Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Canida diet and coffee - can I or can't I? page 2

redskater is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    That's interesting, I'll switch to organic anyway, it makes sense if my diet needs to be as pure as possible. Did you drink black or green tea?
    I didn't drink tea, just a ton of water and a cup of coffee. you do need to stay away from anything that creates mold.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Do a search on here for 'candida' and you will find a ton of info.

I've been battling candida on/off again for over a year. I finally sought out the help of a naturopath with loads of experience with candida and getting rid of it.

Coffee is said to be mouldy; unless you buy David Asprey's coffee from his site, I would stay away. Having said that, everyone with candida is different. Yours may not react. I avoid coffee mostly because I feel ill after drinking it. I am fine drinking black tea, although I don't consume it regularly.

At the same time, some people with candida react heavily to fermented foods. Some don't. I could not consume apple cider vinegar, for example, for a long time. I can now in very small amounts.

Candida is a bitch, because there are no reliable tests for it that are 100% accurate. Mark even posted an article on candida recently with some very good info (particularly low carb is just as bad as high carb for candida, as it can feed on ketones AND sugar alternately). But it's all very inconclusive.

I am on a product from Biotics Research called A.D.P. It is an emulsified, slow release form of oil of oregano. It works great. My bowel movements are far more regular than they've ever been, and the white coating on my tongue has disappeared.

And I've tried EVERYTHING: from kyolic garlic supps, high doses of coconut oil (it didn't work for me), yeast-eating enzymes from multiple different brands). You name it, I tried it.

Candida gave me a nasty form of periorial (sp?) dermatitis on my chin and around my mouth. I rid myself of it in a month using l-glutamine is large doses, between 10 - 20 grams a day.

You should also know that candida overgrowth also starts because of adrenal fatigue. Your adrenals regulate blood sugar, your rest/digest and fight/flight systems, and your immune system. If they are out of whack, chances are you've developed weird food allergies (like I have), you're constantly tired (ditto), you are sensitive to odd smells (oh yeah) and you always get sick (yep).

Research the crap out of local naturopaths and find a good one. You CANNOT DO THIS ALONE. I tried, and I spent so much money over the course of a year.

I was tested for food allergies FIRST when I saw my current naturopath, and I had to remove A LOT from my diet, so my immune system could stop freaking out over what I was eating and start dealing with candida. I've also started healing my adrenals slowly. I figured if I heal my adrenals, then I am ultimately getting to the source of the problem. Food allergies/candiasisis doesn't just develop because of leaky gut. There are other reasons.

This is seriously frustrating, hard work. I was at the end of my rope, many, many times. The internet is a bitch because there is A TON of misinformation out there. I've read it all.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Have you looked into GAPS? It is very helpful in healing digestion and helps many clear up allergic reactions to things by healing the gut. Since candida is a systemic issue GAPS works to heal systemic function.

Mozz is offline Junior Member
    Also take a look at Body Ecology. Donna Gates has been curing people with candida for ages.

Mozz is offline Junior Member
    Substitute with ghee

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozz View Post
    Substitute with ghee
    Still dairy, no?!

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Do a search on here for 'candida' and you will find a ton of info.

I've been battling candida on/off again for over a year. I finally sought out the help of a naturopath with loads of experience with candida and getting rid of it.

Coffee is said to be mouldy; unless you buy David Asprey's coffee from his site, I would stay away. Having said that, everyone with candida is different. Yours may not react. I avoid coffee mostly because I feel ill after drinking it. I am fine drinking black tea, although I don't consume it regularly.

At the same time, some people with candida react heavily to fermented foods. Some don't. I could not consume apple cider vinegar, for example, for a long time. I can now in very small amounts.

Candida is a bitch, because there are no reliable tests for it that are 100% accurate. Mark even posted an article on candida recently with some very good info (particularly low carb is just as bad as high carb for candida, as it can feed on ketones AND sugar alternately). But it's all very inconclusive.

I am on a product from Biotics Research called A.D.P. It is an emulsified, slow release form of oil of oregano. It works great. My bowel movements are far more regular than they've ever been, and the white coating on my tongue has disappeared.

And I've tried EVERYTHING: from kyolic garlic supps, high doses of coconut oil (it didn't work for me), yeast-eating enzymes from multiple different brands). You name it, I tried it.

Candida gave me a nasty form of periorial (sp?) dermatitis on my chin and around my mouth. I rid myself of it in a month using l-glutamine is large doses, between 10 - 20 grams a day.

You should also know that candida overgrowth also starts because of adrenal fatigue. Your adrenals regulate blood sugar, your rest/digest and fight/flight systems, and your immune system. If they are out of whack, chances are you've developed weird food allergies (like I have), you're constantly tired (ditto), you are sensitive to odd smells (oh yeah) and you always get sick (yep).

Research the crap out of local naturopaths and find a good one. You CANNOT DO THIS ALONE. I tried, and I spent so much money over the course of a year.

I was tested for food allergies FIRST when I saw my current naturopath, and I had to remove A LOT from my diet, so my immune system could stop freaking out over what I was eating and start dealing with candida. I've also started healing my adrenals slowly. I figured if I heal my adrenals, then I am ultimately getting to the source of the problem. Food allergies/candiasisis doesn't just develop because of leaky gut. There are other reasons.

This is seriously frustrating, hard work. I was at the end of my rope, many, many times. The internet is a bitch because there is A TON of misinformation out there. I've read it all.
    I've trawled through all the posts on the site, a wealth of information but also lots of descrepancies and conflicting information. It sends me a bit more into despair and then I start procrastinating. I've read many of your posts on it, I was actually going to PM you.

For now, I'm doing strict candida diet for at least 8 weeks, then reintroduce some more vegetables and maybe some berries, then keep going from there. My naturopath is pretty good and I trust her. I'm eating in a way that feels good, I need my intuition for this one. Someone recommended a homeopath for systemic candida, but I'll give this diet my all first. I haven't helped myself i nthe last few years with sugar binges and high fruit consumption.

I'm interested in the idea of ketosis bringing a candida onset. The strict candida diet on primal is totally ketogenic and I can't see a way around that...does ketosis effert you? I haven't meant to go into ketosis but I must be and I can taste it in my mouth. I'm not eating any root vegetables or squashes. I am eating sheep's milk yoghurt which is about as close as I'm getting to any carbs.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I rid myself of it in a month using l-glutamine is large doses, between 10 - 20 grams a day.
    So 10-20 gram of l-glutamine a day to get rid of candida? Did you do anything else at the time
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

No. L-glutamine to heal dermatitis on my chin/around my mouth.

I'm not a fan of GAPS; too restrictive, takes too much time for prep, and a serious dependence on nuts.

Dexy, candida feeds on ketones as well as sugar. Do not go too low carb. It's ok to eat a little sweet potato, and some berries here and there.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No. L-glutamine to heal dermatitis on my chin/around my mouth.

I'm not a fan of GAPS; too restrictive, takes too much time for prep, and a serious dependence on nuts.

Dexy, candida feeds on ketones as well as sugar. Do not go too low carb. It's ok to eat a little sweet potato, and some berries here and there.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast