Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Is Paleo All or Nothing? page 2

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    37
    I eased into low carb first. It got to the point where I couldn't cheat without getting sick with diarrhea or something. So eventually the cheat meals went away. Then after reading "Wheat Belly" I dropped low-carb wraps from my diet and anything else that was processed (as much as possible).

    I would eliminate foods for two reasons 1) I did research to justify why it was bad for me and 2) If I eat the foods, I get terribly sick.

    So far, all I have left in my diet that I can tolerate is meat, eggs, cheese, coffee, cream, small amounts of fruit, veggies, and nuts. Starting to phase out splenda for stevia.

  2. #12
    MouthDR's Avatar
    MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    105
    I think that 80/20 rules is something that ALL diet promoters offer. It allows for people to feel like they can have their cake and eat it to. And it helps sell the diet (and more books incidentally) to those not willing to make a serious effort.

    I don't prescribe to that philosophy. I don't understand how someone could be paleo, which includes an understanding of why we don't eat grains/legumes/seeds, and then think it "OK" to have them occasionally. Why then even be "paleo," ever?

    But then I remember: a lot of people are just trying to lose weight or get jacked. While a small handful of us are trying to get healthy and remain that way.

  3. #13
    Sandra in BC's Avatar
    Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    One question that keeps coming up for me is, if you do not meet the low carb benchmarks on a given day or indulge in a "bad food" are you doing more damage to the body then if you were not eating Primal at all?
    Who ever said paleo/primal was low carb? Just eat real food. "low carb" is a guideline for fat loss. Eat all the carbs you need/tolerate to maintain the body comp you're looking for.

    By avoiding wheat, soy and corn in all forms, I've cut down my refined foods and carbohydrate intake dramatically. But I don't pretend to eat "low carb"....I still get plenty of carbs from vegetables, fruit, starchy tubers, some dairy, etc. All carbs are not created equal.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

  4. #14
    Liam's Avatar
    Liam is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    98
    Paleo is not all or nothing.
    What's better? Eating 80-90% real whole food or 20-30% real whole food?
    A lot of people on this forum have an absolutists POV on Paleo. That if you're not doing 100% Paleo, you're not doing it properly and shouldn't even try.
    This is palpable nonsense. You get massive, massive health benefits by moving from a SAD to a 80-90% Paleo diet.
    That you can get these benefits and still enjoy regular things like pizza and beer (yes, they are enjoyable for many if not most), is a major selling point for Paleo. And if we're going to get more people to go Paleo (which I passionately believe in), we need to use this selling point more. I'd rather millions more eating 70% paleo than zero more because it's "all or nothing".
    One step at a time. Get folks to 80% Paleo, THEN worry about the remaining 20%.

  5. #15
    Karma's Avatar
    Karma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts
    654
    I keep feeling compelled to answer such questions with the reminder that the diet portion is just one element of living a more Primal/Paleo life. It's equally important that you address the other facets of your life, particularly exercise patterns, sleep and stress. It's not JUST about diet folks.

  6. #16
    sophie6's Avatar
    sophie6 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    2
    i do the 80/20 its more healthy for the mind, because its to hard to shift so drastically when you are living on these times, paloe changed my life and i feel happy and healthy this blog make me take the paleo decision The paleo recipe book and i will never regret.

  7. #17
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,068
    I think it is less about carbs/fats/proteins and more about avoiding toxic foods. If you have gluten issues (or soy, or oils), when you eat them after being primal, you may end up feeling like ass. I can't have 20% if it includes grains and expect to not feel OK. However, I can enjoy ice cream and feel fine. You need to find those things and your level of tolerance.

    I don't think that eating paleo/primal plus an occasional cheat is worse than CW, however, depending on you and your metabolism, you can get fatter if you over eat. It's hard to overeat meat and veggies, but when you add in easy to overeat 20% stuff....

  8. #18
    MouthDR's Avatar
    MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Paleo is not all or nothing.
    What's better? Eating 80-90% real whole food or 20-30% real whole food?
    A lot of people on this forum have an absolutists POV on Paleo. That if you're not doing 100% Paleo, you're not doing it properly and shouldn't even try.
    This is palpable nonsense. You get massive, massive health benefits by moving from a SAD to a 80-90% Paleo diet.
    That you can get these benefits and still enjoy regular things like pizza and beer (yes, they are enjoyable for many if not most), is a major selling point for Paleo. And if we're going to get more people to go Paleo (which I passionately believe in), we need to use this selling point more. I'd rather millions more eating 70% paleo than zero more because it's "all or nothing".
    One step at a time. Get folks to 80% Paleo, THEN worry about the remaining 20%.
    If you can get such great health benefits from 80% (which clearly means it's better for you) why would you ever consider keeping the 20% non-paleo? It's like saying I'll smoke light cigarettes because it's healthier for me than standard smokes. How about cutting them out altogether?

    I don't think we're being elitist when we say all or nothing. You can't claim to be anything unless you are 100% on board. And frankly, I don't see why someone would come on a paleo board to only be partially in agreement with it's ideology and philosophy?

  9. #19
    DCarr10760's Avatar
    DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,028
    I think people often get very enthusiastic about methodologies that work for them and this gives them a sense that they understand it all because, "it works for me!"

    That enthusiasm can turn to arrogance in some and then they start with the elitist attitude. I myself can fall into this trap too. I think that people have to do what feels right and works for them.

    Different parts of PB have appeal to different people depending on their needs. I'm focused on the weight loss and diet, because that's what I need right now. As I lose more fat, I am certain that my focus will change to include more exercise, it already has.

    Some people just like to argue and debate too. Give them a principle they believe in, (subject to their understanding of it) and they'll enjoy debating it to all comers. Hopefully it is done respectfully
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 224
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 30.5

  10. #20
    Grumpycakes's Avatar
    Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,591
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was totally compliant with the PB for a few years. Then I moved to a more 60/40 eating style with bread a few times a week, no restrictions on the sugary foods I love like nanaimo bars and Smarties, and other "transgressions" whenever I feel like it. I am no worse off for it. In fact I feel much better than when I was worrying about PB-approved foods. And now that I allow myself to eat whatever I want, there is no temptation to binge.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •