Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Morbidly obese - how to get started exercising? page 3

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Binti1962 View Post
    hI, Im new to this site but am loving what Im finding here! i have been eating primal for three days now, and have lost 4 lbs. i would like to start in incorporating exercise into my day, but am 100 pounds over weight and have very poor exercise tolerance. How do I start? Any ideas for the very obese?

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Walk, lovely lady. Walk and walk and walk. Treat yourself to a good pair of walking shoes and a water bottle. If you enjoy music, plug into an ipod and enjoy some of your favourite tunes. If your schedule allows for it, try to get out 2 or 3 x a day for short walks, until you are able to build up to longer distances. Enjoy the fresh air and meeting some of your neighbours (when we drive everywhere, we don't meet anyone). I've had neighbours ask me if they can join me on my evening walks. What a great way to shed pounds, get the digestive system working well, embrace fresh air and meet some like-minded neighbours. Let us know how you make out. /louisa
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    In addition to walking, I'd also recommend swimming as it's invigorating and also easy on the joints.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Binti1962 is offline Junior Member
    This forum is such a blessing! Thank you all for your replies.

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    In addition to walking, I'd also recommend swimming as it's invigorating and also easy on the joints.
    To start out try walking through the shallow part of the pool, then put your face in the water and swim through the deep part. Swimming is a great full body exercise that won't leave your joints aching the next day.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyJ View Post
    To start out try walking through the shallow part of the pool, then put your face in the water and swim through the deep part. Swimming is a great full body exercise that won't leave your joints aching the next day.
    Have never thought about it before - but yes it has never left my joints aching. It's just the chlorine that I have issue with.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    In Gary Taubes book he cites research that says exercise is not a factor for weight loss for very overweight. He says it is good for your health but not as a weight loss tool. In the 30's they used to prescribe bed rest for the obese to lose weight.
    I would do as others have said, go for walks in the fresh air as this is good for you. Then as you lose weight maybe look at what you enjoy doing.
    Good luck.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    walk,
    walk down the street, 4 driveways, then come home,
    do same in other direction next day,
    each day go a little further than last time,
    walk around the block,
    next day go other directiion,
    now do it faster, still walking,

i went from 265 to 210, 4 driveways to 4+ miles, sprints, fun runs, woods runs,
    walk

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Do you go to a gym? I would suggest walking and playing on the weight machines if you do. It's not hard, believe me, I was considerably higher than 100 pounds overweight when I started! I still have at least a hundred to go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123