10") and my arms are just shy of 16", but they are extremely vascular. As a result when i have a t-shirt on nobody ever believes that i only weigh 150lbs. I will take a defined 16" arm over a bulky 18"arm anyday.

In time as your bodyfat % lowers your arms will look more impressive. They will even appear bigger even if the tape measure says otherwise.

Focus on some direct arm work:
    Biceps-barbell curls/dumbell curls/hammer curls/concentration curls etc.
    Triceps-dumbell tricep ext./lying tricep ext./tricep pushdowns/tricep kickbacks etc.

You can get a good biceps and triceps workout in only 15min 2X a week, if you put enough intesity into it.

Keep your fats and protein fairly high.. as far as carbs go (if your trying to loose body fat) then you should consume the bulk of your carbs post workout. Im not a fan of consuming carbs pre workout. If you find you dont have enough energy to get you thru your workout then one thing that works great for me (and this is after 10hrs of manual labour) is drinking coconut milk about 1/2hour before my workout. It will digest very quickly/wont compromise your digestive system/ and you get tons of energy from the MCT's in the coconut milk... hope this helps

Kinnell is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    agreed. muscle mass is made of glycogen.
    and the dude is right...you've got to eat more to get bigger.

also bear in mind that size does not equal strength. you can have smallish looking arms and still be strong as hell; your muscles are just leaner and denser than the guy doing 5x20 curls with light weight (probably in the squat rack).
    So if I don't care about the size of my muscles and simply want to get stronger, I don't need to eat excess carbs? Right now I'm mainly concerned with getting stronger and improving my fat burning capacity, and eating loads of carbs seems contrary to this. Besides which, I like the idea of being way stronger than I look

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123