Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping CW Food Around? page

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member

Keeping CW Food Around?

I still have a decent amount of canned soups, beans, rice, pasta, frozen bagged dinners, peanut butter, etc in the cabinets/freezer, although freezer space is becoming precious as I stockpile meat. I have zero temptation or desire to eat any of it--I think of it as my "omg, zombies!" stash of emergency stuff. I guess maybe I'll donate it...but I'd feel weird getting rid of it. You know, just in case. Zombies.

Do you guys keep stuff around for an absolute worst-case scenario? I seriously don't ever have a desire to eat it, so that part is a non-issue.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Katana
    Bow
    SledgeHammer
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I have zero temptation or desire to eat any of it--I think of it as my "omg, zombies!" stash of emergency stuff. I guess maybe I'll donate it...but I'd feel weird getting rid of it. You know, just in case. Zombies.
    I am not as much worried about zombies as I am snowstorms and tornados. Not at the same time, but you know, sometime when we might not have power & services for 3 - 7 days. I have donated some stuff though, and given some to family, but some I do keep like canned goods, etc just incase. Now I will add zombies to my list.

Not that long ago though, I was clearing out some stuff in my freezers to make more room, and normally I would give it to my sister as they always have too much month left at the end of the money, but this time, I just couldnt do it. I didnt feel right and in good conscious giving her stuff that I knew wasn't good for her family either. So I pitched it. It would have been okay to keep around for 20%, it was things like baked goods - muffins, breads, biscuits, and cookie doughs, but they had been in there for a year probably, so I just pitched it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    I gave some stuff to family. A lot of my gluten free breads, mixes and pasta went to my cousin for her little ones, she has 2, both coeliac. I had mixed feelings about it too, but I figured, they're kids, my cousin is pretty much primal too, because she has IBS (probably from years of undiagnosed coeliac) but for the kids, it's different, they want to eat what other kids eat even though they have to be GF, they like mac n'cheese, they like baking GF cakes, and rightly or wrongly, my cousin doesn't want to impose her choice of diet on the children or restrict them even more than they already are as coeliacs.

I suppose if I lived somewhere more remote where I could get cut off in bad weather I might keep more stuff around, but I live in a city close to shops and stuff, so it's pretty unlikely.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I still have a decent amount of canned soups, beans, rice, pasta, frozen bagged dinners, peanut butter, etc in the cabinets/freezer, although freezer space is becoming precious as I stockpile meat. I have zero temptation or desire to eat any of it--I think of it as my "omg, zombies!" stash of emergency stuff. I guess maybe I'll donate it...but I'd feel weird getting rid of it. You know, just in case. Zombies.

Do you guys keep stuff around for an absolute worst-case scenario? I seriously don't ever have a desire to eat it, so that part is a non-issue.
    If I lived alone (4 others in my family); I would have none of those foods. If you aren't going to eat it, donate it.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I have a couple boxes of angel hair pasta, couple cans of retried beans, a can of pasta sauce that has added sugar, peanut butter, etc... Although zombies are a big concern, mostly I keep it around for other people that might come over for dinner, particularly kids. I have no desire to eat any of it and haven't touched it in the 4 plus months that I have been primal. The freezer is all primal though... no room for crap in there!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I've been slowly throwing stuff out. I was keeping it around for husband, but he is eating more primal. It felt good to throw out soysage to make room for kielbasa and bacon.

Honestly, if the shit hits the fan, a week of lean cuisines doesn't buy you much.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    My wife is decidedly not Primal, so I have no choice but to have it around. So long as I prepare my meals and don't let myself run out of things, I'm fine. I usually allow myself one cheat meal a week and that takes the shine off CW food for the rest of the week.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    I did the same thing. A shelf in my pantry has noodles, flour, beans, etc. I have no desire to eat any of it but it's stupid not to have at least a small amount of "emergency" food laid by in the event of a local or national emergency. These foods that we eschew are awfully handy as stockpile items for if SHTF.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I didn't "purge" my cupboards and I'm glad I didn't.

Sugar? I'm making kombucha. Check. Plus, helpful when you have company, especially distant in-laws.

Table salt? Still good for boiling water, gargling when sick, and killing slugs (not sure about zombies).

Flour? I stuffed it in the back of the fridge in the garage. Will probably be "volunteered" at some point to make a dessert for church/school. Don't feel like spending $$$$ on almond flour for something kids will only take one bite out of anyways.

Canned soup and frozen meals? I didn't have a lot of that hanging around anyways, and I used up some of that stuff to make a chili for a church pot-luck (it was still the healthiest thing there).

I was buying peanut butter that had only peanuts in it, so we just kept using it until it ran out. If it was a type that had weird vegetable oils in it I probably would have donated it or tossed it if it was open.

I donated some of the other unopened stuff.

I kept some for the 20% rule. Green split peas got wapf-ed for two days and made a rocking potato-less snert.

Depends on how bad the ingredients list is, I guess. I think I still have a lonely veggie-burger in the back of my freezer, do you think it could be composted? Or is it better off as a "science experiment"? See how long it takes to be eaten/mold on the back porch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast