Thread: Bringing the PB to the Workplace page

rcdenner is offline Junior Member

Bringing the PB to the Workplace

Primal Fuel
    Need some help here...

I am part of a small committee at work whose mission is foster health and wellness amongst our employees. We have made much progress over the past few years, offering free gym memberships to all employees, organic fruit & vegetable deliveries, sponsorship of athletic events, and free preventative screenings at our wellness fair, amongst others. It really is something to be proud of, and we have received a lot of positive feedback.

One thing I am struggling with communicating to the rest of the committee is the concept of healthy eating as per the PB. I can only assume that most, if not all, subscribe to Conventional Wisdom, in that grains are healthy, fat is bad, etc. Someone had a good suggestion that we make a company recipe book with recipe make overs (turn an existing dish into a healthier one), but there were some concerns that people might add butter to a dish (because well, butter is unhealthy, right?). There were a few other things that were painful to hear, but you get my drift. I feel that if I spoke up against any of this, that I would be so far out in left field compared to CW, that I wouldn't be taken seriously. It doesn't help that I am the youngest in the group and known for endurance athletic endeavors, so what would I know? I am just young and burn it off anyways, right?

Ideally, I would love for Mark to come in and get the message across, but short of that, how can one influence change in a professional environment that goes against nearly everything the media reports?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You could get a couple copies of the book and offer it up as a fresh outlook on health and nutrition, and have some of the more open-minded members of your committee read it.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest just mentioning PB and Mark to plant a seed. If
    someone is interested and they see good results in you, their interest
    my be piqued and they can find the info that they need here and from
    you.
    A lot of our ideas go against CW of course so, presenting to a group
    of people is likely to cause them to reject what you are saying as
    whole and tune out. As Mark said in PB our diet is a fairly elitist one
    and CW won't be changing any time soon.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    don't take this the wrong way, but the style of PB is such that it could be looked at and consigned to the "fad diet" category - to someone who didn't spend time reading it. Plus I doubt corporations would be willing to go out on a limb like that.
    It's always worth planting the seed though.

And, how about talking about returning to simple, traditional home cooking - more along WAPF lines perhaps. "Meat and two veg" has to be better than a cheeseburger, even if it includes potatoes

Is there a simple 1-2 page rundown of PB available on MDA somewhere? As a handout you could try, that might float around and get read after the meeting, or at coffee break, or.....

grandma is offline Member
    I think many concepts can be presented as compatible. No processed crap, O3/O6 ratios, Nuts are good for you, lift heavy things, move more, walking is good for you. These things can be explained from an evolutionary stand. You can then move into more controversial concepts if that goes well.
    It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    If you just bring it up as an option, you might find there's someone else who also wanted to do so, but thought *they* were the only one