Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's more important: low-carb or Primal ?? page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Like everyone else said, it's more important to be primal than low carb.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Wow thanks for all the responses everyone!! Ok ok don't worry I'm not gonna buy anymore hot dogs lol

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I think the most important thing is that you learn how to cook, to include vegetables or offal. Preferably both.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Are you eating the same thing every day? That's NOT the best of ideas. Do you eat fish? I would recommend eating different proteins as the urge comes. This week I've eaten, let's see... steaks on Sunday, turkey on Monday and Tuesday... big turkey... and Salmon and sausages today. Vary the routine!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The more you learn how to cook, the more you can do with foods, so you're less likely to get bored.

If all you know is how to toss something into the microwave and eat it off of a paper plate, then you're missing out.

Even a SAD cookbook will teach you how to cook a roast or make pulled pork or cook an artichoke (mmmm, butter scooper), but there are plenty of Primal/Paleo recipes on the internet. And the best way to pick up cooking skills is to just keep trying new things.

Trust me, I can't eat dark chocolate, wine (even marinating in it), or processed meats (hot dogs, bacon), plus I'm trying to eat low carb, so it's not always easy. When I get frustrated, I start Googling for something new to try, and that helps to not only relieve any boredom, but expand both my recipe collection and my cooking skills.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Hot dogs? As far as I'm concerned, they're not even MEAT. I don't know what's in them, because I really, really don't want to know... but they don't resemble real meat AT ALL... not to mention all the preservatives and crap in them.

There are many, many better options than hot dogs. Sure, most won't be as cheap but at least they'll be FOOD!

There's fish, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb... all of which are actual food .

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Ya I pretty much eat the same things . Lots of eggs bacon steak and whey protein. I am a horrible cook. Everything I do is plain. Tbh just frying up some bacon and eggs is a HUGE step for me. Used to just eat Mac and cheese.I know I need veggies but for the most part I don't like them. And if I do they are raw. been trying to mix in fresh express veggie lovers salad

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Although primal and low carb are KINDA one in the same
    Not they are not. I know plenty of low carbers who all sorts of processed foods with no regard for quality. And while I don't count macros, I'm pretty sure there are some carbs in the veggies, fruit and dairy I eat.

Eat a variety of real food.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ok... I should admit to having one "hot dog" weakness.

BUT!
    It's a specialty product made only in Syracuse, NY.
    It's pretty ridiculously expensive for me to get shipped to FL... so I rarely have them.
    And despite it being a "hot dog" it's really more of a finely ground specialty sausage...
    It's the Hoffman Snappy Griller.
    (I think this may have now been officially been changed to "Coney's")
    My husband and his family from upstate NY have always referred to these as "Coney's"... and this has gotten me into trouble as I have thought I'd get this delightful specialty sausage by ordering a Coney off a regular menu... yuk!

The company, Hoffman's of Syracuse, always ships fresh, uses no gluten, no MSG, no by-products, no artificial colors or flavors, and the product is minimally processed in a natural casing.
    The ingredients are: pork, veal, egg white, and nonfat dry milk along with spices (tastes like a mix of maybe white pepper and allspice or mace and cayenne pepper). I'm sure there is some salt too, but they are surprisingly not salty flavored for a sausage type device.
    They are white-ish rather than pink like hot dogs.

On a very special occasion I would eat several of these babies... with no remorse at all
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" is an awesome cookbook. I've only cooked a few recipes from it, but the ideas and concepts that I learned from reading it helped me learn how to cook. At the end of the day, you just have to get in the kitchen and try! The worst that can happen is that your meal is less than delicious. As long as you learn from your mitakes, it's worth it.

I also higly recommend The Food Lab on Serious Eats. And Good Eats with Alton Brown. Watch/read the above sources and you will become a competent cook.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast