Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How has your primal diet evolved over time? page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

How has your primal diet evolved over time?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing this for a year. My diet has evolved and changed, ebbed and flowed over time.

At first my diet was high fat, low carb. I ate lots of creamy dairy things and fatty meats and tried to add fat to everything. It worked for weight loss and hunger control, but eventually I got tired of so much fat.

After that, I went to a diet of more whatever fat came in the meat plus starchy things like sweet potatoes, celery root, African yams. I call this the "potato months". I didn't lose much weight during this time. I started getting sleepy at lunch. I got tired of all the starch.

Lately it's big ass salads for breakfast and meat and veggies for dinner. It's been warm lately so maybe getting my carbs from fruity veggies like tomatoes instead of potatoes is better. Maybe cold fats like olive oil and avocado and eating raw, cold foods is more appealing when it's hot. I eat a little real fruit now and then, mostly fresh figs and sapotes. I'll probably get tired of it eventually and move to something else.

Through it all I've experimented more and more with crazy off-cuts of meat.

Has your primal diet evolved over time? Is it seasonal? Is it based on goals?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I started off very strict on myself. Pretty much fish, broccoli, carrot sticks, and fruit (mostly blueberries, strawberries, and bananas. I was finding it hard to feel full so I started eating ribeyes, pork tenderloin, and added dairy back in. I have cut back a lot on dairy and have been experimenting a lot more with recipes. I make primal pizza crust, spaghetti sauce (I eat it with spaghetti squash or just on its own), eggplant lasagna, chillis, stews, etc... I am into apples and almond butter right now a lot. Oh, and eggs have been a constant. I go through phases with foods. I honestly have not been very hungry at all lately and have been having trouble finding things that sound good. I made some Cajun chicken wings tonight and they were awesome though!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Well, I started with the paleo books, Loren Cordain and Robb Wolfe. I owe them a debt, but I like Mark's take on this better. At first I was going strict paleo, no grains, no sugar, no legumes and no dairy. I've reincorporated dairy, although mostly heavy cream, cheese and a bit of yogurt. Right now I'm eating turnips, parsnips and squashes... 'tis the season... but I don't think that's helping me loose weight. I try really hard to get my fish! We'll just have to see how it goes.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I eat way more yogurt, it's my only significant protein source now days. Either goats yogurt, greek or homemade. I eat much less meat and way more sweet potatoes with spices and homemade spicy sauces. I still eat lots of fibrous vegetables so that hasn't changed, but I also eat more citrus fruits. If I ever feel like morning breakfast, which isn't very often, I have rice porridge with fruit and yogurt.
    I started with meats, fruits and vegetables and 3 cooked meat & veg type meals a day, there's no way I could go back to cooking 3 meals a day, especially in the morning. I probably eat less protein and I rarely eat salads anymore because the produce doesn't stay as fresh if I only eat it once of twice a week.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 10-03-2012 at 09:00 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Funny you ask. I just realized today how/what I think I need to change. Well I have been thinking about it for awhile, but I think I was able to clearly see when I was reading Perfect Health Diet for weight loss. Something clicked even though I have read the information before, several times even.

Since Primal in mid-March, I have been high fat, low to VLC, moderate protein and sucky slow but steady weight loss. So yes, that is a good thing. It has shown me that when I move into maintenance, this is the perfect way of life for me. It is really just getting back to the way I was raised when we were all lean already.

But to get lean, well to lose the fat anyways, I have to make some changes. I need to cut all the extra excess fat that I have added in, and go more like you said, with just the fats from the meats. I had more carbs, low fat, and mod. protein when I was losing 8-10lb a month and I am going to experiment and see if this is what it will take to get back to that again. I think I will see that my carbs are still in the curve for losing weight, and now I know what good fats are but I just need to limit & get strict with the fat. Even eat more protein during this part of the phase.

I have learned what true hunger is, I have learned how to fast, I have learned what foods keep me full for longer, so I need to apply these principles to my new plan for October and see where it takes me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    my primal eating is pretty much the only thing that changes (sleep, exercise, etc. stay remarkably constant), and usually with the seasons. i was super strict when i first started, mostly because i used to weight well over 300 and was afraid of getting back to that point. as time goes on, i tend to get more and more relaxed with things. i am much less carb-phobic, particularly in regard to sugar. i also have a lot less guilt about eating SAD foods once in a while.
    and lately i've made a bit of a switch too. i'm eating a lot less meat than i used to. i love it, but realized i was overdoing it on the protein. so, my plates are loaded with veggies and just a little meat. i'm hoping to take that change and move more toward better quality meats and produce...but that's more of a financial issue.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Started 100% paleo with little fruit and as low carb as possible
    Then added dairy
    Then added (sweet) potatoes
    Then added more fruit
    Then added dark chocolate
    Then added more fruit
    Then added honey
    Then added more fruit
    Then cut out the honey and cut down the chocolate

I want to eat ice cream but i don't like my own made whatever I try and now haagen dazs replaced their coconut fat in theri ice cream with veg oil
    Last edited by Gadsie; 10-04-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    Billie trips balls

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Whole 30 really changed me. I am now off the chocolate and dairy and not really wanting it anymore. I am eating more fruit and using more fat to prepare foods (at least it seems like it). I don't track carbs.

I'd say I have gone to a more whole foods way of eating that incorporates more natural sweets- so for example, breakfast when I started was bacon and eggs, now it might be an apple with some almond butter. I think overall the sugar is lower though.

I'm starting to prefer leaner meats and doing more to make them taste good- spice rubs etc. Using more coconut products.

My SAD cheats are happily not frequent- I find I just don't like those foods anymore. I'm day 29 of Whole 30 and if someone gave me the choice of a magical slice of pizza and a cupcake that had no ill side effects OR a plate of london broil, butternut squash and brocolli with a dessert of dates, I'd take the london broil.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'd take the london broil, too!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    For me it has not changed much, my primal eating has more to do with what is on hand than any choice to add this or that. I still primarily focus on meat and two veg with my meals, BAS for lunch etc.
    I have just bought 100lb of grass fed, hormone free beef so that is going to be a big plus!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast