Thread: Newbie needing help re: calories in per day? page

Cgh179 is offline Junior Member

Newbie needing help re: calories in per day?

Primal Fuel
    What are the ramifications of not taking in enough calories in a day.....if that is even a possibility? I'm a 36 year old male (currently at 225 but down from 265 since January.) I take a teaspoon of coconut oil every morning along with a multivitamin. Sometimes I don't have breakfast or lunch. Usually eat a sensible dinner of protein, veggies, and maybe another teaspoon of coconut oil. Sometimes this is by design and sometimes I'm just not very hungry and only want to eat 1 small meal per day.

If I don't take in 2500 calories or so per day, what happens? Is my body just going to use my stored body fat (via ketosis) or ???? CW always talks about not eating enough can slow down your metabolism.

Anybody care to help a newbie out? My ketostix don't indicate I'm in ketosis.

otzi Guest
    It's a slippery slope, cutting calories. Since we are about the same stats age/weight wise I feel I'm qualified to give you some advice. I went from 250 to 165 over 2 years. The last 20lbs went off waaaay slower than the first 50. When you lose weight, your caloric need decreases. You have to continually titrate your calories down as you go. Luckily this is usually automatic as hunger signals improve and your metabolism gets to working right again. Occasional over-feedings are burned off if everything is working right, but continual overfeedings make you fat.

The best way I found (for me), eat without counting calories, but kind of track what you eat. If you are not losing like you want, ditch something or cut down on portion sizes. ie. less (or no) coconut oil, IF til lunch every day, etc... Eventually you will start losing again, but it will be very slow towards the end.

The ramifications of not taking in enough calories are that you will be constantly hungry and prone to eating something you shouldn't or just feeling plain miserable. Your body will adapt but your brain might not. I have found counting calories to be a very bad way to judge food intake. Food labels are wildly misleading and often just plain wrong. I have found much more joy in counting nutrients using the free nutrient calculator on FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal I plan out sample menus and see where that puts me for calories/nutrients for the day. Sometimes something as simple as a handful of almonds or a can of smoked oysters will put you over for all tracked nutrients for the day. In my mind, it's way more important to hit the majority of micronutrients than macros.

Good luck!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    If you aren't hungry, there shouldn't be a problem. It does sound like there's not enough fat in your diet.

I'm eating somewhat similar to you, except that I try to make sure that my dinner is a FEAST, or else I get cold hands/feet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right