Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't I eat ham!?!?! page 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had nitrate (or nitrite?) free bacon. It had nitrates (or nitrites) from celery salt or celery or something. I wonder if that is just as bad.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    A ham is just a cut of meat off the hog correct? We buy ours direct from the butcher, and I don't think it has any of this bad stuff added. I understand where smoking, salting, sugaring etc could be bad, but just a plain ham.....should be ok right?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shep68 View Post
    A ham is just a cut of meat off the hog correct? We buy ours direct from the butcher, and I don't think it has any of this bad stuff added. I understand where smoking, salting, sugaring etc could be bad, but just a plain ham.....should be ok right?
    A "fresh ham" is just a hunk of raw meat and is perfectly okay.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I hate ham!! Where I grew up we always ate ham after funerals - the association is burned in to me!

In general, though, I think the whole "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" applies here. Have some ham here and there if you would like, but it is a bit too processed to make it daily staple IMHO.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Metric is offline Senior Member
    TOOMBS, maybe next time try a nice pork belly next time. Since I tried pork belly, I no longer crave/want ham...

TOOMBS is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    TOOMBS, maybe next time try a nice pork belly next time. Since I tried pork belly, I no longer crave/want ham...
    oh yeah! i've never tried pork belly but see it on cooking shows all the time. is it not just bacon that is not sliced yet?

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Sugar used in good quality ham is nothing to worry about, it's there in so tiny amounts that scientifically it couldn't mess with your insulin levels at all.

The deal about nitrates/nitrites...etc is very controversial and is the only thing that could worry you about eating good quality cold cuts (easy to find here in France hehe)
    I eat Ham and Deli Sliced Turkey on a regular basis because it's convenient for a student.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

redskater is offline Junior Member
    applegate farms makes a deli ham without all the nitrates in it. I use it occasionally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12