Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keeping CW Food Around? page 3

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty sure there's a ridiculous amount of grains/legumes in our emergency storage. I can't bring myself to toss it though--I'm thinking if things ever get bad enough to need it, it's better than being hungry, and maybe I can go the WAPF route and soak/sprout/ferment/something...

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    After considering this since I started the post, I think I'm going to start phasing out my emergency stores and replacing them with more primal stuff. I can swap out beans and canned foods with sardines, canned salmon, etc; I'll just buy a little extra every time I go shopping and rotate through it as it nears expiration. I should be able to start donating all the bad stuff as I get more primal food stockpiled. Probably keep some rice, though.

I'm really big on having a few weeks' worth of supplies (or more) just in case there's ever some huge catastrophe that disrupts supplies. Also...zombies.

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    I ditched most of mine, gave it to friends and the really grim stuff went in the bin (vintage bulk bought soy sauce? No thanks)

I've got a box of lasagne sheets I thought I'd keep if I was desperate to make a traditional lasagne. Mood hasn't struck me yet. I've got a little flour and some questionable condiments in the fridge and pita bread in the freezer. Not enough to make a difference to me, and nothing tempting.

For a number of months I kept the remaining portion of my BF's last hurrah pasta dish before I cocerced him to go primal. A few weeks ago I showed him it and offered it to him for dinner. He made a disgusted face and threw it in the bin. Result!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    I have kids, one is super picky, aka there are Wheat Thins in my cupboard. I never bought canned soup, always from scratch, but I do have beans and spaghetti sauce and pasta. And I bake and poison others alllll the time. I find pleasure in the process, I can give it away and not miss a bite.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    For the zombie apocalypse, I'd just as soon have things like canned tuna and coconut milk ... it might be harder to outrun zombies while feeling lethargic from eating pasta
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Probably keep some rice, though.
    What do you plan on doing with the rice if the power is out? ie: how would you cook it if there is no power, a fire?? Is this the kind of emergency people are talking about (zombies aside)?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Fire or camping stove, if it got to the point where I needed to cook rice. I camp a LOT, so I have the food prep using minimal resources thing down.

jpatti is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I had some tinned vegetables that someone gave me when she was cleaning out her pantry. I have NO IDEA why I took them as I never, ever eat tinned vegetables. I thought of donating them, but there seems to be nowhere around to donate stuff like that TO! (Well I've looked and I'd have to take it over 100km to donate... *sigh*).
    Try Freecycle and/or CraigsList - there's someone hungry out there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123