Thread: Minimalist winter boots for kids? page

Mamame is offline Senior Member

Minimalist winter boots for kids?

Shop Now
    Winter is coming and I'd really like to find some minimalist boots for my 6 year old (size 13). Winter is cold and lots of snow and barefoot in winter for her is NOT an option. DS and I have SoftStar boots that I love. But DD had a pair of SS's this summer and wore through the stitching in 6 weeks. I'm hesitant to spend $100 on boots for her that might not last until Christmas (I have bought her a second pair of SS's to see if the first pair was just a fluke - but until I know I'm just not willing to chance it). I wanted to buy mukluks but having a heck of a time finding chidrens sizes. Manitobah Mukluks only have one children's style and it is indoor only . Any other suggestions would be most welcome - they do need to be warm - winter is cold here, -40 with the wind chill is not an uncommon temperature first thing in the morning when she is waiting for the bus. Oh, and they need to ship to Canada.

Thanks!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    for just shot bits of walking around, super warm socks and water shoes are the way to go, with just regular boots for playing in the snow and things. don't spend a lot of money on something that isn't going to fit in a few months. water shoes are as minimalist as any other shoe, and the right socks (smartwool is good) can keep those toes warm up to lots of temperatures. i wear my water shoes all winter (in new england...not quite as chili, but still effing cold) and my feet only get cold when i'm wearing the wrong socks and/or get caught in a heavy snow storm.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Socks and water shoes aren't an option for wearing to school - boots are a necessity as we get a lot of snow - and it stays on the ground all winter long. If DD is outside she WILL be in the snow. They'll be worn frequently and I'd really like something as unstructured as possible.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamame View Post
    Socks and water shoes aren't an option for wearing to school - boots are a necessity as we get a lot of snow - and it stays on the ground all winter long. If DD is outside she WILL be in the snow. They'll be worn frequently and I'd really like something as unstructured as possible.
    Winter boots are tricky, because they need to be warm, so you probably can't just use plain rubber boots. I wouldn't think it would make a big difference if they wore regular snow boots just while they play in the snow, and then afterwards put on their minimalist shoes.

On a related note, a few seconds of searching and I found these: Cold Water Boots - Oneill Superfreak 3mm Split Toe Booties | Be Sportier

Lol.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I( think soft star will resew the shoes if she still fits in them. Just a thought as softstar boots were my first thought. although, I put my daughter in kamiks in the winter. not exactly minimalist but warm to -50

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I was looking into getting mukluks from Manitobah - Welcome Canadian store with vibram soles. Likely not worth it for your kids, but maybe for you :P The only thing that worries me is all the salt that the city puts onto roadways and sidewalks will ruin them and they are pretty pricey.