Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D & colds vs. beta blockers page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D & colds vs. beta blockers

Shop Now
    Vitamin D No Match for Common Cold

JAMA Network | JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association | Effect of Vitamin D3 Supplementation on Upper Respiratory Tract Infections in Healthy AdultsThe VIDARIS Randomized Controlled TrialVitamin D3 and Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

One study gave subjects massive doses of oral vitamin D3 once a month. The subject did not have significantly fewer upper respiratory infections over two winters (18 months.) Case close. Vitamin D doesn't prevent colds nor lessen their intensity. Throw away those vitamins. [They don't mean profit for Big Pharma.]

Various studies show that beta blockers may not reduce the likelihood of second heart attacks. They may even increase the likelihood of them. Well, hmmm, we need to do lots more studies. Don't stop taking your beta blocker. [That would reduce Big Pharma's profits.]

Are we surprised?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Eh, I don't really believe in synthetic vitamins, so studies conducted with subjects consuming synthetic vitamins means nothing to me.

D3 might block Mg, which would cause problems. Cholesterol drug scam and now the Synthetic Vitamin D3 Scam by Green Pasture But, I'm always suspicious of websites saying something is bad when they sell the alternative.

Sunshine is best. I try to get it when I can. in the winter I sometimes take D capsules. And when I am exposed to a cold, or feel like I am getting one, I do take a lot for a few days (like even 40,000 IU). My results
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

I meant to include a link to the beta blocker news. Here it is.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Don't you have to take A and D together?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I remember hearing something about Vitamin D and colds a long time ago and have always loaded up on the vitamin D supplements whenever I felt one coming on. Seems to work fairly well for me. Sunshine is not always an option during a Michigan winter. I am fairly certain that the lack of vitamin D (via sunshine) in the winter months is the reason that it is then when we get colds for the most part. Or at least part of the reason. I used to use Zicam nasal swab zinc therapy for colds which worked wonders! They took it off the market because it caused some people to lose their sense if smell... I was bummed. I can't handle it orally. It makes me sick to my stomach.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

If you are taking oral D3 and not getting enough A, e.g. from liver, I think you need to take A too. And K.

I was a bit unfair to the D study (in the interest of satire :-). They did suggest that a D deficiency could lead to more respiratory infections. And some doctors welcomed the beta blocker study.

Yeah this study is BS you need other things to process the Vitamin D like K2 and A.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Screw those guys. Vitamin D in conjunction with being Primal has significantly reduced my incidence and severity of colds. Also Vitamin D alone has seemingly given me some superhuman defense against sunburns (I'm incredibly pale and used to burn very easily when the sun was glaring down whilst I was abroad / in a particularly hot summer). I was Primal for months and saw no difference in my sunburns until I started taking 5000/10000iu of Vitamin D every day.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Screw those guys. Vitamin D in conjunction with being Primal has significantly reduced my incidence and severity of colds. Also Vitamin D alone has seemingly given me some superhuman defense against sunburns (I'm incredibly pale and used to burn very easily when the sun was glaring down whilst I was abroad / in a particularly hot summer). I was Primal for months and saw no difference in my sunburns until I started taking 5000/10000iu of Vitamin D every day.
    ^same here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast