Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morbidly obese - how to get started exercising? page

Binti1962 is offline Junior Member

Morbidly obese - how to get started exercising?

Primal Fuel
    hI, Im new to this site but am loving what Im finding here! i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?

Thanks,
    Sarah

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Hi Sarah, I've lost over 180lbs now (about 50lbs of that on primal), so I know how you feel!

The honest truth for me is that I've not found exercise to be hugely helpful as far as the weight loss goes. It certainly helps with muscle tone and energy levels, but I've not noticed that it results in more weight loss than clean eating alone does.

That said, my approach was to find exercisey things that I enjoyed doing. Like hiking. So, the hubby and I started years ago by taking small little hikes. I think our first one was around a tiny lake near us, and I remember being so worn out after. Now we routinely do 15 mile hikes. We also love to explore cities. Just the other week, I walked from Union Square in San Francisco, wandered through Chinatown and North Beach, all the piers, the Palace of Fine Arts, down Crissy Field, over the Golden Gate Bridge, and into Sausalito. That's not something I could have ever imagined doing 180lbs ago.

Just find something you enjoy doing and your endurance will build. And if you make sure to eat cleanly along the way, every pound you lose will help you to have more endurance.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Just walk for now. Seriously. It's excellent for weight loss and will get you moving. Walk everyday and try to work up your 'steps per day' to 10,000 (5 total miles throughout the entire day).

I think the slow frequent movement part of Mark's recommendations are really key to weight loss.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    The best thing you can do is walk. Walk as far as you feel comfortable, even if it's just to the mailbox and back or to the end of the sidewalk and back and then increase your distance little by little.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I also feel like I should add, take special care not to injure yourself while becoming more active. That can set you back big time. On one of our first big hikes when I was near my top weight, I pushed myself too hard, ended up tearing a calf muscle and was in a lot of pain for about a month.

So be careful and work within your limits. Get good shoes if you need them, don't push yourself too hard, and most importantly, keep it fun or you won't be motivated to continue doing it.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    walk. even super fit people should walk a lot.

if you're resistant, try adding another project to it. i like the idea of taking a walk to capture a photo a day. head out with a goal to take a picture of something specific each day. so, for a week, take pictures that capture these things:
    arrow
    orange
    laughter
    love
    slow
    family
    the letter j

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Isometric pushup attempts?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Doing the first step of pushups and planks that Mark suggests would be pretty good starting point in addition to the walking. Wall pushups and the hands/knees plank are easy enough and you can increase the number or time as you progress.
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Walking is a great way to start exercising. I would also check out the book Body By Science and start working my way towards a strength training program. BBS very slow cadence makes it doable for almost anyone.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Walking and the modified pushups and planks that were mentioned. You could also add in the assisted squats that Mark shows on that youtube video that's out there. Sorry, no link.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast