Thread: Weight Loss question page

mackekat is offline Junior Member

Weight Loss question

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

My name is Kathleen and I have been primal for 13 days. I have cheated twice but work-out 5 days per week. My main reason for going primal initially was to lose weight, however, now I like the healthy lifestyle. I am curious as to when people started seeing weight loss results as I have seen none thus far.

Thank you!

I spent a year and a half going low carb. I didn't get consistent results until I stopped cheating. It took me a year to get used to low carb and now I'm transitioning into primal.

I have lost about 10-15 lbs within that year. I made little changes here and there and kept doing research to justify giving up "cheat" meals. What made me switch over to primal was reading "wheat belly".

It'll be different for everyone, but you should stick to it because you want to do it for the rest of your life.

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    It depends how much you have to lose, among other things.
    Have you dieted a lot before?
    Is your exercise new, or what you were doing before?
    How old are you?
    Is your life very stressful?
    Do you have any food sensitivities?

I wouldn't worry about it for at least a month. Just try to get used to your new ways.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Definitively define what you are ingesting. That's the only way you and us will truly understand what you are ingesting and why you are not seeing results. I saw results from day one. Share with us exactly what you are ingesting and let's have a look.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    More specifics would definitely help.

For some people, a cheat is half a german chocolate cake washed down with a hot fudge sundae (after 4 slices of pizza). Others feel like they're cheating if they eat a banana.

And working out could be pretty much anything.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    It has taken me 6 months to loose 2 kg. So not a great deal of success on the scales, but I only had about 5kg to loose, so I'm almost halfway to my goal.

I think the biggest change for me (what I did to start the weight loss)was slowly weening off paleo puddings/baked goods made with ground almonds, banana, flax seed etc, and reducing my dairy. I'm not talking about eliminating these things entirely, but it has taken me 7 months to get to the point where I just can't be bothered making coconut flour muffins or pancakes or almond meal crackers. Instead I'll go for a bowl of berries with cream or 4 pieces of dark choc and thats all.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I lost 12 lbs the first 3 wks but I limited carbs to no more than 30 gms daily and started walking 1 mile a day the first wk, then upped that to 2mis daily. (4 miles now on treadmill, 2 at 7am, 2 at nite) I didn't cheat any with junk/fast foods, but I didn't eat much of that anyway.. What I had to change was portion size, and, of course giving up biscuits, waffles, PB&J (and all) sandwiches, which I loved but lost the craving after a month. Lots of filtered water and multivitamin will keep you happy.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackekat View Post
    I am curious as to when people started seeing weight loss results as I have seen none thus far
    I cut out virtually all grains and beer in early March. I cut down on potatoes but still eat legumes, including tinned baked beans every Thursday when my wife goes to Tai Chi afterwards. I also decided to include treats in my diet so we have 25 gms of 70% cocoa solid chocolate after dinner and I drink wine two or three times a week. I count calories to keep roughly 500 a day less than maintenance level.

I've lost 46 lbs to date. The weight loss has slowed right up now. I think it's because I started Body by Science strength training three months ago and I am beginning to close in on the weight/look I'll be happy with. I reckon I've still got well over 14 lbs of fat to go but I'm hopefully slowly turning that into lean muscle. At 5'11" I started at 240 lbs and am now 194. I am feeling I should be able to get down to mid 170ies. My main goal at present is a 36" waist for Christmas.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackekat View Post
    Hello,

My name is Kathleen and I have been primal for 13 days. I have cheated twice but work-out 5 days per week. My main reason for going primal initially was to lose weight, however, now I like the healthy lifestyle. I am curious as to when people started seeing weight loss results as I have seen none thus far.

Thank you!
    1. You may be doing too much exercise and/or of the wrong sort. At five days a week that's likely.

2. It's not really weight you want to lose but fat.

There's a raft of thoughts and experiences around those areas. I think the interview below is one of the best illustrations of why what many people think will help won't. I hope it'll be of interest and perhaps help:

Podcast 14: AHS Takeaways and Keith Norris Interview - Caveman Doctor