Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Pullup page

Edge is offline Member

Perfect Pullup

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just got my hands on a Perfect Pullup system (new, and complete with all of the optional accessories). This at no investment to me ("free"). I'm not sure how I feel about hacking up a door frame for it though. I'm also not sure how I feel about using it. Is it safe? Will something break, and will I fall to my doom?

Anyone have one or tried one of these? I want to use it, and I want to like it, but my wife will not be too thrilled about me screwing this thing into our nice (new house) door frame.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    My SO had one of these in his old house. It was fine, and seemingly safe, but I prefer the kind that requires no installation and can be taken down at will.

I have this one and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Total-Upp...0498537&sr=1-3
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-05-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Suki is offline Senior Member
    My bf and I have the perfect pullup and the perfect pushup. Both products are great and I highly recommend. We have a bar outside that we use so we didn't have to destroy any doors.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I have the one that doesn't attach to the wall, just latches on. The only negative I've seen is that if you don't take it down the black handles might leave marks on the wall, but they don't fall off or cause damage.

Great tool for home workouts

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Edge is offline Member
    Cool. Thanks all. It just seems like it would rip away from the frame, but I'm a lot lighter than I used to be and might still be thinking like a "clydesdale".

I'd rather not mess up a door frame, so I'm looking for a spot under the deck. No luck so far, I'd bump my head on the crossmembers. I'll think of something, or it wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't use it, it was free.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I built something in my garage using eye hooks and homemade handles (boat chain with electrical conduit for the handles held together by a carabiner clip). That would work under your deck... the chain can hand down as long as you need it to so you don't hit your head... 18 inches should do.

If the 2x6 are 16 inches apart, get 3 eyehooks... one for close grip and one for wide grip... the handles can be moved easily.

Edge is offline Member
    Thanks for the idea. I Googled up some good info too (on homemade pullup bars). I think I'm going to simply secure the bar to my deck so that's always in the "swaying" position (see picture) and use it like that. It includes some nifty handles too.

I would like to put it between these two, shorter crossmembers, but there is likely just a few nails securing them to the longer crossmembers. So I'll add a few screws for insurance.

I have concern over there only being 1 screw securing the bar ends to the wood, so I supposed I could use longer bolts with nuts.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I use the perfect pull up system---as does all of my family. Some of us are heavy weights. It is great. Especially with the Abs straps. The screw holes in the door frame are nothing that can't be fixed with some wood putty and stain or paint when you wish to move the system. The best thing about it for me is that because it says,"Seals" on the box my grandsons use it instead of video game control unit.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    I second the Iron Man upper body bar recommendation. I don't have the "extreme edition" that barbeygirl does, but I have no complaints about mine.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I found the perfect pullup on sale for $15 a few months back. I bought one even though I was too overweight to use it (300+ lbs). I installed it (it's only a few screw holes, far from mangling your door frame) and tried it out - not doing a pull up, but just leaning back a bit and doing a modified row. About 5 seconds into it I noticed that the right handle, where the metal forms a 'J', had bent out of shape. I didn't think I was putting nearly 300 lbs of force on it but I guess I was. I ended up getting a new handle and I haven't tried it since. My roommate, who weighs nearly 200 lbs, does all sorts of crazy (and I mean crazy) pullups on it though and it's been fine. I'll be sub-300 lbs by July so I'll test out it's upper limit then and re-post here.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast