Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are oats okay for ME? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Are oats okay for ME?

Primal Fuel
    I know that oats are mostly a no-no on the PB, but I've recently started to workout and have needed something to fuel me up afterwards. I'm a freshman in college as well, so I only have a instant pot (pressure pot) to cook with. It's incredibly easy to cook oatmeal with. I usually add oatmeal/buckwheat/millet PLUS veggies and meat + eggs so it's not just oatmeal. The thing is, I feel great afterwards. No sugar crash hours later, and I stay full for quite a long time. The only small thing that I notice after I eat is that I burp, perhaps a bit more than usual. However, I am eating a lot of food (3-4 bowls of it). I also soak overnight with lemon to remove as many phytates as I can. This being said, do you still think that I should avoid oats? Perhaps it's okay for my body, especially after workouts?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    3-4 bowls per day? I'd say thats too much if your trying to follow a primal diet. But then again if your having it with meat, veggies and eggs in order to get the extra carbs due to workouts I dont see a problem.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I used to make savory oatmeal too, and yes, it is quite tasty. It also leaves my stomach feeling like I weighed it down with a brick. I think Mark's verdict on oats is that they're ok, you could be eating worse stuff. If it works for you, then fine, but aren't there better recovery food options out there?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Some people tolerate dairy (yay meeee!!) others don't. Its not whether dairy is "ok"....its whether its ok for the individual.

I can't tolerate raw onions & garlic, yet most people love them and swear by them. Yes, they're primal - medicinal even - but not in MY gut. Cooked is fine.

The only small thing that I notice after I eat is that I burp, perhaps a bit more than usual.
    Fermentation creating gas? Grains make me burpy and bloated and gassy too. And sometimes cause heartburn. Uncomfortable especially in large doses, but not life threatening.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If it works for you then eat it, it is not primal but to each their own.

I dont know what kind of workouts you are doing but I find it hard to imagine you needed to eat that. There are some seriously hard trainers here, including some working a physically demanding job, cross-fit, and doing an ultramaton and they add good carbs and rice for calories but not as a post work out filler
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Since you're soaking the oats overnight, I see nothing wrong with eating them. As long as you don't notice any negative side effects, I'd say have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    If it works for you then eat it, it is not primal but to each their own.

I dont know what kind of workouts you are doing but I find it hard to imagine you needed to eat that. There are some seriously hard trainers here, including some working a physically demanding job, cross-fit, and doing an ultramaton and they add good carbs and rice for calories but not as a post work out filler
    thanks for the input, everyone.

@dirlot -- I'm actually working out first thing in the morning, so I'm HUNGRY after I finish the workout (at like around 10AM)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Some people tolerate dairy (yay meeee!!) others don't. Its not whether dairy is "ok"....its whether its ok for the individual.

I can't tolerate raw onions & garlic, yet most people love them and swear by them. Yes, they're primal - medicinal even - but not in MY gut. Cooked is fine.

Fermentation creating gas? Grains make me burpy and bloated and gassy too. And sometimes cause heartburn. Uncomfortable especially in large doses, but not life threatening.
    could that be the reason for the burps? fermentation? lol. I was burping so much today >.> Could it just be that I'm eating a LOT?

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    you gut bacteria ferments the grains so that you can digest them. fermentation = co2 = burps/gas.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    could that be the reason for the burps? fermentation? lol. I was burping so much today >.> Could it just be that I'm eating a LOT?
    Well I don't eat grains frequently or in huge quantities, but when I do, I get gassy. Try not eating any for a week and see if you notice the difference. When I transitioned to primal, the absence of gas/bloat was one of the first benefits I noticed. I didn't realize I was gassy until I suddenly WASN'T gassy.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast