Thread: Accidentally anorexic page

Primal Fuel

I don't want to turn this into a "woe is me" post. Rather a gentle statement of admonishment to my primal sisters out there. This goes back to the many menstrual posts around the forum. I haven't had my cycle for 2 years, all of my blood work came back normal, and my doctor gave me a clean bill of health basically telling me that all I needed to do was take some extra calcium and that a loss of menses for an athlete is (although not optimal) relatively normal.

The palms of my hands have turned an orangish yellow and I haven't ever thought anything of it. I feel great, and I attributed it to the the large amount of veg that I eat on the primal diet. My parent urged me to get it looked at and thought that it might be my thyroid. Low and behold, I am malnurished. Lack of period, yellow-orange tinted palms, lack of sex drive, it's all there. But I feel great, I'm getting gains in the gym, very defined muscles, etc. This is a very hard pill to swallow, in fact swallowing a pill would be easier than what is necessary.

So, I will start to take in more calories, even though I am not hungry. Ladies, be very careful. Primal is a great way to live and I have never felt better, but the power to suppress the appetite sometimes works too well! I also apologize to the group of you that warned me against this months ago and I just didn't see it. Maybe this will alert others!

hannahm34 is offline Member

I have been reading intensely on all this "period" talk because I, too, have the same problem. Although I am very stressed about it, because I want kids in the next 2 years or so. I made an appointment with my gyno and will see what she says. This has happened to me in the past when I wasn't losing weight the right way. They gave me provera....still no period....Took an ultrasound and everything was normal. So basically they put me on yaz and it made me absolutely crazy (hormonal, moody water weight) Went off of it after 2 months and started getting my period "somewhat regularly" for the next 2 years. Then I decided to become skinny the absolutely most healthy way (lots of good fat, exercise, weight lifting, lots of sleep) and lo and behold I've lost my damn cycle again for the last 7 months. I'm so stressed about it cause I actually want kids.

Sorry for the rant....but I can completely relate to you PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess!

What are your plans to gain weight in order to get your cycle back??

hfox is offline Junior Member

PJAP and hannahm34, the way that I look at it is that although the menstrual problems are pretty frustrating and worrying, the good news is that we have a clear explanation for *why* we stopped menstruating in the first place. Fortunately, we don't have any overly complicated health problems. Instead, it's all about eating more food; my guess is that the majority of people with any "health problem" would love to hear that they need only to up their calories, get back up to a healthy weight, perhaps exercise a little bit less intensely and will soon be on the proverbial road to recovery. We're so lucky that it seems to be that simple.

Good luck to you both :-)

[quote]

We're so lucky that it seems to be that simple.</blockquote>

I think the key word here is "seems". It isn't that simple. Trying to eat more is like telling an addict just to stop taking the drugs. While I will never see myself as anorexic, I am a perfectionist and have incredible drive to have the very best physique that I can. The thought of "just eating more" scares the hell out of me.

Hannah, I am going to try to up my caloric intake by adding some more fat and protein, I am still going to keep my carbs inline. Baby steps. Going to keep track of my calories on fitday and shoot for 1800 a day.

I don't want kids, but I certainly don't want to look like a victim of self-tanner for the rest of my life.