Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Canida diet and coffee - can I or can't I? page

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member

Anti-Canida diet and coffee - can I or can't I?

I'm interested to hear from those in the know - can I have a cup of black coffee a day on this diet and is it ok to drink black tea?

I've been battling Candida and chronic yeast infections for well over 20 years. I've been primal for 10 months and my Candida has become worse, probably because when I have cheats (usually sugary binges) my poor body leaps from pure and wholesome to sugar infested.

After a month of itching, soreness, mouth ulcers and painful joints I'm taking a deep breath and heading back into the Candida diet. I did it several years ago for about 4 months but then fell pregnant and became very ill and stopped.

I'm good with what I can and can't eat, it's like super strict primal. BUT I am confused about coffee. I am and addict, I could give it up if I had to, and that's what I want to know. Mark did a recent post and the conclusion seemed to be that black coffee doesn't spike insulin levels. My Naturopath knows my addiction and says one a day if I have to. Mark also said in a recent Candida post that black tea is helpful, but many of the Candida websites say no black or green tea. I'm confused!

Does anyone have any experience?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I can't really answer your question regarding the coffee, but I do have a question. Have you every tried coconut oil to get rid of the candida? It can be very effective for systemic yeast infection.

redskater is offline Junior Member
    I did a yeast-free diet through my nutritionist and I was allowed to have coffee as long as it was organic. Didn't seem to bother me any. But I only have one cup a day.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    I can't really answer your question regarding the coffee, but I do have a question. Have you every tried coconut oil to get rid of the candida? It can be very effective for systemic yeast infection.
    I consume coconut oil on a daily basis, it's an anti-fungal, but I am so riddled with the candida that this is another weapon in my arsenal rather than the cure. Thanks anyway. I normally fry my breakfast eggs in butter, but am on the coconut oil again, so getting even more. I miss butter thougnh

Quote Originally Posted by redskater View Post
    I did a yeast-free diet through my nutritionist and I was allowed to have coffee as long as it was organic. Didn't seem to bother me any. But I only have one cup a day.
    That's interesting, I'll switch to organic anyway, it makes sense if my diet needs to be as pure as possible. Did you drink black or green tea?

I can't believe I headed my thread 'Anti CANADA diet' - yikes, what would that involve? No maple syrup?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    In my experience - avoid black tea - it's a fermented food and very high in mold toxins that promote candida and is also high in histamine. But that is my down to my personal genetics.

Black coffee is just fine eating low/moderate carb. It's also a potent anti-histamine.

The question you need to ask is: why are you prone to yeast infections?

(a) weak immune system generally
    (b) chronic inflammation (due to strong immune system plus environmental factors) which can result in a weak immune response to yeast/bacteria cf viruses.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Have you been tested for h.pylori?

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The question you need to ask is: why are you prone to yeast infections?

(a) weak immune system generally
    (b) chronic inflammation (due to strong immune system plus environmental factors) which can result in a weak immune response to yeast/bacteria cf viruses.
    I don't know if my immune system is weak, these days I don't seem to become ill very often. I have had shingles a couple of times. I was born with oral thrush and had tonsilitis followed by antibiotics throughout childhood and early adulthood until my boss insisted on their removal when I was 24. I also took antibiotics for 2 years for acne, drank a lot of alcohol and sugar and was on the pill for 10 years. I assume all of these things have compounded and got me to where I am now. I don't know, does it make a difference in terms of treatment?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Have you been tested for h.pylori?
    Actually yes I have, a few years ago, a gastro checked me. I had all sorts of tests and checks but saw a Naturopath a few months later and she got straight on the Candida. DO you have it? How does it impact?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast