Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap non-primal parents say that make you want to slap them... page 2

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Last time I visited my friend she fed her kid "chicken" nuggets and Mac and cheese for dinner. And followed it with ice cream! Which I guess wouldn't be that bad, but she told me that its "all she will eat", so I take it that this is a pretty regular dinner. My neighbor buys soy-sage, fake hot dogs, and a bunch of other meatless crap to feed to her kid. The sad part is that she isn't even a vegetarian! She thinks that as far as convenience foods go these options are healthier.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Well I *do* have children, and there is never a time when that is OK. Its even worse when its INSIDE a restaurant. People think because a restaurant hands out kids menus and crayons that they can treat it like the PlayPlace at McDonalds. I think they are missing the point that the crayons are to make the kids sit down and do something quiet.
    Well thank you for being a good parent! I feel terrible when I have to tell someone to come get their kid so it will leave me alone. I do it, but I feel terrible.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My son is social, but we taught him these boundaries early. When he was a baby-baby (crawling and early walker), we'd let him range a bit in a restaurant *if* there weren't a lot of people around AND we would ask them "do you mind if he crawls around? he might come up to you." Most people were very cool about it.

When he turned 2, though, we started hard-core on public manners. Most of it was through mirroring (I would behave myself, he would behave like me), and by the time he was 3, he has restaurants, theaters, and museums down pat. He doesn't run around, he doesn't yell, and he might say hello to others and be friendly (ie, invite their children over to the play area, or bring a toy to their baby, or bring them a magazine or newspaper), all of which is socially OK here without permission. It's also just nice.

He knows that there are strict rules in restaurants, and if you don't follow them we leave immediately. There is one warning "if you do not behave like a gentleman, we will leave." This is *before* we enter the restaurant. And, only on days when he's particularly fractious (which we usually avoid restaurants during these days anyway). And, he knows we follow through. I am *strict*.

It's annoying when kids run amok. I watched my cousins do that growing up, and I'd never been more embarrassed. So, I do differently.

Lorena is offline Junior Member
    I work in a restaurant and it makes me sick to watch parents order their kids -- really, really young kids -- soda after soda. And then feed them chicken fingers, mac n cheese, fries, ice cream. It's the soda, though, that really gets to me. Oh, and most of the time, each kid is watching videos his own private iPad or whatever while the parents are lost in their phones. You should have to be over the age of 18 to be able to purchase soda, like cigarettes. That would never work, though.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't interact much with children, but my pet peeve is people who bring their children to places with casual outdoor seating and then ignore their kids while they yell and play and run around and run into all the patrons and bump into your chair and come over and stare at you and only when one of them actually touches you or falls down and starts to cry do the parents say anything, and for some of the worst ones, it takes several bouts of empty threats to their kids before they actually will get up and do something. I really hate that. I prefer people's dogs coming over and putting their slobbery noses on my lap to these feral restaurant kids and their clueless parents.
    That would be my boyfriend's grandkids. Neither of us raised our kids that way, but his son's wife just lets them run wild. They're actually really good in a restaurant, but any place else and they're running and screaming the whole time. I can only handle it for a very short time (it's freaking EMBARASSING!) and then I don't care who gets offended, those kids are going to behave. I just take over.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I visited my cousin and she put her kid in a high chair (make note of the high chair because it indicates age) and fed her a package of Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Even before Primal I thought this was the stupidest thing ever and I couldn't believe I was related to her.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    And, he knows we follow through.
    That's the only part of discipline that matters.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Today I had to do the horrible to DS.

You see, he loves sticks as swords, but he's been poking people with them. We've tried containing it and explaining, but we said "if it doesn't change, we'll take sticks away." Well, today I had to take sticks away. I packed up all of the sticks (there had to be 100 of them), and put them into a bundle and put them in my friend's storage area behind her house (there's a lock). Also, it's "no sticks in the office" either. He poked a client, and that's the end of it.

Poke me once, warning. Poke dad, warning. Poke client -- no sticks. He cried and screamed and carried on, and then we cuddled and I said that I knew that he was upset about it -- and I understand -- but it's my job to keep everyone safe, and he was not being safe with his sticks, so he doesn't get to have his sticks until he can be safe with them. He apologized (which is sweet), and then we went to read stories.

He's so cute when he tantrums. He yells "You are doing everything WRONG! You are MEAN! You are saying/doing the WRONG THING! You ALWAYS so the WRONG THING!" Just let him get through the big part (where he needs to flail around), and then it's cuddles and he tells me that he's angry (or that he was), and I explain why I took X away or said no to Y and so on.

Cute really. Everything goes very quickly. Today, we didn't watch carefully for his "h-angry" signals, and so we had a bit more fractious behavior and tantrums than normal. We usually get through a day with 0-2 tantrums (not bad for a 4 yr old), but today we easily had 4-6.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Not something that someone said to a child, but rather what I saw (many years ago) outside a supermarket in Edinburgh. A young mother had a screaming baby in a buggy - the baby must have been about 5 months old - and to quieten it down she filled its bottle with Coca Cola, and broke a Mars bar into chunks and gave them both to the baby. I dread to think how that poor mite turned out ....

I've always been classed as a "strict" mother by my children's friends - bad behaviour isn't tolerated, and warnings have always been followed through. As they grow older (now 17, 15 and 12), the behaviour grew less and less, and they're turning out pretty well, I'm told.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I was at a friend's house after breakfast. At 4PM his mom offered us something to eat (bread only) I said "I get heartburn from bread, it may be the gluten" her reply was: "ah maybe you should try white bread instead".

Also yesterday I saw a mother and child at the supermarket buying soda and pizza etc. the mom was constantly angry and screaming to her child because he asked her to buy bacon. I don't know if I was dick for doing this, but I felt bad for the kid and said to the mom she should stop feeding her son fast food
    Billie trips balls

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast